Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

If I still havent played talos and I have a rift, should I play the VR port or the non vr version for the first time?

same question for alien isolation and subnautica I guess

The VR port of Talos is good but it’s also the only VR title I’ve played that consistently makes me want to vomit. If you don’t get motion sickness though it’d be excellent.

Absolutely play Subnautica in VR though. It takes some fiddling to get right as the UI can be a little too close to your face but it’s worth it. After playing through Subnautica in VR I can’t go back to the non-VR version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

The main comment everyone throws out is that it's motion sickness-inducing but not why...Also that they abandoned updating it and that it's missing features the 2d version has at this point. Still on the fence about playing the port over the normal version.

The only thing that gets me sick in VR is smooth turning for some reason. Being able to free spin in place ruins me, whereas I can spin around just as fast with no ill effect with snap turn..no clue why it's not the reverse like I'd expect.

If there are any features missing from the VR version I haven’t noticed them—granted I’ve only gotten about 25% of the way through the game though.

The sliding movement in Talos is what kills me. It’s not turning since you have to physically do that yourself. If you use the teleportation option it’s a lot better but the game doesn’t feel as satisfying that way. I don’t know why it’s just Talos that does it because that same motion style in other games, e.g. The Mage’s Tale I’m perfectly fine with.

The one advantage that VR Talos has is that precise placement of objects feels so much more natural than standard. I don’t know if that alone is worth it though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

flatluigi posted:

"a prick online" is understating that the game's director was an outspoken gamergate supporter and a loving Burzum fan who considers the game's all-white cast to be a selling point & intentionally stoked anger to sell the game directly to the alt-right crowd

There’s also some kinda chuddy content in the game itself. It’s not that in-your-face but there were a bunch of times playing I thought “wow that’s kind of inappropriate/tone deaf.” At the time I didn’t know about the issues with the director but when I eventually heard about it the pieces fell into place.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

OgNar posted:

I've got this on Switch, I should finish it one day.
Very cool scenery.

The scenery I find the most amusing is their gate which was lifted from the Friendship Arch in Philly's Chinatown:

Not that it's a problem to pull that as an inspiration, but the devs might have wanted to check out what the writing on the arch meant before they put it into their game wholesale. Dex isn't set in Philadelphia so it's a little bit odd to have a big arch saying "Philadelphia Chinatown" on it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Len posted:

It won't game over you but it really depends on how much you enjoy repeating the same bits over and over getting a little farther each time until you finally solve the puzzle

Also you have to have the tolerance to repeat a 10-15 minute long sequence of actions over and over and not getting any farther when you miss a platforming jump or get your timing slightly off and ruins the run.

I don’t, which is why I don’t like Outer Wilds. Finished it, uninstalled it, and will probably never pick up the DLC or ever play it again. I definitely get the appeal of game but it’s not for everyone.