Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That doesn't include the campaign, does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

You're doing god's work, stick insect

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The series that holds up best is probably the quest for glory series, and even that one is pockmarked with dead man walking scenarios and crap. Fortunately, by QFG3, the Coles generally had their act together, and I still maintain that QFG4 is the best adventure game of the entire 90s as long as you can set up an emulation scheme that eliminates the bugs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this is why stick insect is doing god's work.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The Origin free game is now Dead in Bermuda, whatever the hell that is.

lost the management game. a party of folks crash on an island, you need to keep them fed, healthy, and safe from one another as you explore the island, solve the crazy mystery on it, and work toward getting rescued.

some deep and annoying flaws but a good way to vaporize an afternoon.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Season 1 is a full story in and of itself, though; if you're thirsty for more there are more Telltale games in the same vein, though Season 1 is generally considered to be the strongest of them by far.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've tried on 3 separate occasions to play the starcraft 2 campaigns and i always end up conking out due to exactly how much i loathe jim raynor

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, going from assassinating Kerrigan to suddenly deciding not to was a real bad move.
that's a big part of it but there's also more

like his entire operation against mengsk. you could jive with it if he could talk about how mengsk is an rear end in a top hat, is bad for the common good, and talk about what he sees coming after he takes mengsk down - you know, basic, basic insurgent poo poo that people have done again and again since forever

instead raynor says mengsk is an rear end in a top hat, stops there, never elaborates, and when his subordinates are like "hey and after we kill him it's gonna be great afterward right, jim? .....right?" raynor basically goes "lol idk that's your problem im just leading you all on because my hate boner will never go down"

okay great thanks i'm glad you made my player surrogate a completely moronic psychopath

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the game is actually that tone deaf. there's no reason to think the game had anything profound or interesting to say as its development was so troubled it couldn't even stay on message mechanically.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

is that colonel sanders doing a kamehameha

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Bureau is a reasonably good game in its own right, actually. it just should never have had the XCOM name.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that last one is exactly as good as implied tho

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

even in New Lands the game is also very unbalanced; as an example, i continue to be unclear on how farmers are ever useful when your alternative is to just cut down the trees and let your archers create approximately all the money ever by shooting rabbits.

i mean, grab the game and have fun with it, it's a fantastic way to kill an afternoon - but don't expect a lot of the game, it's not terribly well thought out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dead space is still very worth a play, yes

the dude space sequels maybe not so much, but dead space, fo SHO.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah, exactly.

Far Cry 4 literally had an alternate ending if you stood still and did nothing for 15 minutes at the beginning of the game.

Far Cry 5 has one if you do nothing for SIXTY SECONDS at the beginning of the game.

the issue with FC4's fake-out ending is that it was generally so good and satisfying that if someone got that one first they might not ever go forward with the game proper. that's what happened to me - i got asked to help move some furniture shortly after the game commenced, and i just left the game running while i shifted the weight. i got back just as pagan min was talking about the crab rangoon and got this kind of cool and very practical ending. i was like 'okay, neat', and then when i got about a quarter of the way through the main campaign it became really obvious that the fake-out was way better and more satisfying than anything else i was going to get from that game.

i still have almost no time on FC4 because i happened to find the good ending pretty early on and i was satisfied with it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-flame-in-the-flood

some quirky game from bioshock veterans is free for 48 hours, get you one

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this is on gog, not steam, but you can use the community edition all the same by googling for it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How does it work with Amazon prime? Do you get a steam key?

no you have to use twitch's own stupid client thinger

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's no more and no less free than the indiegala dance that's described in the op, so basically take your picks on whether or not that headache is worth it to you for the games on offer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Worth noting: Only buy the sequel if you really really enjoy Orwell.

It's a competent game but it is definitely not as good as Orwell.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i don't even see where it would allow me to download it. i clicked its download button, it took me to a page it said was claimed by me, and then there's just a shitload of ads.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Kins posted:

Scroll down past all the ads and you'll find the download link.

got it, thanks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Stick Insect posted:

From what I can tell this means installing epic's own distribution software and you'll have to use that to install/play the games.

that's definitely what it'll mean. epic is making a serious play to dethrone steam as the de-facto platform to launch your game on with greater community and game page control for game makers and a much more equitable profit split (12% to platform instead of steam's 30%)

now what they need is a shitload of people on the platform so game makers have a market to advertise to. there is no way you are getting those games without installing their platform, but from their press releases that might not be such a bad thing. the epic platform is gunning for steam directly, rather than just trying to maintain some absurd fiefdom over their own games the way EA and Ubisoft did

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

subnautica's also old as hell i have no idea how you haven't played it to death yet already lol

*looks around nervously, sweats, furiously registers free game on phone under table*

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the real cost you're paying with the epic store is your privacy and data, to an even larger extent than usual. the epic store's privacy policy basically says "your data is now our data and we will spend it on drugs", says they will collect more broad and personally identifiable data, and gives fewer guarantees about your privacy than humble, indiegala, etc. when challenged about it last year the guy in charge of the store got huffy and said "we're giving more money to developers than steam, you guys will have to decide what is anti-consumer for yourselves."

normally this would be kind of whatever, but Epic is also 40% owned by Tencent, which the chinese government has publicly bragged about directly owning a huge chunk of in the past. that plus the laws about chinese companies being 100% forced to turn over any and all information the chinese government asks for, for any reason and without requiring a warrant, means that all of the information you make available to epic can and probably will show up in a CCP database at some point, and the CCP has been caught red handed setting up call banks to run robocall scams and other shady poo poo with the data they harvest from western sources.

personally the tencent connection is what made me unwilling to deal with epic until that privacy junk is fixed, but if you're already using a burner everything or just honestly think your information isn't worth anything because you're super broke or something, then it remains a fine option.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I don't know whether to tell you to go see exactly how many different things Tencent has invested in or to ask whether you boycott Google and Steam too

i'm very aware of how many things tencent has their fingers in, thanks for motoring over the other parts of my post though.

njsykora posted:

Tencent have their fingers in literally every digital distribution platform and a stake in roughly half the games industry at this point, but "Tencent is going to steal your credit card info for the Chinese government" is a solid new escalation on that scare tactic.

the laws that make it extremely easy for the CCP to collect data from its vassal companies are pretty new, and one of the proverbial straws that broke the camel's back on half of the world's governments getting super paranoid about doing business with chinese companies(/Huawei).

the shady poo poo the CCP does with data isn't new or interesting, what changed was the overt signals that they'd be stepping it up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You can do what you want with your data but the notion that the biggest threat to its security is a free video game is wonderful.
who said this exactly because it wasn't me

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i don't remember saying any of this poo poo yall are just trying to get dramatic for whatever reason

equifax was super lovely and it's abominable that people weren't turned inside out for that horseshit. just, i'm not down to drop fresh and actionable data into a pipeline that is basically guaranteed to result in more spam, more scam attempts, and more bullshit headaches. if you are and you think the epic store giveaways are worth that hassle to you then fuckin more power to you man, that's a decision everyone has to make for themselves.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

some poo poo came up today about EGS that you guys should probably be aware of since they are giving away so many free games:

Rinkles posted:

Epic Games Launcher collects your steam friends & play history

I tried to replicate [reddit findings] and found out that Epic Games Launcher on start up searches for Steam install
    and proceeds to get list of files in your Steam Cloud (this includes mostly game saves for every user that has logged in on your PC)

Steam Cloud is stored under userdata\[account id]\ if you wanna check

It will also create encrypted copy of config\localconfig.vdf.
    This file contains your steam friends, their name history (groups you're part of, are considered "friends").

It seems friends might be used for friends suggestions, but I don't even use that feature and it collects more than that.

While it's called "localhistory" it is synced from cloud

Play history, will contain last playtime.

(as before, this isn't opt in)

as i said before, the level of data you are giving away to EGS is much, much higher and their methods are far more aggressive than most storefronts and even data warehousing joints like indiegala. if you're comfortable with that then no judgment still (i really don't want this to turn into another stupid poo poo-i-never-said derail) but i think it's important to know what you're buying these free games with.

e: video proof has shown up in case someone doubts the report:
https://twitter.com/_s_t_r_e_l_o_k/status/1106341025109299200

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 15, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

saving the torrent file you can opt to use instead of a direct download should work as a redownload service for the foreseeable future.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

You guys are complaining about DRM-free installers now?

Gonna send these posts back in time to Steam circa 2004.

are you drunk and seeing multiple

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yes, that would be one person. can you find two?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

man like half of my friends list seems to have gotten some real time out of survivalist but i just can't do it, the game looks like late 90s claymation and feels about as janky

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah similar to most of their giveaways. it's just an email though so if you are concerned about it simply use a burner. you get steam keys out of it so you don't have to do any weird data linking.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oh good call. my bad, i made the mistake of presuming it was like the last half dozen free games I got off humble.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

in case anyone's not aware this will require origin if that's a turnoff for you

also the twitter thread after this announcement is hilarious

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, you cannot get Sims 4 without origin. It's not on steam.

yeah idk how common knowledge that is so i decided to say it now rather than make someone wait on their website, which is always slow as gently caress

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the game's only a dollar under normal circumstances so i wasn't expecting much anyway

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my understanding is that EGS basically pays a lump sum to use a game as a free promotion, due to the sale fiasco where publishers had to tell them that their game being presented at a certain price point has much longer reaching effects than epic took into account

this is a third-hand account though so don't take this as gospel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It also probably means there’s a finite number of free keys so they don’t spend more than they’re budgeting