Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Pony Island and Space Pilgrim Episode 1 are free right now on humble bundle, all you need to do is give them an e-mail. I haven't played Space Pilgrim, but Pony Island was pretty great. Just scroll half-way down the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

GOG has The King of Fighters 2002 free right now too, although I'm told it's not a very good version of it in that you can't rebind keys or something? Haven't tried myself. There's always fightcade though.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

SOMA is free on GOG for the next little while.

Edit: gently caress, beaten. :(

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I've never disliked the main character of a video game in the first twenty minutes as much as the dude from Deponia. I loving love point and click adventure games but holy hell did they ever go out of their way to make him an obnoxious piece of absolute poo poo. I'm not against rear end in a top hat characters as a general rule in narratives but I seriously could not handle his bullshit. I think their idea of humour just doesn't really mesh with mine.

Jackbox is good though.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

It also seems to add it to your humble account library, so I'm assuming you can redownload from there.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Geemer posted:

Humble is handing out free copies of Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition while supplies last.

Yeeeessssss, thank you. This game is amazing.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I played it a while ago on steam and thought it was reasonably boring, and the camera completely blows. I can't say I hated it, but I didn't like it enough to stick with it beyond the second chapter or whatever. For the price of free though that's not a bad deal.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Oh cool, now my uPlay account has been temporarily suspended due to multiple failed login attempts. Cool.

lol mine too, drat.

Who could have foreseen this turn of events, wow, big surprise that their servers couldn't handle the logins. Surely this kind of thing has never happened before.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Stickman posted:

Two more 100% off codes from Reddit for Big Fish Games:

FREEGAME286055 (this one might be expired)
FREEGAME839724

I still don't know what's good, though!

Last time there were freebies I grabbed a bunch fully intending to ignore them like every other free game I get on Epic or Steam, but I was off work for a few days and bored out of my skull so I picked up one of the hidden object games for a trial run. They are really good for what they are.

I stuck with mostly horror/mystery ones as it was close to halloween. Some quick reviews:

Maze: Subject 360 was the first one I tried, and it was surprisingly engaging. I'd never played a hidden object game before, but they seem like a natural progression of the old point-and-click adventure games that I loved so much as a kid, interspersed with images that you look around for a list of items. In this one, the main character crashes her car on a lonely stretch of road and ends up in a town where all of the inhabitants are trapped in an unwakeable sleep. It's your goal to try to figure out what happened and get the hell out of dodge while avoiding the creepy supernatural little girl. Not the most original story, and it doesn't get too heavy, but it's quite fun. Apparently there's a ton of entries in this series, which also seems true of EVERY game in their catalogue. I get the impression they pump them out really quickly, which is partially why I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the game. I don't know that I'd have been happy to pay twenty bucks for it, but I still don't think I'd feel ripped off at that price tag either; there's a lot of content here, with bonus games and collectibles and the like.

Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil was the next I tried, and while I didn't like it as much as the previous game, I'm not sure how much of that was just because of how new and unexpected the first game was for me. This one is also quite good, and seems to be a very long-running series for the devs. You play as a world-renowned detective, and you find yourself investigating a town that has the population aging extremely quickly. It's an interesting enough narrative, but again doesn't go into anything too heavy, although there was some pretty interesting spooky imagery. This one seemed to lean a bit heavier on the hidden object scenes rather than puzzles like the previous game, but this might again be a biased position from the surprise the first one was.

Phantasmat was the next I played, although I stupidly got the regular edition rather than the collector's one that I linked. Not sure what the difference would be, but there were less side games and bonus content, with no collectibles, so that's probably it. Another main character crashing a car in a strange place only to find themselves in a supernatural situation, this time in a strange hotel in the middle of the woods. This game definitely had a bigger focus on the hidden object scenes rather than the point-and-click stuff, which isn't as fun for me, but the narrative of this one is probably the strongest. Not exactly subtle in its approach, it would feel right at home with a Goosebumps book or an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? or something, but fun enough.

And that's all I've tried so far. I have two more downloaded and ready to go, but maybe I'll try a non-hidden-object one next.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

Did they ever finish the story mode in TLD? Is it worth playing? I put a few dozen hours into survival mode a few years ago, but it always got too bleak and depressing for me to make much progress.

I bought it last year and it's the only game I've ever refunded, because the store advertised a deep engrossing story but didn't mention that only the first "episode" was finished, with no timeline for it being actually completed. It was basically an early access game that wasn't branded as such. From a bit of digging it looks like they've since doubled that to TWO whole episodes out of five planned with no timeline for when it'll be finished! Value! Aside from that, for the survival mode, walking up or down slight inclines had a thirty percent chance to shatter your ankles and the game was just loving miserable to play, not in the good way. There's also no end or goal beyond surviving as long as possible in survival mode, so if "finishing" a game is something that's important to you, this one might be frustrating.

No idea how it is now, but that's my experience with it. I'm sure it's worth the pricetag of your email address or whatever though. Reviews seem positive in general.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

site posted:

Ngl this made me lol irl

I mean I don't think no end is bad but I wanted to warn people who want something like a "Build a plane and escape eventually" type of survival thing.

Wording is funny though yes

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I was really out of it for one of these giveaways and kept the box checked, and was confused about entering payment info but did it anyway because I'm an idiot.

It's paid off though; with all the free games they give away I think I've filled out 3 punch cards and gotten more free games that way. I'm really loving these dumb hidden object games. I never thought I would bother with them when I got the first few, but COVID quarantine left me with nothing much to do and it was the start of a journey.

For the people upthread asking about a kid friendly game, Awakening: The Dreamless Castle was definitely that, with no horror or objectionable content, and I'm positive it was given away for free specifically in this thread a while ago because I would likely not have picked it myself. It's basically a fairy tale that you control but with puzzles and hidden object games.

For people looking for recommendations, I posted a bunch of suggestions previously that I've enjoyed, and I'd just like to add The 12 Labours of Hercules as a fun way to mindlessly kill a few hours. It's not a hidden object game, but a "time management" game where you send out servants to mine resources or pick up food or whatever, which lets you get rid of roadblocks or fix bridges or build houses, which lets you pick up more resources and so on. Each level has an objective or two to complete and each level only takes five minutes-ish, it feels like it was designed as a phone game where they expect you to play in short bursts. Fun though.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Stickman posted:

Another Big Fish Game code: FREEGAME835324 [Reddit thread]

Witch's Pranks: Frog's Fortune free on IndieGala. Weird Looking HOG with decent reviews and standard HOG naming structure?

Thanks a lot for posting these Big Fish giveaways, the games are great timewasters.

Where are you finding them all, anyway?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Looks like it worked for me as well, so maybe that's how all of these codes keep getting released to the wild. Interesting.

Thanks!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I still have a Bigfish code (though I never did get feedback on whether the last code I shared was unique to my account or usable by anyone).

Q: Are there any tower defense games on Bigfish that... are proper (semi-decent) games, rather than Z-tier knockoffs of popular stuff?

The two posts immediately after you posting the code were talking about how it worked for them lol

(Thanks for that though! Almost got all of the Phantasmat games now)

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I meant this one, which is a punch card code, and doesn't look like other codes posted in the thread:

No posts talking about how it worked as far as I can see.

Anyways... once I get a recommendation and use the code, I'll share it here. Big Fish apparently got pretty quick when it comes to cancelling codes that are published online.

Oh, my bad. For what it's worth, that code did not work for me when you posted it. I thought I posted that, but I guess not. Sorry!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/warhammer-end-times-vermintide
warhammer vermintide, free if you link your steam account.

Looks like you can still link your account and get a key even if you already own the game. I guess I'll hold onto a key to give away later!

(I didn't realize I already owned it, humble bundles are crazy lol)

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

El Fideo posted:

And it looks like they've run out of codes, time to prowl SteamGifts!

Oh you can have the one I grabbed, I didn't know they were limited. PM me if you want it!

Edit: Oh, if you don't have PMs, steam profile maybe? Discord?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

El Fideo posted:

Oh poo poo that's thoroughly nice of you.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/elfideo808/

Hope you've had a great thanksgiving!

My thanksgiving was last month, but I appreciate the sentiment! Hope yours was good too.

Sorry it's so late, I was out most of the day, but I sent a friend request on steam. I'll pass you the code once I can message you.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Anno 1404 history edition is free on Ubisoft Connect (previously UPlay) if claimed before Dec 14

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Vampyr was really disappointing.

Pathfinder is fun if you're into isometric infinity engine type games

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Why does everyone keep talking about Prey? Was it free and I missed it somehow?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Oh nice, thanks guys. I've had that on my wishlist forever.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Vampyr today on Epic. It's a solid 7/10 RPG. The "interesting ideas and decent amount of jank" 7/10 rather than the "completely bland but competent" 7/10.

I was super disappointed in the second half of the game and the gimmick about feeding on main characters felt kind of half baked to me. The constantly respawning enemies made travelling around annoying as hell.

Worth trying out though imo

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

SUPERHOT was fun and I played it for free when the Ubisoft store had a data leak and they gave me access to their subscription service for free for a month

Yoku's Island Express is also very good and is a strange mish-mash of pinball and metroidvania with a lighthearted atmosphere, big recommend

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Gun Jam posted:

Free keys for:

*Kingdom Two Crowns
*Broken Age
*Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
*Dear Esther: Landmark Edition
*Driftland: The Magic Revival
*Endless Space 2
*Max Payne 3
*Vagante
*Wargroove
*Wizard of Legend
*X-Morph: Defense (+dlc)
*Pikuniku
*Skullgirls 2nd Encore
*Slay the Spire
*SUPERHOT
*Slinger VR
*This War of Mine
*Tooth and Tail

tabletop rpg:
*Pathfinder Second Edition Core Rulebook and Starfinder Core Rulebook
*Starfinder: Pact Worlds Campaign Setting

Non-video game keys:
*Ashampoo Photo Optimizer 7
*GameMaker Studio 2 Creator 12 Months
*Intro to Game Development with Unity
*Music Maker EDM Edition
*Polygon Farm, Polygon City, and Polygon Prototype

*Kerbal Space Program (timp has dibs)

p.s : "There have been too many recent activation attempts from this account or Internet address. Please wait and try your product code again later." is bs.

If I could snag Wizard of Legend that'd be awesome!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Tyranny is extremely cool and was shaping up to be one of my favourite crpgs but then it just... ended... Like out of the blue, ended. Building up to something loving awesome, and then nope it's over.

Still really worth playing but it does feel unfinished, even in the gameplay in some ways. Crafting your own spells was really unique and fun though.

I did not play the DLC.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Pennfalath posted:

To this day, I still remember "Yousa gonna get pasted, outlander!"
And the Tatooine level was Qui-Gon's big fetch quest day and it was awesome.

Fond memories of some blue guy yelling "Stop pushing me!" making me keep pushing him.

I don't remember much else about the game but I remember liking it.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Breetai posted:

My initial approach to using him was to see if I could squeak out a few wins and just be as goofy as possible at playing a game genre that's usually populated by the most insufferable of Serious Competitive Gamers

My nameplate says "Kitty" with a picture of an adorable white kitten, my account name is a garble of random characters because I don't care enough to come up with a name, and I spent about half a character unlock's worth of very slowly accumulated ingame currency to purchase the following outfit:

I'm currently on a 5 match winning streak and the latest match saw my opponent disconnect ragequit after I hit a ~50% damage combo 5 seconds into round 2.

Dan is legit in SFV. I had around an 80% win rate after my first hundred or so matches, he's a ton of fun.

I replied to you with this is in the FG thread but I will never miss a new excuse to post (not my clip, just a Dan situation)

https://twitter.com/ilovelasers/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Wasn't Golden Light literally given away two weeks ago? With Evil Within 1 or 2?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Chiming in to say Odyssey is an actual legit really good game, franchise be damned. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it after not really liking any post-Black Flag games in the series.

I haven't played Origins or any of the newer ones but both me and the wife got really into Odyssey, and she doesn't really play games much. It's huge but it's well done.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

LISA: The Painful is one of my top 5 games and has really nice worldbuilding and writing. It's rare to have something tread a line between absurd comedy and extremely dark subject matter so tactfully, and it has one of the most impactful and memorable endings of anything I've ever played. It is extremely jank in some less than pleasing ways, like in combat and difficulty, but if you can get around the difficulty and find the fun you're in for an amazing experience. I plowed through the definitive edition when it dropped and liked the additions well enough.

Just keep in mind that if an early NPC asks you if you're the kind of person who would enjoy a challenging game mode, SAY NO. It's hard mode and it, among other things, makes save points single-use, which changes things a lot.

Also the expansion/DLC/semi-sequel, whatever you want to call it, is kind of bad (imo, some people really like it) so don't feel bad about not playing it. It does not tie the story up nicely in a way you might hope for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

Doesn't Lisa's story include stuff like rape, torture and child abuse? Because I feel like this is kind of understated both here and on the game's Steam page and should be at least mentioned in passing to prospective players.

Yep, in varying amounts. They aren't ever-present or anything, but they are in there. They are definitely not portrayed as positive things.