Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The whole point of fantasy strike was being a super simple and easy to get into fighting game to appeal to fighting game newbies, so you could play with your friends or whatever.
The biggest problem with it imo was that you needed to get your friend to buy it too before they could play against you. It should hopefully be a lot more popular now.

Every multiplayer-only indie game should have a mode where you can play with 2 people using only one key, so you can buy it and force your friends to play with you.

edit: holy gently caress David Sirlin is a moron
the free version of the game DOESN'T ALLOW JOINING GAMES WITH YOUR FRIENDS, it only has random online matchmaking

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
OK, edited out

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waffleman_ posted:

This very technically counts, but with the release of the newest patch in August, the free trial of Final Fantasy XIV will include the entirety of the base game and the first expansion with no time limit.

In other MMO news, Black Desert Online is giving a (permanent) free copy of the base game to anyone who reaches level 50 on a free trial account: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/4167
(Normally a copy costs :10bux:, but it has a lotta cash shop stuff that makes it basically feel like you're playing a korean f2p game)

Does this count for this thread?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah i mean it's in a genre where the main appeal is level design and has randomized non-hand-designed levels.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If it's a game with proper community server support you should be able to find a community that bans that poo poo at least

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also only buy them if you're going to play them now and not like... 3 months later once you finish the other cool games on your backlog

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zesty posted:

Don’t you guys have blogs you can post your reviews and counter-reviews of free games?

my blog is the something awful dot com forums

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zachack posted:

I'm pretty sure that description is wrong. It's just skins - when you are playing a match you get points from doing things (kills, revenge, captures, dying, etc). When you respawn you can either be one of the four main classes or you can spend those points and play as a specialty unit like a rocket trooper, tie fighter, or Bossk. Bossk, Vader, Yoda etc all cost the most to use and there can only one active at a time (and limits on how many total). There's also a mode where everyone plays as hero units so you can enjoy zapping people with lighting bolts.

There's nothing to buy in real money that impacts the game. You might be able to accelerate leveling up characters with real money but I'm not sure, and just playing the game will eventually unlock all abilities,

At Battlefront 2's release, you had to unlock each of the individual hero units like vader/yoda/etc. Either by grinding for credits in game (apparently taking 40 hours to earn enough credits for the most expensive ones like Vader), or by buying real-money lootboxes.

At some point they must've patched the game to rework the lovely unlock system.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Buller posted:

Crying suns is weird so far for me. Played through the first 2 chapters and its pretty easy so far even though im playing on normal. Enemies are all gimmicks so they get predictable as you go through the chapter.

The balance seems off to me. Normal squadrons do like 3-7 dps, with some unspecified bonus against one of the other rock-paper-scissors ship types (fighter/drone/frigate). But sometimes you randomly find as loot (or buy for ~150 scrap in a shop), a cruiser that does between 23 and 30 damage per shot, with a 2 or 3 tile attack range when every other ship can only attack 1 tile away. :wtc:
They can't hit stuff that's directly in melee range but just a single lovely mk1 ship can run interference to stop enemies getting close while they keep firing the artillery for 3x more damage than anything else in the game. Or just send out 2-4 at once and have them shoot each others' blind spots.

The most fun battleship to play as so far was the scrapper one that starts with squadrons of nothing but suicide-bomber drones, though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Farquar posted:

As somebody who has never played Dark Souls, what does this mean? How is this similar?

In the past few years I've seen many games described as "like Dark Souls" but they all seems to be different genres, so I can't figure out what what they have in common.

The mechanics Dandara specifically copied from DS:
When you die, you drop all your cash in a pile on top of your corpse and respawn at the last checkpoint. To get it back you have to make it back to the place you died. If you die again it disappears forever.
You have a small health bar, with a limited number of healing potions that refill for free at checkpoints.

The dropping-your-souls thing is pretty dumb but the potions/estus flasks is a pretty clever design which more games should copy. It's like just having a 10x bigger health bar with no healing between checkpoints except it makes individual low-damage hits scarier and more meaningful because they can still kill you if you get hit with a few in a row without time to drink a potion in between.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Virgin "arguing about the word 'soulslike'" vs The Chad "arguing about the word 'roguelike'"

people who argue about the word roguelike were sending their kids off to college before that meme was even born

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kirbysuperstar posted:

But that's..a free to play game? Do they just give you a stipend of funbucks or something?

Yup

Log on during the week and get a "$100 value" pack of p2w stuff, including 80 lootboxes

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 23, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
so far my deck-building strategy has been "just throw in every card with a not-yet-unlocked token" with no thoughts toward strategy

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FanaticalMilk posted:

It wasn't a Worms game proper but Gunbound was a very early F2P game from Nexon that had similar elements to Worms.

This is off-topic for the thread but I remember Jagex, the runescape company, made their own f2p browser-based worms clone too

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but the uncontracted sentence "I will not have lost", not "I will have not lost"
so "I'll not have lost" kinda works, "I won't have lost" works better, but "I'll haven't lost" sounds weird and wrong

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The whole point of a password manager is to keep you safe from giant corporations who moronically fail at basic encryption / security practices and end up leaking your login info.

I wouldn't trust a password manager that sends all your data to live on one particular corporation's servers where you just have to hope that they're not one of the stupid ones.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i do

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I use a piece of paper and a pencil. If a hacker breaks into my study, he's free to log on to my MySpace.

E: actually it's a notebook.

after about the second hour of looking up passwords in my notebook and trying to determine whether my lovely handwriting says
"aAbF';Dn-jd|,2CGw>|8smwec8n(\v^v" or
"aAbF';Dn-jdl,2CGw>I8smwec8n(\v^v",
i would just go back to using insecure passwords
and god forbid having to manually type poo poo like that into a phone keyboard if I ever want to log in somewhere on mobile

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
self-hosting is actively harmful if you don't have backups somewhere off-site, outside your house
because it means you could potentially lose all your data/passwords if your poo poo gets struck by lightning or a burgler takes all your electronics while you're at work or whatever

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The pc version is 5bux but the mobile version has always been free

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
https://randombundlegame.com/browse is your friend.

According to that tool's numbers, of the 1019 items in the Palestinian Aid bundle: 674 are computer games, 272 are physical games (mostly TTRPGs it seems), and 73 total are something else (including comics, books, game assets, soundtracks, etc).

There's a decent sized overlap with the previous BLM bundle (236 items of the 1019 total), but still a lot of stuff that wasn't in it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yup, that one's been free on EGS before.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cugel the Clever posted:

lol, nearly every gun in Battlefield 1 is automatic, wtf is this

For real. I wish you could use some of the sniper's cool unscoped ironsights single-shot rifles on other classes. I just want to plink at stuff with that cool russian lever-action rifle but also actually be a useful member of the team and drop ammo bags/revives.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Quake II RTX is permanently free on Steam at least

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
As far as I can tell the humble "subscription" basically has no reason or need to be a subscription because it's really just another monthly bundle for a fixed price with the annoying property that it will automatically charge you if you let it.
I bought it for one month ever but that was a while ago and I think it's had some changes since (there are 3 tiers now??).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cojawfee posted:

Will there be sanity checking to make sure you don't get locked out of somewhere?

Well yes that's the whole point of a randomizer mode.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JustJeff88 posted:

Is PC Building Simulator as frustrating as building a new desktop PC in real life? Last time I bought a gaming rig I bought all the parts and paid a professional to make a computer out of them. Smartest thing I've ever done.

plugging the bits into each other is easy though
the hard part is wading through the 9999 different parts and figuring out which ones are actually decent price-performance (especially when half of the content online posting about building a gamign pc is basically just audiophile tier jerking off over how expensive your parts are and throwing every highest-price component in one box), and making sure everything fits together and is compatible
and avoiding the gaudy rgb LEDs

e:

Party Boat posted:

Building a PC is like making flatpack furniture, I personally find it satisfying and relaxing but I can see how it would be a hellish exercise in frustration for someone else

i literally cannot comprehend how someone would find assembling flatpack furniture difficult unless they were physically too weak to hold the parts

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 9, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Sadly the coupon expires in a month so I can't hoard it forever

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Skwirl posted:

I've been grabbing every single free game on Epic Game Store and barely install any of them and have barely played any of them, so I understand they might think I'm a bot. Is everyone else getting captcha asks.

twice in a row it was "identify the pictures with bicycles" and the most recent they had pictures of motorcycles in the mix, assholes.

I've never gotten any of those captchas but I've actually thrown :10bux: Sweeney's way a few times for Hades and Outer Wilds, so maybe they stop bot-checking if you've spent actualmoney.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Why would I pay a monthly subscription for thousands of games just to not play any of them and have them go poof when I unsubscribe?
Much rather buy individual games to not-play one at a time so I can permanently own them, fit them into my hoard, and curl up to sleep on top of a pile of them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xander77 posted:

Um... where are you supposed to receive the steam key? Didn't get it by mail, not in the spam folder either.

Looks like they ran out of keys and changed the language on the website to just "sign up for our newsletter!" instead of "sign up and get a free game!"

site posted:

I've been weary of gamepass on pc ever since someone told me they ended up with a corrupted install of flight simulator and because of the encrypted file system poo poo they are completely unable to uninstall it or even just delete the folder it's in so now they have a 70gb hole in their hd

It's not actually encrypted or impossible to access, it's just a huge pain in the rear end.
You have to gently caress around with the windows permissions management and change the "owner" of a few folders to yourself and then you'll be able to look inside.
I had to do that back when the MS Store was loving up with PSO2 and creating a 70+gb invisible backup of the entire game.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 10, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The last two times I upgraded my pc / switched hard drives I just copied the entire appdata folder over so I wouldn't need to think about which programs had local saved data that I wanted to keep

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The thing that really grinds my gears is that the prime gaming website doesn't have any details about the games.
To figure out whether I want to download or play it I have to go to gaming.amazon.com, click on a game to claim it, then close that browser tab, open up the amazongames desktop app, find the game in my library, and click it there just to see description/screenshots/videos/etc. Why am I crossreferencing two different pages to figure this out?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
well you can just click the link on the website to add it to your account
but you can't actually download and play it without uplay (which got rebranded to "Ubisoft Connect" in the past few years)

e:f;b

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There are also plenty of human lurkers who read the forum without ever posting (or having an account).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
But they own the brand and are trying to make money off the IP.
Like that one terrible crossover fighting game they published that had a few Cave Story characters in it (plus Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac's Isaac).
Of course they didn't pay Pixel anything for it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MikusR posted:

You can do that wit CS go skins or TF2 hats? Because those are also NFTs

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/second-extinction and hint shows crossbow from Mutant Year zero. So seems that Vampyr, Pathfinder an Prey will also be given free. Earlier leak also had Humankind.

What kind of game is this anyway? left 4 dead with dinosaurs?
The fact that they're giving it away for free even before it's out of Early Access is a bad sign for the amount of future paid DLC

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rebel Blob posted:

This is why I ethically source my free games from GOG.com. Nobody cares about Polish politics.

all levels of polish government are full of evil far right catholics afaik
1/3 of the municipalities in the country have declared themselves "LGBT free zones", and the largest party in parliament, "PiS", has a stated goal of fighting against western LGBT "ideology"
the guy who won the 2020 presidency campaigned on banning teaching LGBT stuff in schools, and passing a constitutional amendment to illegalize gay adoption

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cojawfee posted:

How can you tell how many games you own? I don't see a number anywhere.

you can use gog galaxy to link up all your accounts and view the total game list there