Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Thefluffy posted:

this game is a must have if you are big into the old escape velocity games http://store.steampowered.com/app/404410/?snr=1_5_9__205

Neat! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Just an update, Subnautica via Epic Games' launcher is active

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The current Epic Launcher Free Game is Rime (i don't know for how long but i vaguely remembered the game so was like "sure" and no one else has talked about it)

It's actually an atmospherically great puzzler game except for the camera.

hopefully the problem is that i'm playing it in 4K because jesus it's offensive how often "there's something in between the camera and the main character" makes everything garbage

but it's free!

but you know how "oh but the camera is bad" is kind of a gaming shibboleth? -- in my experience this camera is bad and it's important to mention that the game is good in spite of it

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 26, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Epic's new free game is Last Day of June which seems like an art project.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Kennel posted:

It's short (3-4 hours) and quite neat and charming, but after million other heart warming/wrenching casual indie adventures it doesn't feel all that special.
That's basically what I got from the short clip accompanying it, yeah

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The developers of DiRT Rally have a very odd conception of what a "custom championship" is.

No, I don't want a Finland stage--their roads are absolute trash

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

In my experience that typically resulted in repeatedly qualifying for the Nailed It! achievement. The Renault Alpine is very roll-friendly.

Though I may not have been doing it to the inside corner. On Sweden in the Open now but that'll be good to remember.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

If anyone has free (or paid) Destiny 2 and actually wants to keep access to it then you will need to transfer your account to Steam otherwise you will lose it.

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/PCMove

Thanks for the reminder! I haven't played in a while but I saw this a while back while on my phone and forgot.

Guess the actual transfer isn't until October 1?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Len posted:

But is it better than Blood and Bacon which set my gold standard for ridiculous arena shooters bought in 2019

it is ...

not good

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

And likely to be permanently removed from all digital distribution services after the free period based on the last few times Codemasters did this.

Yeah it was a free Steam key on Humble Bundle back at the end of August so it's definitely on its last legs.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Windows only :woz:

Does the Epic Games Store even support Mac? At all?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

What would be the name of the physical therapist who is horrifically traumatized by all the Batman related injuries they have to deal with and then becomes Batman's new enemy?

Blunt Force

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

THE BAR posted:

Because of all the medicinal marijuana?

:hmmyes:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

So I beat Arkham Asylum last night and moved on to Arkham Knight.

It looks better, there are definite QoL improvements (like being able to grapple while gliding), and having other characters to play is an upgrade.

But it does feel a bit aimless, oddly. And I'm still not a huge fan of the combo mechanic though it's satisfying when it works. "Oh, you missed for no reason? Start over." "Oh, the game didn't register you were going for a ground takedown? lol aim with your batarang, start over." To be fair, this was an issue in Asylum as well and I'm not sure there's a good solution on keyboard-adapted-from-console-gameplay.

Going to have another go at it while more sober.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

You should play City before Knight.

My mistake, I did mean City.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Coolguye posted:

in City you could arrive on the scene and see one of those moronic rube goldberg machines that Riddler sets up and immediately be like "oh, ok, i need some upgrade for this" and peace out without wasting five minutes trying some bullshit.
Yeah I just finished City and didn't do a single one of the pad puzzles. Probably could have looked up the solutions but :effort:

I'm not going for 100%, just getting some enjoyment out of a few free games.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

repiv posted:

Epics Batman giveaway has been expanded - originally it only included the basic version of Arkham Knight, but now they're including the full season pass as well. People who already claimed it should get the DLCs automatically.

City came with the Catwoman DLC, at least, but what DLC should be coming with Knight? All it ever says is "checking for DLC" and there doesn't appear to be anywhere to check what it's got.

Couldn't find a costumes menu in City after beating the game even though the game claimed there would be one, so ....

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I do find it interesting that only Poison Ivy gets her choice of seat. It's just alternated which one pops out for everyone else, but it pops both out for her (and this time she got in the other one).

Wonder if it's intentional.

But the first time she gave me poo poo about "who taught you how to drive?" and I cracked up because it's Batman

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

What was that pirate game by the dinosaur game people? Because that.

/e Atlas, what hot garbage that was. A friend gifted it or I'd have been super offended about the price.

stringless fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 25, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Serperoth posted:

Just because I remembered today, Minit is free on the Epic Store

It's interesting, picked it up when it went up, but I bounced pretty hard after about a dozen goes. Probably worth checking the wiki/walkthrough assuming it has one.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

oh dope posted:

Oh is it? I must've mixed up this thread with something else. Disregard.

I played the tutorial and it looks like out could be fun if I had any friends that played it, or indeed any friends at all.

but you can "Team up with millions of players"!!!!

doubt

fully released about a month ago, so if they haven't already the seasonal pay-to-have-content is a month or two away?

stringless fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 1, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I've been working through Q.U.B.E. 2. It's gorgeous and a decent puzzler like Portal 2 but without the solutions being quite as obvious.

and then rotation got involved. oof i was feeling smart until pillars with multiple rotation points got involved.

/e now there's oil and fire? wtf

stringless fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 1, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

FYI this is some kind of F2P mobile game, not a free deal per se.

Yeah, it's made by "a small team at Epic" just like the (other?) MOBA the name of which I can't remember

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

dogstile posted:

They're not native English speakers, I thought?

Played around with it for a bit and if they are native speakers they are not good native speakers.

In any event, apparently they're based in China.

And if everything didn't take 5 to 10 times longer than necessary I'd have kept playing it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I got a gun and it took 80+ rounds to take down this grassland bull thing that had started spitting energy balls at me that each did about a quarter of my health in damage. Also every animal I came across that could attack had a generic energy ball attack.

And every animal takes 5 to 10 times more damage to kill than should be necessary. The size of the world didn't bother me at all.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's pretty sharply discounted, but it's not free.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ah well. It actually has a demo, and at $3 for everything for the next half a day I may pick it up anyway

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

OgNar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/298610/Ylands/

Ylands has just gone free to play.

Its a fun little sailing/driving/crafting/exploration game.

Bought it at least a year ago and have only ever played single player.
But I like it.

Now single player is a pay option while multiplayer still looks to be free.
Though I may be wrong about this.
In game currency buys stuff like servers, emotes, costumes and blueprints for houses/cars etc.
I think its free to join a sever but about $7/m to rent one.

Multiplayer is pretty garbage, at least what little I saw of it. The graveyard server I happened into was entertaining, I suppose, but the "main" stuff is all just cruddy minigames.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Wolf Among Us is an adaptation of the Bad Wolf from Fables, the comic series, which is at least an entertaining notion.

Is The Escapists anything more or better than what Prison Architect has to offer for that game mode? The trailer suggests storage of items for use for later (and I don't recall Prison Architect having a grappling hook). Its initial release was noticeably after the semi-public alpha for PA and seems a bit simpler and like a game mode that was demanded by the testers of PA which did eventually came out but not quite as quickly as a developer I've never heard of put out a prison escape game.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 13, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Same, although I stupidly missed Jotun last week and am annoyed at myself over it since that is one of the games that actually interested me.

it's definitely pretty, but it does not even come close to holding your hand.

there's an early bit where you're like "geez i don't want to gently caress up the world tree but it's blocking my way and i'm not seeing any way around it"

the solution, of course, is to perform the strongest attack you've got, which you've never had to use yet, to get the roots out of the way. Not how I expected the game to go and I've sidelined it after the first true boss: there's the whole zone that appears to be made for defeating bosses and the first with the ground tentacles and poison areas put me off.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I played an earlier version of TABS and it's hilarious fun

FTL was easily in the top 3 best games of oh god it was 2012

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'd love a proper Unreal/Unreal Tournament remaster. There's apparently Unreal Redux that's an indie project in the works, but not even an inkling of a release date.

Facing Worlds/Hall of Giants, :sigh:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Somewhere in a pile of hard drives there's one with the complete discography of Unreal soundtracks up to at least UT2K4. Those first few on the OG Unreal always bring me back.

Might have to look at what GoG has.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm one of a very small number of people, proportionally, that actually played Fortnite before it was Fortnite [Battleground]

It was just "build to defend against zombies" in a campaign style. I'd almost completely forgotten about it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

KillHour posted:

The new UT is free and good, though? Also I'm like 99% sure someone remade Facing Worlds for it (even though that map is kinda boring and I don't get why everyone loved it so much).

mutators

also, what?

Had no idea there was a new/free one, but also I never got as much into UT as I did for the original.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 26, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

If you have amazon prime you do have twitch prime. Go get your free games and give some streamer $2.50 a month out of those monies you paid amazon (you get a free sub each month as well).

sonofa

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Steep is a good game that kinda got hosed by a sponsored person outright dying doing snow sports

"Free" is a great price for it, it's a great ~10 hour playtime or more if you're into it kind of game.

Kingdom: New Lands? Not worth the time. At least from my experience there's just always something you're frustrated by. And once invaders start showing up it only gets worse as you lose villagers/defenders which cost money to replace but they're also the source of income so you're hosed both ways.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Regardless of background, "Free" felt like the right price for KC:D. Played about two hours of it this morning and wow there is a lot of pointless exposition. I think I got maybe 10 minutes of actual "gameplay" in that time. That's not counting the fights that only exist to put you on your rear end or make you reload from an auto save (because lol saving outside of chapters/sleep uses a resource because as we all know drinking a bottle of schnapps is realism for saving your game).

I'm going to play it a bit further when I'm not doing anything else, but even knowing you're intended to be a know-nothing kid from the get go instead of a competent protagonist it's so boring

Oh, and the game freezes if it's not in focus, even in borderless windowed mode, so you can't even do anything else during half-hour long exposition

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

I can't get layout B for the Crystal Cruiser. I've done like 25 full length runs with layout A to get the achievements to unlock and it just never happens.

Are the instances not being helpful or are they not registering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I don't know that I ever pulled 10 Rocks in a run, but the trap four is as simple as shattering O2 or health bay so they go all hands about it. Possibly while everything else is on fire? It's been a while.

/e don't destroy O2 on Rocks because they don't care as much