Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i did work at a military facility once as a contractor and we weren't allowed to attach our computers to their network

we also couldnt attach USB devices (if you did, it would very likely end up with an armed response, and they would yank the entire computer off the network and send it to the lab for inspection, 6 months later you MAY get the computer back).

log files weren't allowed to be emailed. so we had to use CD-Rs for everything. we had to copy a 20k log file, so that was a CD burnt, which was used to transfer it to one of our machines, then emailed out. we went through a dozen CDs copying single log files that were less than 50k each. (it was an incremental process).

it explained the stacks of nearly 10,000 CD-Rs they had in the office.

i'm convinced that this sneakernet crap is almost entirely supporting what remains of the optical media industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

i'm convinced that this sneakernet crap is almost entirely supporting what remains of the optical media industry

my grandmother doesn't want to replace her her 2007 imac because the new ones don't have cd drives.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
we burn lots of CDs around the house still, usually mp3 cds for our cars

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

also a handy way to get a specific set of :filez: to someone without expecting them to bring a thumb drive or something and gently caress 'lending' one because those things are like tupperware, they never come back

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

SO DEMANDING posted:

it's because they think that inserting a USB device could compromise the machine without user interaction.

they would literally send armed IT staff if ANYTHING was plugged in.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i did work at a military facility once as a contractor and we weren't allowed to attach our computers to their network

we also couldnt attach USB devices (if you did, it would very likely end up with an armed response, and they would yank the entire computer off the network and send it to the lab for inspection, 6 months later you MAY get the computer back).

log files weren't allowed to be emailed. so we had to use CD-Rs for everything. we had to copy a 20k log file, so that was a CD burnt, which was used to transfer it to one of our machines, then emailed out. we went through a dozen CDs copying single log files that were less than 50k each. (it was an incremental process).

it explained the stacks of nearly 10,000 CD-Rs they had in the office.

did they all say "lady gaga" on them

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oval office AND PASTE posted:

we burn lots of CDs around the house still, usually mp3 cds for our cars

2005 up in hurr

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's because they think that inserting a USB device could compromise the machine without user interaction.

just what i want, a bunch of antisocial autists with loaded firearms

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you're a military target i think it's reasonable to at least pretend to be looking out for badusb, especially if your users are the type to say things like "autorun's diabled so you have to open the autorun dot inny file yourself"

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

2005 up in hurr

my car is a 2008 hth

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

flakeloaf posted:

if you're a military target i think it's reasonable to at least pretend to be looking out for badusb, especially if your users are the type to say things like "autorun's diabled so you have to open the autorun dot inny file yourself"

no i def understand its just also very inconvenient

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I remember back when I would only buy Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs because I was like 15 and SH/SC was loving insistent that if you used anything other than Taiyo Yudens your precious animes would disappear forever because discs that weren't the holy TYs would die after a few months.

It was probably insane hyperbole, but I have to say that I did pop one of those DVDs into my compy the other day on a lark just to see if it still worked, and sure enough, all that vintage bangbros I ripped with a stolen login was still there in beautiful 512kbps wmv quality.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dr. Honked posted:

you cunts have awakened a distant memory

making playstation games in the 1990's required a special cd writer and special gold discs, hence the term GM, "gold master", which survives to this day. you had to burn 8 of them i think and if anyone stomped on the floor nearby when a disk was burning, it would gently caress it. i had to yell at hyperactive qa people who would constantly jump up and down because of aspergers or some poo poo and kill disks while they were burning. i remember that they were incredibly expensive too, it was a loving big deal to reburn them

then you sent the disks off to sony via courier, and that was loving expensive because the courier would always have to wait while you were burning the disks, there was always some sort of fuckup that would delay the burn

when sony got the disks, one of their tests was the "machine gun test". they had a special rig called the "machine gun pad". this was a game controller that fired all of its buttons randomly 100 times per second or some poo poo. your game had to be subject to the machine gun test for 100 hours - they'd boot it up and let the machine gun rip. we had one title that failed after 99 hours. test report - "title fail machine gun test after 99 hour". that's the whole report. we just resubmitted and it passed. gently caress knows what was wrong, there's no way anyone could tell us what happened, because of olden days steam driven computer poo poo

honkstories are just the best :allears:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ya turns out potential military targets don't want untrusted hardware plugged into their network. who knew?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oval office AND PASTE posted:

my car is a 2008 hth

with a 2005 headunit :smug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

no i def understand its just also very inconvenient

oh yeah, i totally get how reasonable people find these rules really annoying because they totally are but there are users wearing pants on their arms

like, no you goofball, you can't go plugging your stupid phone, a transmitter connected to the internet, into a network with sensitive stuff on it

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 18, 2016

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I remember back when I would only buy Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs because I was like 15 and SH/SC was loving insistent that if you used anything other than Taiyo Yudens your precious animes would disappear forever because discs that weren't the holy TYs would die after a few months.

It was probably insane hyperbole, but I have to say that I did pop one of those DVDs into my compy the other day on a lark just to see if it still worked, and sure enough, all that vintage bangbros I ripped with a stolen login was still there in beautiful 512kbps wmv quality.

apparently taiyo yuden shut down at the end of the year, the nerds at cdfreaks MyCE seemed quite upset

i've got a few CDs of random game backups i made in 2001-2002 or something, every few years i like to load one and see if it still reads

oh haha, while cleaning the other day i found a goddamn 2-disc VCD of equilibrium, i think some guy at a LAN party 12 years ago gave it to me, i was able to play it still
1. hahahahaha holy poo poo video CD was loving terrible quality, wow.
2. hahahahaha holy poo poo equilibirum was a loving terrible movie, wow
3. i need to clean more often

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

apparently taiyo yuden shut down at the end of the year, the nerds at cdfreaks MyCE seemed quite upset

i've got a few CDs of random game backups i made in 2001-2002 or something, every few years i like to load one and see if it still reads

oh haha, while cleaning the other day i found a goddamn 2-disc VCD of equilibrium, i think some guy at a LAN party 12 years ago gave it to me, i was able to play it still
1. hahahahaha holy poo poo video CD was loving terrible quality, wow.
2. hahahahaha holy poo poo equilibirum was a loving terrible movie, wow
3. i need to clean more often

gun kata

g
u
n
k
a
t
a

nnnnnnnnnngggggghhhhhhhhh

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i watched a vcd of stargate recently and i'd totally forgotten what a piece of poo poo that film was

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

did they all say "lady gaga" on them
yeah crip eating bread you are morally obliged to snail mail ur cd-rs to an australian rapist

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SO DEMANDING posted:

equilibirum was a loving terrible movie

i made some nerds real mad when i dared to compare it to the matrix

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

i made some nerds real mad when i dared to compare it to the matrix

well yeah, dudes in trenchcoats doing karate while shooting guns, fighting an oppressive regime. same thing.

BUT WHOA DUDE MAN OK THE MATRIX IS NOTHING EQUILIBRIUM IS EVEN COOLER *burns a video cd*

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
god the matrix and equilibrium fueled terrible nerd fetishes for a while. i mean, the whole secret super cool badass (who is also physically fit and attractive) is so ripe for self-insert, it really was pandering so hard

like the first matrix is still a pretty cool movie but you have to block out all the terrible poo poo that followed in its wake and thats tricky

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

well yeah, dudes in trenchcoats doing karate while shooting guns, fighting an oppressive regime. same thing.

BUT WHOA DUDE MAN OK THE MATRIX IS NOTHING EQUILIBRIUM IS EVEN COOLER *burns a video cd*

im the guy in this post

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

just what i want, a bunch of antisocial autists with loaded firearms

but enough about the air force

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Dr. Honked posted:

you cunts have awakened a distant memory

making playstation games in the 1990's required a special cd writer and special gold discs, hence the term GM, "gold master", which survives to this day. you had to burn 8 of them i think and if anyone stomped on the floor nearby when a disk was burning, it would gently caress it. i had to yell at hyperactive qa people who would constantly jump up and down because of aspergers or some poo poo and kill disks while they were burning. i remember that they were incredibly expensive too, it was a loving big deal to reburn them

then you sent the disks off to sony via courier, and that was loving expensive because the courier would always have to wait while you were burning the disks, there was always some sort of fuckup that would delay the burn

when sony got the disks, one of their tests was the "machine gun test". they had a special rig called the "machine gun pad". this was a game controller that fired all of its buttons randomly 100 times per second or some poo poo. your game had to be subject to the machine gun test for 100 hours - they'd boot it up and let the machine gun rip. we had one title that failed after 99 hours. test report - "title fail machine gun test after 99 hour". that's the whole report. we just resubmitted and it passed. gently caress knows what was wrong, there's no way anyone could tell us what happened, because of olden days steam driven computer poo poo

make a thread with endless honked stories because they are the loving best :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wild EEPROM posted:

make a thread with endless honked stories because they are the loving best :toot:

• Locked thread