Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Is this the same Bill Schuette who ran those commercials back in the 90s or whenever it was? 'Bill Schuette, On Duty'?
Yup. God, what an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

At what point do you start hanging people to set a public example and deterrent?

Reading through the last six pages worth of articles, I can see where this sort of thing just balloons out of the ill will of a small handful of people operating in an environment without effective error correction.

What's terrifying is how plausible it is that this could be the norm for operation in most states.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 10, 2016

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on the "bad but not quite as much as poisoning a minority community to save a buck" stuff that'll be coming out. I mean, assuming it hasn't already started with those teachers protesting the deplorable conditions of Detroit's schools.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
I remember seeing that cake and thinking that they need to bring back the guillotine for these assholes

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Even if that FBI probe brings someone up on involuntary manslaughter charges, is there any way those charges make their way up to Snyder?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

MEA urges members not to support this petition or sign it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6J1ecILnk3UekItd00tMHB4dEk/view

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

In a throwback to happier times, on this date in 1937 the Flint Sit-Down Strike ended in victory for the union organizers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Possible evidence Snyder's administration forbid the release of some lead test results before his press conference.

quote:

Local health officials say the governor and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality withheld lead testing results, including results from a Flint elementary school, while the agency discussed the best way to present the information to the public.

But, Snyder's office said Wednesday, Feb. 10, that information was shared quickly after testing and denied withholding any information

Emails obtained this week from the Genesee County Health Department through the Freedom of Information Act show growing frustration on the county's part as it attempted to obtain information from the DEQ.

"MDEQ explained that the Governor prohibited releasing all Genesee County lead results until after the press conference," wrote Jim Henry,Genesee County's environmental health supervisor.

Henry, in an interview Wednesday, said county officials didn't learn of the test results until they were distributed following a press conference.

"They should have alerted the schools and they didn't," Henry said.

Gov. Rick Snyder announced Oct. 8 during a press conference that three buildings within the Flint School District tested above the federal limits for lead in the drinking water, including results of more than six times the federally allowable level at Freeman Elementary School....
Following the announcement, a meeting was held Oct. 16 with DEQ officials, including then drinking water chief Liane Shekter Smith, and Henry, according to the emails.

According to an Oct. 18 email Henry wrote to county Health Officer Mark Valacak summarizing the meeting, DEQ apologized for not releasing school lead results in a timely manner and claimed they were ordered by Snyder to delay the release.

The governor's office, when asked Wednesday denied they ordered the DEQ to delay releasing any information, but said the start of testing and announcement were only six days apart.

"The email seems to reflect someone summarizing a discussion at a meeting, and we are unsure what actually was said there," Snyder Press Secretary Dave Murray said. "We do know that the testing began on Oct. 2, it took some time to test 13 buildings, action was taken immediately and the Governor held a press conference in Flint to discuss the results on Oct. 8. There was no delay during that time period....
However, the emails allege that the delays in test results didn't end there. Further testing was conducted at Freeman Elementary during the last week of October.

Henry emailed the DEQ's Laboratory Director George Krisztian on Nov. 3 and requested all lead testing results for water at Freeman Elementary. He added that his request should be treated as a FOIA request.

Krisztian declined the request, saying the samples collected from the school on Oct. 24 presented an "incomplete picture of the plumbing system" and that samples collected on Oct. 31 wouldn't be ready until Nov. 4, according to the emails.

"I am hoping to either have a conference call or a meeting in Flint with all the partners to review the results and discuss how we will present the information to the public," Krisztian wrote.

On Nov. 6, Henry again emailed Valacak, claiming he had talked with Krisztian and that Krisztian told him he had been instructed to withhold the information until the FOIA deadline of Dec. 2.

"MDEQ reminds me of a stubborn 2yr old child," Henry wrote. "Instead of doing what is right, they'll willfully take another spanking just to be defiant."

However, emails show county health officials didn't wait for the results before taking action.

Henry, in his Nov. 6 email, said he was directing county health staff to visit Flint schools, meet with administrators and ensure that water wasn't being consumed on the campuses in order to reduce the risk to students.

Flint Community Schools eventually released the results Nov. 9 in a press release after being informed of them by the DEQ.

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

MEA posted:

Mr. Lazarus essentially ran for the Warren school board from Florida and won the election only after running race baiting robo-calls. Unfortunately, he did not mention his arrests for drugs and resisting arrest while living in Florida just two years ago.

:eyepop:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

So wait, what's his argument here? That Snyder might be literally the villain from Chinatown, but he's still the devil we know compared to the Tea Party who might take his place?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Thesaurasaurus posted:

So wait, what's his argument here? That Snyder might be literally the villain from Chinatown, but he's still the devil we know compared to the Tea Party who might take his place?

The tea party hates Rick Snyder. They tried to primary his lieutenant governor, Brian Calley, during the 2014 election with a "true" conservative tea party candidate. The issue is when Michigan voted in favor of the medicaid expansion, Brian Calley was the tie breaker vote. He's supposed to be the tea party balance to Snyder's establishment Republican base, but after his betrayal on obamacare, the tea party branded him no true conservative.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

The tea party hates Rick Snyder. They tried to primary his lieutenant governor, Brian Calley, during the 2014 election with a "true" conservative tea party candidate. The issue is when Michigan voted in favor of the medicaid expansion, Brian Calley was the tie breaker vote. He's supposed to be the tea party balance to Snyder's establishment Republican base, but after his betrayal on obamacare, the tea party branded him no true conservative.

Yes, I'm saying I don't know why the Michigan Educational Association is shilling for Snyder in this - why should we have to have either of him or Calley? Couldn't we elect someone else?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

They're not shilling for Snyder. They're suggesting not supporting the petition because if they were able to succeed in getting enough signatures, we would be stuck with tea party conservative Brian Calley for governor. Except the law was changed on how that worked during the shame duck session of 2012 too and that's not how it works any more.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are they still charging people for water they can't use?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know but the police and fire chief have been fired, with one newspage saying it's over the "water filters and arrest warrants" system the police were enforcing.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/02/flint-police-chief-fired-water-filters/

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Yes, people are still paying for the poison water they can't use except to flush the toilet and getting cut off if they don't pay their bills.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is tap water not safe to drink or what?

Do you live in Flint? (check the appropriate choice)

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

If you answered "yes" above, no, the water isn't safe. If you answered "no", then most likely it's safe*, though not always guaranteed.

* In reporting to you results of any questionare that you take, we will mention possible interpretations that have a basis in research done (at the University of Bullshit) with these questions. However, these Universities, as well as the individual researchers who have contributed to this questionare, make no claim for the validity of these suggested interpretations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Retired FBI agent says manslaughter highest possible charge in Flint water case.

It can't be mentioned enough that Bill Schuette wants to be the next governor of Michigan.

Of course Snyder will buy his way out while leaving the underlings to hang for it

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

e: with this high res view of his nose and cheeks, I speculate this man does more than his share of drinking.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 15, 2016

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

SocketWrench posted:

Of course Snyder will buy his way out while leaving the underlings to hang for it

I think Snyder has Official Immunity in Michigan which means he can't be tried for this. I'm not really good with politics, so I'm not sure. Some of your smarter folk might be able to look it up though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

I think Snyder has Official Immunity in Michigan which means he can't be tried for this. I'm not really good with politics, so I'm not sure. Some of your smarter folk might be able to look it up though.

You talking about sovereign immunity?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I am honestly surprised Snyder hasn't had at at least one assassination attempt yet.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

He rarely leaves his condo in Ann Arbor. He only goes to Lansing when absolutely necessary, and when he does, he's chauffeured by the Michigan State Police. He has never lived in the Governor's residence the tax payers pay for.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

He rarely leaves his condo in Ann Arbor. He only goes to Lansing when absolutely necessary, and when he does, he's chauffeured by the Michigan State Police. He has never lived in the Governor's residence the tax payers pay for.

Why would you live in a condo instead of a nice governors mansion.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

LionYeti posted:

Ratoslov posted:

I am honestly surprised Snyder hasn't had at at least one assassination attempt yet.

Ta-da.

I'm actually more surprised the police guarding him haven't assassinated him.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
acab

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Why would police care that he's poisoning black people?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This ice sculpture was left in front of the capital in Lansing on Thursday. It was removed within hours.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This ice sculpture was left in front of the capital in Lansing on Thursday. It was removed within hours.

It was 60f yesterday so I'm not surprised it was gone within hours!

resign rick

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ta-da.

I'm actually more surprised the police guarding him haven't assassinated him.

I'm sure property rights come in too. People picketing the governor's mansion are difficult to remove while picketing his private home he can have you hauled off within minutes.

Radish posted:

Why would police care that he's poisoning black people?

I know this is supposed to be sarcastic, but there are still quite a few white people that live in Flint. The people from Flint that work in the shop I do bring water bottles when they come in and fill them before heading home at night

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

LionYeti posted:

Not only that, a condo at the central downtown intersection of the most liberal city in the state.

It's a new build to his personal specs, was just finished a couple months back right?

CEOs like living in Ann Arbor though, it has way more lifestyle amenities than almost any other MI city and many of them know it from their college years.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I said the Police because they're the ones in the best position to do it and get away with it, and, as much as cops can be assholes "child poison" doesn't sit well with anyone. (Even the poo poo-heads who buy wholesale into the spin machine at least want the EPA strung up. NO ONE wants to just shrug and say "You can't make an omelet without poisoning eight and a half thousand children!"

The real answer for why no one has taken a shot at him, despite the many, many ways it's relatively easy to end one of us meatsacks, is that the bulk of people don't have it in us to hurt someone. I'm in the "Give the idiot a dirt nap" crowd, but could I do it? Hell no. That's a person in there, somewhere. Fundamentally, we're wired to know that killing people is wrong, and the kind of person that has their wires wired on wrong to actually try it in the coldly calculated way to bring it off is also the kind of person who is probably not morally outraged by the thousands of poisoned children and other innocent people.

This is the only reason scummy politicians and full-on dictators survive anywhere. The hardest thing about killing a person is getting over the programming that says not to, and despite the existence of monsters, we're all better off that that programming exists.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
killing a nobody is taboo but done a lot anyways, killing someone powerful and part of the system has a sort of unthinkable quality to it, to the point only unhinged people do it generally.

americans still maintain an innate belief in the overall legitimacy of our social systems. if that belief were undermined, and if those in power were more brought down to earth rather than being seen as occupying a parallel universe on t.v., people would be more amicable to violence.

humans do not hold an innate resistance to killing. in modern times there's a lot of possible guilt associated with it, but it's only social programming and can be pretty easily rationalized away.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 20, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Well, yes, killing someone that high up is a sure way to ending your own life either by death or prison.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I sincerely hope that the only harm that befalls Rick Snyder is being outcast politically, being forced to resign, a criminal investigation and maaaaybe a glass of flint tap water but thats it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'd be fine with him stuck in jail drinking flint tap water for the rest of his life

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Veryslightlymad posted:

I said the Police because they're the ones in the best position to do it and get away with it, and, as much as cops can be assholes "child poison" doesn't sit well with anyone. (Even the poo poo-heads who buy wholesale into the spin machine at least want the EPA strung up. NO ONE wants to just shrug and say "You can't make an omelet without poisoning eight and a half thousand children!"

The real answer for why no one has taken a shot at him, despite the many, many ways it's relatively easy to end one of us meatsacks, is that the bulk of people don't have it in us to hurt someone. I'm in the "Give the idiot a dirt nap" crowd, but could I do it? Hell no. That's a person in there, somewhere. Fundamentally, we're wired to know that killing people is wrong, and the kind of person that has their wires wired on wrong to actually try it in the coldly calculated way to bring it off is also the kind of person who is probably not morally outraged by the thousands of poisoned children and other innocent people.

This is the only reason scummy politicians and full-on dictators survive anywhere. The hardest thing about killing a person is getting over the programming that says not to, and despite the existence of monsters, we're all better off that that programming exists.

What? Hell no, the only reason this guy isn't dead is because most people know that your chances of getting away with murder even of a normal person are very low, and the chances of getting away with killing a someone who is known all over the country are basically zero. I, and almost anyone else who's been paying attention to the pile of absolute garbage your country has become, would gladly kill any of the people responsible for the actual atrocities going on in your country without hesitation if we knew we'd get away with it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Please. Everyone knows people who talk about who they'd go after if they get cancer and have nothing to lose, but how many people with terminal diseases ACTUALLY light up a bunch of monsters? Pretty much zero. It's not a fear of getting caught or a fear of failure, it's not honestly having the stomach to do it.

EDIT:
Again, I'm prefacing this as a very good thing

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If you retardss keep talking about assassinations I'm gonna close the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Gooooood point. Didn't a similar derailment cause the site to be investigated once a few years back? That'd be embarrassing.

Let's hope the only thing actually killed is the further political aspirations of our glorious Governor. When I heard he had that exploratory committee during this cycle's "Everyone in the pool!" run-up I drat near had a heart attack.

• Locked thread