Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I love how part of the problem is two non-elected dictators running Detroit and Flint, couldn't reach a financial agreement with one another.

This is Rick Snyder's leadership. He personally placed both individuals and they got in a pissing match that ended with Flint pulling away and going to a lovely backup water source. It doesn't even succeed as fascism. Fascists at least work in lock-step. This is just comical everyone-for-themself backbiting, the likes of which is typically seen in popular depictions of the armies of Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's not really true as far as I understand. Nazi Germany was rife with petty rivalries, centered around gaining the favor of Hitler.

Ssshhhhhh.

(But yeah, they totally tried to kill Hitler once it was clear he was nuts and his plan was a complete disaster.)

EDIT

SgtScruffy posted:

Someone help me understand the conservative defense of this - the right has been blaming this on the EPA not saying anything or doing anything until it was too late. To what extent is this true, and to what extent does it matter?

Is it more, "City manager was instated which was a bad idea, and made bad choices that set everything in motion, so he is first to blame, but the EPA did not do enough to alert?" The easy answer I'm sure around DnD is "the right wing is lying straight up." but I want to understand the EPA argument a little more

The EPA reported a while ago that there were serious concerns about the water levels, but it either got covered up or lost in the shuffle of generalized dumbassery. To save face, the one side is proclaiming that it was definitely a cover up and therefor no fault whatsoever can be placed at the feet of our glorious god-emperor Snyder.

Listening to my dad go on about this nonsense really opens my eyes to just how refined the Republican bullshit machine is.

Everyone should resign or face prison charges or both. Across party lines. It's been pointed out that if the Michigan Government were ISIS this would be the single most successful attack they've ever staged on a Western target.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 27, 2016

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

LionYeti posted:

Why would you live in a condo instead of a nice governors mansion.

Ratoslov posted:

I am honestly surprised Snyder hasn't had at at least one assassination attempt yet.

Ta-da.

I'm actually more surprised the police guarding him haven't assassinated him.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I said the Police because they're the ones in the best position to do it and get away with it, and, as much as cops can be assholes "child poison" doesn't sit well with anyone. (Even the poo poo-heads who buy wholesale into the spin machine at least want the EPA strung up. NO ONE wants to just shrug and say "You can't make an omelet without poisoning eight and a half thousand children!"

The real answer for why no one has taken a shot at him, despite the many, many ways it's relatively easy to end one of us meatsacks, is that the bulk of people don't have it in us to hurt someone. I'm in the "Give the idiot a dirt nap" crowd, but could I do it? Hell no. That's a person in there, somewhere. Fundamentally, we're wired to know that killing people is wrong, and the kind of person that has their wires wired on wrong to actually try it in the coldly calculated way to bring it off is also the kind of person who is probably not morally outraged by the thousands of poisoned children and other innocent people.

This is the only reason scummy politicians and full-on dictators survive anywhere. The hardest thing about killing a person is getting over the programming that says not to, and despite the existence of monsters, we're all better off that that programming exists.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Please. Everyone knows people who talk about who they'd go after if they get cancer and have nothing to lose, but how many people with terminal diseases ACTUALLY light up a bunch of monsters? Pretty much zero. It's not a fear of getting caught or a fear of failure, it's not honestly having the stomach to do it.

EDIT:
Again, I'm prefacing this as a very good thing

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Gooooood point. Didn't a similar derailment cause the site to be investigated once a few years back? That'd be embarrassing.

Let's hope the only thing actually killed is the further political aspirations of our glorious Governor. When I heard he had that exploratory committee during this cycle's "Everyone in the pool!" run-up I drat near had a heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

No, they want to prove he plausibly had no idea it was going on because he's never in Lansing, as in doesn't bother to show up for work any more, he has people handling everything for him.

He never leaves Ann Arbor.

Don't worry folks. He's not directly responsible for the crisis through malice, merely through gross negligence

• Locked thread