Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Epic High Five posted:

"pre-modern humans were nonviolent and in tune with nature" - no megafauna ever

Poked my head into this thread and was: glad I did.

Beverage companies' entire production model is based on monopolizing a water source and selling it back to people. You could argue that it's the same as exploiting the resources on any other piece of land, but it's a sensitive issue for a variety of reasons, including the fact that it's a fundamental necessity for life. Privatizing water in already impoverished areas can create economic disasters in which foreign or otherwise higher-wealth markets drive the cost of water up out of reach of the people who were previously able to live on public water supplies, like what happened in Bolivia 20 years ago. It turns out that corporations don't actually give a poo poo about anything besides their profit margins.

http://www.newsweek.com/race-buy-worlds-water-73893
This article is a little old, but a megalomaniacal need to "privatize all water" is definitely a baked-in aspect of the soft drink industry, and the people doing it vary on a full range between not giving a poo poo about the human cost of doing so and earnestly believing that the free market will sort it out. Never mind that, in order to participate in the "free market", you have to be able to afford the buy-in cost in the first place.

Anyway, Flint's water is super hosed for maybe a long time. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up having to write off the whole community and relocate people, like the time an unwitting entrepreneur contaminated Times Beach, MO with Agent Orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The EPA was kind of a bad guy in this case, but the GOP using it as an excuse to abolish the EPA, instead of just reforming it, is a major red flag. Like, let's be real here. If it weren't for the EPA looming over our glorious Captains of Industry, every city in America would have one of those apocalyptic Beijing smog clouds and like radioactive asbestos in the tap water.

• Locked thread