Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When people ask me why the gently caress I moved to Kansas it's because I used to live in Flint

This is all continuing fallout from GMs decision to abandon the town back in the 70s and 80s, the resulting collapse of the tax base and the slow decay of the infrastructure in the city. The city has had emergency managers off and on since 2002 and efforts to spin the city into a college town have largely failed for a lack of investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

technically this was the Flint city council

they voted to make to form a new water authority and switch over before Snyder was even elected

the EM made the swap over about a year earlier than was originally planned and before the rest of the water infrastructure was finished

The fact that they moved off of Detroits water before the pipeline to Lake Huron was done is what had caused this crisis to begin with

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Dearborn has a lot of Arab Americans and Hamtramck elected a majority Muslim city council, this could have legs

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Oracle posted:

Keep in mind Flint is collared by several white-flight towns/cities/villages including Flint Township which is where Miller Rd a major retail district is located (and which doesn't use Flint city water), some quite nice (Grand Blanc, Flushing to a lesser extent). There's plenty of grocery stores in the area its not like an isolated community with nothing around it for miles. Still sucks to live in Flint proper especially if you don't have a car. They closed the last major grocery store in city limits (and it was on the outskirts) which was Meijers on Pierson Rd. last year just after Christmas and bulldozed it. That place was old enough I remember going there as a kid, it was where everyone did their major grocery shopping. Meijers is a Michigan chain that's like a Walmart or a Super Target before either were a thing. You can buy everything there from groceries to snow tires to clothing and furniture.

holy crap, what happened to all the Krogers and VGs and poo poo, there were like 3 in the city when I left

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://nbc25news.com/news/local/report-clinton-sanders-to-hold-presidential-debate-in-flint

This will be pretty cool

• Locked thread