Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
acab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
killing a nobody is taboo but done a lot anyways, killing someone powerful and part of the system has a sort of unthinkable quality to it, to the point only unhinged people do it generally.

americans still maintain an innate belief in the overall legitimacy of our social systems. if that belief were undermined, and if those in power were more brought down to earth rather than being seen as occupying a parallel universe on t.v., people would be more amicable to violence.

humans do not hold an innate resistance to killing. in modern times there's a lot of possible guilt associated with it, but it's only social programming and can be pretty easily rationalized away.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 20, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

i am harry posted:

You're very wrong; Yes they do. We dehumanize military enemies so our soldiers can slaughter them as animals, rather than people. When a person kills another person, it is often only because they see them as something less than "person"

That is because our culture abhors the act of killing and the use of violence without a very good reason. Aversion to use of violence is a learned behavior; dehumanization helps us overcome the guilt associated with the act, but that guilt is defined by our culture and varies from place to place, and especially comparing our time period with something like the Roman Empire (who, incidentally, were shame based rather than guilt based, and didn't really do dehumanization, either. Hell, they'd kill you and then write poo poo about how awesome and noble you were because it made the Romans look even better since they were the ones to put you down).

its all pretty off topic; I'd recommend looking up stuff about PTSD in past societies compared to modern ones re: the use of violence.

e: vvvv

IronicDongz posted:

Citation needed? As I understand it aversion to violence, especially violence to humans, is deeply instinctual. If you actually have a legitimate source that says otherwise I'd love to see it.

I don't have any sort of direct study on nonviolence being learned (although maybe stuff exists that can be found with google, idk), but I got some relevant stuff.

First one is a reddit link and its more about PTSD, but it relates to the "innateness" of violence aversion. https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1j6ssm/are_there_any_indications_of_combat_ptsd_in/

My own understanding on violence is mostly influenced by reading history and noting how you can have completely different reactions to violence. There's also the criminological views on violence; one book you can look at on it is this book on violence and shame, which talks about how criminal subcultures, which are frequently shame based, can push people into rather remorseless violent action that appears sociopathic to an outside observer, without really dealing in dehumanization.

ee: Another good book is All God's Children, which goes over violence in the USA and what happens when people are not raised in a nonviolent, secure environment.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 19, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

please stop talking about the nature of violence or whatever the hell you people are talking about

stop talking about anime in the gw thread :colbert:

but yeah, this line of conversation could stand to be its own thread

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i find the most incredulous aspect of this sort of thing is that if the water switchover, by some miracle, hadn't blown up horribly and had resulted in flint saving some amount of money (or lets be honest, even if it hadn't but could be spun to look like it did), synder would be all over it, claiming credit each step of the way.

but when it turns out horribly, then all the Serious People in the room feel the need to ask "how much power/knowledge over this did synder really have? maybe he was blind deaf and mute the whole time, you can't really prove otherwise"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Someone doesn't have much experience with the Republican damage control team

it is just damage control/"failing upwards" culture in general, really

• Locked thread