Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BlackIronHeart posted:

It's a bit more complicated and hosed up than that. The Detroit Free Press has written about it quite a bit.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/01/16/president-obama-declares-emergency-flint/78898604/

Basically, our Governor appointed an Emergency Manager to run the city because it was in bad financial straits. The appointed EM, Darnell Earley, went about slashing and cutting costs to try and resolve the financial situation. Not that he wants to admit that now, of course.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/01/14/in-flint-bad-tap-water-runs-politically-deep/

In short, welcome to the Snyder-ation; "gently caress you and do what I tell you, god drat it!"

rscott posted:

When people ask me why the gently caress I moved to Kansas it's because I used to live in Flint

This is all continuing fallout from GMs decision to abandon the town back in the 70s and 80s, the resulting collapse of the tax base and the slow decay of the infrastructure in the city. The city has had emergency managers off and on since 2002 and efforts to spin the city into a college town have largely failed for a lack of investment.

Well, not for lack of trying. Seems Flint has a really bad image including a horrid crime rate and no one wants to sink money into that shithole.

I live about 20 miles east of flint and we're getting some of the sprawling violence here. Recently over the last two years there's been a number of domestic violence calls and gunfire mostly from people who moved out of flint

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ayn rand hand job posted:

Centralia isn't a superfund site and Flint is approx 100x the population of Centralia at its peak, so probably never.

Eh, do it like Pripyat. Tell everyone they're being evacuated for 3 days, line up busses, get them all out, shoot the pets, hose down the tires and never let them go back till Flint has been reclaimed by nature. Play our cards right we can turn it into a desolate tourist hotspot too

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ErichZahn posted:

So thread, what will come first, the report from UN observers, or federal action?

Anyway, it's worth noting that snyder gave some company their own water service because the acid/heavy metals/salt in the river was corroding their machines and had caused injuries.

Hell he came to Vlasic where I worked at that point and got boo'd out by the union workers there.

Oracle posted:

Hahahahaha. Oh man, this is just classic Snyder. If Blagovich went to jail for massive corruption, Snyder deserves the loving chair. At least Blago didn't kill anyone.

And who is Rich Baird? A seriously slimy motherfucker, that's who.
It’s astonishing that Gov. Snyder would turn to someone with Baird’s sordid history for such a critical position. Baird has extremely thin skin, particularly when it comes to dealing with women in power. He once threatened to sue then-Senate Democratic Leader Gretchen Whitmer and former Michigan AFL-CIO president Karla Swift for having the temerity to publicly criticize him.
[/quote]

Henry Frick reincarnate

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 7, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Not to make up excuses, but you know the people that care and are mad here in Michigan aren't that well off and either have no way to get there or don't have the time to burn picketing at his house. Plus it's pretty damned lovely weather to stand in front of a house belonging to some guy that thinks he's a king

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
"let it" doesn't fit right. "Made it with knowledge of how much of a bad idea it was and tried to cover it up when it did go south " is much more fitting

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is tap water not safe to drink or what?

Do you live in Flint? (check the appropriate choice)

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

If you answered "yes" above, no, the water isn't safe. If you answered "no", then most likely it's safe*, though not always guaranteed.

* In reporting to you results of any questionare that you take, we will mention possible interpretations that have a basis in research done (at the University of Bullshit) with these questions. However, these Universities, as well as the individual researchers who have contributed to this questionare, make no claim for the validity of these suggested interpretations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Retired FBI agent says manslaughter highest possible charge in Flint water case.

It can't be mentioned enough that Bill Schuette wants to be the next governor of Michigan.

Of course Snyder will buy his way out while leaving the underlings to hang for it

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ta-da.

I'm actually more surprised the police guarding him haven't assassinated him.

I'm sure property rights come in too. People picketing the governor's mansion are difficult to remove while picketing his private home he can have you hauled off within minutes.

Radish posted:

Why would police care that he's poisoning black people?

I know this is supposed to be sarcastic, but there are still quite a few white people that live in Flint. The people from Flint that work in the shop I do bring water bottles when they come in and fill them before heading home at night

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Well, yes, killing someone that high up is a sure way to ending your own life either by death or prison.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Thoughts? We know Snyders' rarely in Lansing unless he has to be. He hides out in his $2.5 million condo in A2.

Wait, is someone trying to defend him by doing suspiciously illegal activities?

What the hell.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ I just find the need to defend him confusing. Generally when you are in charge and place certain events in process and ignore the negative outcomes you are the one held responsible.

IronicDongz posted:

Citation needed? As I understand it aversion to violence, especially violence to humans, is deeply instinctual. If you actually have a legitimate source that says otherwise I'd love to see it.

Granted I've no sources except old social studies type dealings, but as I've heard some experts say is that man is really complex when it comes to violence. We've only been "civilized" for a short time and living in fairly safe societies for a lot less time, but ancient man restrained from violence to those around him because in small groups everyone had to help everyone. Being openly hostile was damaging to your continued survival while violence to other groups was less restrictive because your group came first and other groups were suspected threats upon first meeting.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Frykte posted:

Is it at all possible that the officials responsible for keeping Flint's water clean poisoned the water themselves so they could keep it all? Corporations are already buying the rights to take water from lakes and rivers so that they can bottle it up and make a profit off of it. Is it possible that the water was poisoned so that the corporations could have all the water for themselves?

I'm pretty sure no corporation is willing to take that risk in loving Michigan. We've got thousands of springs and surrounded on three sides by huge lakes. This isn't loving Death Valley where every drop of water is worth more than gold. Hell, you can dig down ten feet in places and strike water.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dmitri-9 posted:

Supplying a city is different from buying a well point at Home Depot. Switching Flint to Lake Huron would further undermine DWSD's budget which Snyder could easily break up and sell to private companies using his extremely broad gubernatorial powers.

That's not what the conspiracy du jour said though. Just that is it possible they poisoned the water themselves to sell it to corporations. That's a pretty dangerous, stupid, and pointless move considering you can't walk ten feet around here without stumbling upon some source of water or simply dig a hallow hole for it instead. I mean, poisoning a major city on the part of some company to get access to Flint's water supply in a place where water supplies are extremely abundant is just mind numbingly stupid. Even moreso when that poisoning is going to be found out from simply looking at the brown/gray water coming from every tap of every household in a city and suburb of some 100,000 people.
Not like the Flint river doesn't have a long history of pollution to start with which is just stupid stacked on stupid when it comes to bottled water conspiracies.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, kinda. the big difference being that the Muskie is a shitload cleaner than the Big Flint Ditch. It'd either cost a company more than they're willing to spend to decontaminate it or suffer the impending lawsuits when people get sick.
I mean sure, it could go that route, but it requires quite a large gathering of stupid, complication, and pointlessness. And a willingness to take quite a real chance at sinking your company.
Basically it does what all conspiracies do, over complicates and raises more questions and improbabilities than it answers and resolves

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

One of the details with the Flint water crisis was the break-in at the office where records and an old TV were stolen shortly after the scandal broke. It's now been determined by police that the break-in was an inside job

Yeeeeaaaaah ok. Good job there Flint police. I've had poo poo stolen out of my car where vital components were left behind. It certainly wasn't me that stole them.

Had a cb radio stolen but the antenna was left behind. Had a shitload of sockets stolen but the actual socket wrench left behind. 2 ton floor jack stolen but the handle to use it was left behind.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Repo Man posted:

Again, read the whole article. 1 specific office was targeted, and only documents about the water issue were targeted. The monitor is secondary.

I did. Though I was focusing on that specifically because it really means nothing. It's like the cops said "We have evidence this was an inside job, and the sky was blue today." It's just a comically stupid addition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

deadly_pudding posted:

The EPA was kind of a bad guy in this case, but the GOP using it as an excuse to abolish the EPA, instead of just reforming it, is a major red flag. Like, let's be real here. If it weren't for the EPA looming over our glorious Captains of Industry, every city in America would have one of those apocalyptic Beijing smog clouds and like radioactive asbestos in the tap water.

Just one step closer to real life Dominion Tank Police

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i find the most incredulous aspect of this sort of thing is that if the water switchover, by some miracle, hadn't blown up horribly and had resulted in flint saving some amount of money (or lets be honest, even if it hadn't but could be spun to look like it did), synder would be all over it, claiming credit each step of the way.

but when it turns out horribly, then all the Serious People in the room feel the need to ask "how much power/knowledge over this did synder really have? maybe he was blind deaf and mute the whole time, you can't really prove otherwise"

Someone doesn't have much experience with the Republican damage control team

• Locked thread