Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Nckdictator posted:

Everyone was hoping for bi-partisan cooperation but not like this.

When it comes to reporting "Sir, I think we're poisoning the city." and shifting off the blame, it's pretty popular to pass it off.

Also, it's not like Federal bodies haven't tried to cover this poo poo up before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_contamination_in_Washington,_D.C._drinking_water

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's basically the story of this entire region of the nation, really. Industry has been fleeing since the 70's and taking all of the good jobs with it. When Republicans end up in charge poo poo just gets worse. Every GOP candidate's platform is "we're going to create jobs by giving preferential treatment to companies to get them to move here!" What ends up happening is spending goes down, everything in the state gets worse, and what few jobs are created aren't given to people in the state. The money that is given to the companies in grants or favorable taxation laws just vanishes into the ether. The promises are never kept and the Republicans just pass the blame, accuse Democrats of sabotage, or claim we just didn't freedom hard enough so let's freedom harder in the next election and I swear it will work this time.

Uh, the auto industry and economy in Michigan at least has been growing since Snyder, so I'm not too sure if that's a great argument to pick.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But what good has it been doing for everybody but the auto industry?

Any gains that happen during a Republican government tend to go to business and nobody else.

More jobs? Higher minimum wage? I don't know how D&D does its capitalist exploitation adjusted economy figures.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Michigan is a poverty-stricken hellhole as is the rest of the Rust Belt. "More jobs" is a poor metric because 5 jobs would be "more" but do gently caress all to fix the problems.

How many people did the new jobs lift out of poverty and how does that help the students whose schools are in ruins? Jobs don't uncontaminate the water nor do they automatically fix the problems the state has, which are many.

What do you want from me, dude. I'm just saying prior to this BS, Snyder was a pretty okay governor for the most part.

PS: I live in Michigan too.

• Locked thread