Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ReadyToHuman posted:

Poisoning a city is one hell of a mulligan.

"Well other than that, how was the theater Mrs. Lincoln?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

IronicDongz posted:

Citation needed? As I understand it aversion to violence, especially violence to humans, is deeply instinctual. If you actually have a legitimate source that says otherwise I'd love to see it.

SocketWrench posted:

Granted I've no sources except old social studies type dealings, but as I've heard some experts say is that man is really complex when it comes to violence. We've only been "civilized" for a short time and living in fairly safe societies for a lot less time, but ancient man restrained from violence to those around him because in small groups everyone had to help everyone. Being openly hostile was damaging to your continued survival while violence to other groups was less restrictive because your group came first and other groups were suspected threats upon first meeting.

Lawrence Keely's War Before Civilization: The Myth of the Peaceful Savage is a good read about how we all really are, and for the most part always have been, a murderous pack of apes and truly pacifistic societies are historical anomalies which only develop under special circumstances.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 19, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Don't pacifistic also tend to get wiped out by their neighbors?

Yeah, that's why they only persist under special circumstances ie: geographic isolation, or the ability to get the hell away from and/or accomodate their neighbors.

Keely's book is really an interesting one as one of his bigger arguments is, at the risk of oversimplifying his thesis, that latter 20th century anthropologists and archeologists "pacified the past" by intentionally ignoring evidence of organized prehistoric violence, an inclination which he puts down to subconscious guilt over the world wars and a neo-Roussoean desire to find in pre-civilized societies an innocence and peacefulness they believed mankind had lost due to industrial civilization.

• Locked thread