Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pangstrom posted:

This is really sad and shameful. Like it's easy to lose perspective about this and that incident du jour but this REALLY shouldn't happen in a first world nation.

The American right wing is desperately trying to shove the U.S. out of the first world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Damonic posted:

drat. That just makes me more sad. Aside from the attention with the water crisis, I hope that this also puts attention on similar poor towns.

I grew up in Shawnee Oklahoma, which has the same population size and is also quite poor. But it's full of white evangelicals and we had loving grocery stores, school nurses, and non poisoned water

It's basically the story of this entire region of the nation, really. Industry has been fleeing since the 70's and taking all of the good jobs with it. When Republicans end up in charge poo poo just gets worse. Every GOP candidate's platform is "we're going to create jobs by giving preferential treatment to companies to get them to move here!" What ends up happening is spending goes down, everything in the state gets worse, and what few jobs are created aren't given to people in the state. The money that is given to the companies in grants or favorable taxation laws just vanishes into the ether. The promises are never kept and the Republicans just pass the blame, accuse Democrats of sabotage, or claim we just didn't freedom hard enough so let's freedom harder in the next election and I swear it will work this time.

Meanwhile children are going hungry, nobody can get a proper education, and hordes of people are stuck in a poverty feedback loop. Crime goes up because desperate people whose benefits ran out start running drugs to feed their kids and keep the lights on and the Republican politicians somehow just loving magically find room in the budget to build fifteen more prisons.

Which communities all over the state will be falling over themselves to have built locally because of the promises of jobs.

This was a big reason PA in particular ended up hating all over Corbett and booting his rear end to the curb. He decreased the education budget and was proposing cutting the state's education budget in half. Top to bottom. The whole loving system. Meanwhile he was ratcheting the prison budget higher and higher. This is like...what Republicans do. gently caress the poor, poison them and put them in jail.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 28, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eskaton posted:

Uh, the auto industry and economy in Michigan at least has been growing since Snyder, so I'm not too sure if that's a great argument to pick.

But what good has it been doing for everybody but the auto industry?

Any gains that happen during a Republican government tend to go to business and nobody else.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eskaton posted:

More jobs? Higher minimum wage? I don't know how D&D does its capitalist exploitation adjusted economy figures.

Michigan is a poverty-stricken hellhole as is the rest of the Rust Belt. "More jobs" is a poor metric because 5 jobs would be "more" but do gently caress all to fix the problems.

How many people did the new jobs lift out of poverty and how does that help the students whose schools are in ruins? Jobs don't uncontaminate the water nor do they automatically fix the problems the state has, which are many.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Regalingualius posted:

So, is there a decent chance that this, plus all of the other recent fuckups that local branches have caused, will be an impetus to completely reorganize the EPA into a more centralized agency?

That would cost money so no.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wonder if he's not resigning because he knows that as long as he's still governor the political system will protect him.

Resigning would also require admitting that he did something wrong. That isn't exactly a thing Republicans are well known for.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Lawrence Keely's War Before Civilization: The Myth of the Peaceful Savage is a good read about how we all really are, and for the most part always have been, a murderous pack of apes and truly pacifistic societies are historical anomalies which only develop under special circumstances.

Don't pacifistic also tend to get wiped out by their neighbors?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, that's why they only persist under special circumstances ie: geographic isolation, or the ability to get the hell away from and/or accomodate their neighbors.

Keely's book is really an interesting one as one of his bigger arguments is, at the risk of oversimplifying his thesis, that latter 20th century anthropologists and archeologists "pacified the past" by intentionally ignoring evidence of organized prehistoric violence, an inclination which he puts down to subconscious guilt over the world wars and a neo-Roussoean desire to find in pre-civilized societies an innocence and peacefulness they believed mankind had lost due to industrial civilization.

I think one of the things is that people realized that mankind is perfectly capable of industrializing violence if given the tools. We'd like to believe that the world wars were flukes instigated by a handful of monsters rather than believing that we're just a species of monsters. Which is also I think why people like to believe odd things about situations like Flint. How could somebody be so inhuman?!?

Well that's the problem; they're being perfectly human. We're nasty, nasty things when given the tools to be. The difference between violence in prehistoric times and now is in the tools. Ugg McThroggun couldn't make mustard gas and kill other people by the thousands. He had to walk up to people individually and do it in person with something he made out of a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Not only that but the documents that were left were scattered everywhere. Sorry but this just screams "somebody incompetent is covering something up." The devil is in the details, as they say, and when the only things that go missing are a set of very specific documents and a TV that just screams cover up.

• Locked thread