Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I learned from the Maddow special that Flint doesn't have one school nurse, or grocery store... wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Oracle posted:

Keep in mind Flint is collared by several white-flight towns/cities/villages including Flint Township which is where Miller Rd a major retail district is located (and which doesn't use Flint city water), some quite nice (Grand Blanc, Flushing to a lesser extent). There's plenty of grocery stores in the area its not like an isolated community with nothing around it for miles. Still sucks to live in Flint proper especially if you don't have a car. They closed the last major grocery store in city limits (and it was on the outskirts) which was Meijers on Pierson Rd. last year just after Christmas and bulldozed it. That place was old enough I remember going there as a kid, it was where everyone did their major grocery shopping. Meijers is a Michigan chain that's like a Walmart or a Super Target before either were a thing. You can buy everything there from groceries to snow tires to clothing and furniture.

Im from San Antonio, so forgive my ignorance.

Is Flint an outer metro town, much like New Braunfels and Bandera is to us?

That still really sucks though. Most of the towns around SA have at least one HEB (major texas grocery store)

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
drat. That just makes me more sad. Aside from the attention with the water crisis, I hope that this also puts attention on similar poor towns.

I grew up in Shawnee Oklahoma, which has the same population size and is also quite poor. But it's full of white evangelicals and we had loving grocery stores, school nurses, and non poisoned water

• Locked thread