Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, I know what you mean. It's like when the actor's face in the little roundel doesn't match up between the first eight releases and then everything else after it.

I got the three Millennium box sets for Christmas and season three doesn't have a slipcase, so they don't quite line up on my shelf. It's almost annoying.

What about The Five Doctors: SE that has the Who logo in fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Long post, because I have so little time for posting anymore, so I have to post all at once:

For Big Finish folks:

I think I am at the point where I have to recommend avoiding Companion Chronicles with Leela. The frame story, which is depressingly Lidsteresque, has become more and more prominent until it basically eclipses the actual adventures of Leela and Four.

Just avoid anything written by Nigel Fairs. That man is incapable of doing anything "happy" or "lighthearted". The Tomorrow People, Sapphire & Steel, etc. Everything is just misery upon misery.

Also, he's their worst composer, too. While others like Briggs, Howard Carter, Jamie Robertson, and others always come up with something new and fresh, he just recycles the same music cues over and over again. I was listening to BF's Wizard of Oz adaptation, and I started to hear the same pan flute tune that I had heard in several TP and S&S, and when I looked in the liner notes, yep, "Music by Nigel Fairs".

I think the only reason they keep him around is because Louise Jameson loves him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rochallor posted:

On a sort of related note, I've just realized that the resolution to Clara's storyline is basically Season 6B.

Season 6B no longer exists due to BF's Early Adventure "The Black Hole". Please adjust your wikis appropriately.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

How does it wipe out season 6B?

Posting in spoilers just in case:

The Doctor, Jamie, & Victoria land on a space station on the edge of a black hole. While there they encounter a Time Lord named Constable Pavo and he helps the Doctor stop the station from going into the black hole. But Pavo's TARDIS is incapacitated, so he asks the Doctor to do his original mission for him: stop a scientist named Dastari from using time travel. And while the Doctor and Jamie leave, Victoria stays behind on to study graphology. Of course, this is only at the end of episode two, so at the beginning of episode three when the Doctor and Jamie return from having defeated the Sontarans, the plan to save the station didn't exactly work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

That's categorically impossible.

Hey, there are people on this board who think The Fearmonger is good, when it is, in fact, quite bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The book is far better than the mini series. For all the talent on screen it is really a chore to watch.

I enjoyed the radio adaptation from a couple years back.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Picklepuss posted:

The latest TV Cyberman voice is terrible. It sounds like the batteries in a Dalek toy are running low.

Nick Briggs told a story about when it came to Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, he and RTD had decided on the voice to use. So when they were filming (since Briggs does the voices live), director Graeme Harper came up to him and told him no, he wants the Cybermen to sound more like Darth Vader. Briggs began to fret, because he didn't want to upset the director, but that's not what he and RTD had agreed on. He conveyed this to David Tennant, who said "Call Russell". Briggs didn't want to do this, didn't want to cause waves, but David stressed "Call Russell". So Briggs did, explained the situation, and minutes after he got off the phone, Harper came up to him and told him they were going to do the voices they way Briggs wanted to.

The funnier story is on the eve of filming "Rise/Age", Briggs had been a party with Tennant, and at the end, Tennant bade him farewell with "See you in Cardiff!" and Briggs said he didn't think that was happening. Tennant was shocked, asked why, and got the reply that he assumed he wasn't doing the Cybermen voices. Tennant then (and I like to imagine after saying "What?" several times) called RTD, who immediately called Briggs, asking why he wasn't going to do the Cybermen voices. Briggs said his agent had never been contacted about it. RTD told him to hold on a minute, and Briggs said five minutes later his agent called saying he had been offered to the Cybermen voices for series 2.

I think it's funny that everyone involved with the production just assume that, of course, Nick Briggs is voicing the Cybermen, so no one actually bothered to book him for it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Stabbatical posted:

Those're some great stories, where did he tell them?

Doctor Who Magazine

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Same. Though of the Iron-man Cybermen I prefer their current slightly more rounded look, than the angular look they had in the early reboot seasons.

I preferred the angular look. I like how the face design was a stylized skull. Plus the suits made them seem bigger than than they actually were.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Psychic paper is a revival thing but Terrance Dicks used it in a Second Doctor story titled World Game. It was given to him by The Celestial Intervention Agency (a Time Lord black book organization) to help him blend into french society. Whether you accept that as canon or not is up to you.

In the 6th Doctor audio "Paper Cuts", it's revealed that Draconians have interior designs similar to Japanese shoji, and can project images from a person's thoughts. At one point the Doctor ends up taking a piece.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So apparently during an interview for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Matt Smith said he'd be up to doing Big Finish.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I'm gonna call bullshit on that. It absolutely sounds like retroactive justification, especially seeing as there had been Asian actors on the show in the past. And even if, unlikely as it sounds, there were literally no Asian actors available in the UK at the time, well, then maybe that's a sign that you shouldn't be putting on this story in the first place.

It's a real shame, because Chang is actually a really good character and having him played by an actor who wouldn't have to put on a horrible costume would have elevated a great story even higher. Instead it really drags it down.

This was a BBC show that ran for 20 years in Britain. It was cancelled 2 years after Talons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I just read Jon Pertwee's wikipedia page to see if he had any judo training (a question prompted by the weird black space fight in The Three Doctors). I am delighted to learn that he's part of the Ian Flemming / Roald Dahl crazy badass WWII super spy crew.

From a DWM a couple years back: apparently always trying to make a little extra money, Pertwee would steal Winston Churchill's cigar butts and sell them as mementos.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 14, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Au contraire! He was Lin Futu in Four to Doomsday; it's Four to Doomsday, in which we also discover that Tegan happens to speak "Aboriginal", whatever that is, and I'll forgive anyone for having bleached the details out of their brain.

He was also in the audio Loups-Garoux

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You can also see they blew their budget on the sets for those eps.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Hmm, I wonder if we're getting Strax and/or Davros in that second one; or if those actors will be playing different roles

Playing different roles, as is Niky Wardley

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dabir posted:

Oh poo poo, Alice Krige's in that third one! The Borg Queen!

She was also in the Tom story "Phantoms of the Deep"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The Nimon is pretty hilarious. I wonder if its weird body posture is the actor inside the suit trying to walk on giant platform shoes while wearing a mask that completely covers his head.

Trivia: the mask was supposed to be exactly that. A mask, hiding the Nimon's true visage beneath it. Then the production just said "gently caress it, that's good enough".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Levine himself denies it, but a lot of his contemporaries on the northern soul scene (where he's about as divisive as he is in the Who fandom) felt that he got as far as he did because his parents were quite well-off (they owned a popular entertainment complex in Blackpool), which meant he was in the privileged position that he could afford to go on annual family holidays to America (rare now for most people, but even more so in 1976, I imagine) and come home with tea chests full of something like 4,000 rare soul 45s. That let him become the top DJ at the Blackpool Mecca, which was his springboard into songwriting and music production, where he made his fortune (then blew it, then made it again).

His own view is that he would've found a way to get those singles regardless of his background, but I'd take that with a grain of salt, because he was acting as a supplier for other DJs via these overseas excursions as much as he was expanding his own collection.

The best was recently he was begging online for someone to help him pay for this huge shipment of records he was trying to procure. I think he was asking someone to go in half for it. And in return, they would get a fair number of the records. Selected by him, after he went through the collection for what he wanted.

Also, he had a brief tirade against Moffat in 2014 because Moffat had supposedly told him that there would be 13 eps and X-Mas special, and not 13 including the X-mas special. So he felt lied to and betrayed.

And then his rant against Eric Saward recently when Saward said in online interview that during Six's run there was never any story going to be called "Gallifrey". Levine went into full rant mode, claiming that he has a photographic memory, and he knows FOR A FACT that there was such a story, and Saward is just a liar.

Some believe that the character of the Abzorbaloff/Victor Kennedy was a supposed to big a dig a Levine.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

After The War posted:

There's a disturbing lack of Evelyn in that list.

Good news!
http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-special-offers-on-evelyn-smythe

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In a recent DWM feature, "The Fact of Fiction" about "Rose", RTD confirms that Ninth had NOT just regenerated.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

But was that what he intended when he was writing the episode? It seems like the scene where 9 looks at himself in the mirror could only be referring his recent regeneration. That doesn't have to mean minutes after, but I don't imagine the doctor goes months without seeing a mirror. If that was his intention and he's changing it now since 9's season was shorter than expected then I consider the original intent of the author canon. Not that canon matters in this show.

To put it this way: ever look at yourself in the mirror, and think "Eh, I don't like the way my [facial feature] looks?" Is it the first time you've ever seen it? It's a little gag, like how every incarnation seems to believe that he is the only one with a impeccable fashion sense. The Doctor looks in the mirror, thinks he looks good, except for his ears.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well that's far more palatable, it might be something to look into if I ever get caught up on the monthly range.... and the Eighth Doctor Adventures.... and the 4th Doctor Adventurers.... and the 10th Doctor Adventures..... and the War Doctor range.... and the special one-offs/box-sets like The Last Adventure and the Fifth Doctor boxset..... and the spin-offs like UNIT and River Song..... oh my God :stare:

Thank god I started at release 1, in 1999.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah; the only stuff off-limits anymore is anything from Capaldi-led episodes.

The Cult of Skaro and their role in the War are perfect for Big Finish, and I hope their absence from box 2 is just a sign that they will be in Box 3 or 4.

Remember though, The Cult of Skaro was just a thing of rumor the Doctor had heard of until he met them in Doomsday. He never met them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Best thing about Web Planet is the Doctor's utter disdain for the Animus. "Lower that hair dryer thing!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

cargohills posted:

What Doctor Who characters have been recast?

Elliot Chapman now voices Ben Jackson, Jemma Powell is Barbara Wright, Tim Treloar is the Third Doctor, and Frazier Hines is pretty much the Second Doctor now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Missing Eps are the only ones I haven't seen, so thank god for the soundtracks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Doom Coalition 2

Interesting little tidbit: Since River now seems aware of the 12th Doctor (asking “magician, the spiv, or the geography teacher”), then that means this story for her takes place between "Husbands of River Song" and "Silence in the Library".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just listened to BF's The Peterloo Massacre, and goddam BF needs to stop hiring Nigel Fairs to do the music. He just recycles the same poo poo he uses in all his other stories.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mummy, Flatliners, Under the Lake, Heaven Sent

Last Christmas and The Husbands of River Song

Well, I liked them

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I'm not a huge fan of most of RTD's work on Doctor Who but just on a personal level he seems rad as hell, I could listen to that dude talk all day long.

(actually I pretty much have, since on Toby Hadoke's podcast for Big Finish he released an interview that was 6 (!!!) half-hour episodes long)

I love listening to RTD talk about Who. His enthusiasm is just so infectious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In the recent DWM, celebrating the 20th anniversary of the TV movie, producer Jo Wright reveals this is who Universal wanted as the Doctor:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002246/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Also, Eric Roberts was shocked that he has 408 credits on his IMDB

They also interview Gordon Tipple, and show him in his Master costume, and yeah, he does look a lot like Jonathan Pryce's Master.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Tim Treloar doesn't sound anything much like Jon Pertwee at all.

There, I said it.

He has his moments, but yeah, I think Katy Manning does a much better job.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

Has there been any news on s10?

It's in 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish tweeted this

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/724325901337505792

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Barry the Sprout posted:

The one with the Mandrels?

I like Nightmare of Eden.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

pinacotheca posted:

Nightmare of Eden itself isn't great, but Lewis Fiander's bizarre Germanic accent is genuinely compelling television.

The Doctor walking in on the two captains arguing and watching as if it's a match at Wimbledon is awesome. And I loved the concept of the Continual Event Transmuter

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

pinacotheca posted:

Yeah, it has some good bits in it: the basic idea of two spaceships colliding/fusing into each other as one comes out of hyperspace is neat, David Daker's always good value for money and I do love the cliffhanger where Tom and Lalla escape by leaping into the projector, for example.

I think I like it more than either The Creature from the Pit or The Horns of Nimon, but not quite as much as Destiny of the Daleks.

(I don't actually like Destiny of the Daleks that much either, but who does?)

Heh, Destiny was the first episode of Who I watched and it made me a fan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Twenty-six years, in DW terms, used to only mean how long the original series ran. Now, it's also going to mean how long BF's been making DW:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-licence-extended-to-2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Depends on what the wording of the contract is. It might stipulate simply anything before the current Doctor's tenure.

The fact that the BBC used to only give them 2 year renewal cycles have now given them a 9 year lead, leads me to believe that they would be open to negotiations when the time comes.

• Locked thread