Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Toxxupation posted:

i thought you were a bad person, who thought midnight, was good

Midnight is one of the best episodes of Tennant's tenure as the Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I started listening to the Churchill audios...they used he appropriate theme music for each incarnation of the Doctor he meets. This pleases me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, did Tennant and Eccleston have different arrangements? I know Smith and Capaldi do.

Starting midway through Tennant's run (I think it premiered with Voyage of the Damned) he got a version with a lot more emphasis on the guitar.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Trin Tragula posted:

MURRAY GOOOOOOOOOOLD knows not of this "restraint" of which you speak

Good ol' Murray. He does have a problem with too much bombast...but goddamn I just love his work so much. His "Gallifrey and Gallifrey-related things" theme is amazing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder if Gatiss was offered the job? If not, why not? Maybe they felt he is too closely tied to Moffat, or didn't want to gently caress with Sherlock? Or maybe he was offered and turned it down.

I don't know how good a job he would have done, but I'd feel a bit better about it than Chibnal taking over. At least he has a couple of years to put his first season together, in any case.

Edit: I just saw he posted "Sclavus liberatus felix est" on his twitter about the time the announcement was made, so it strikes me that maybe he wouldn't have been particularly keen to have the job after all.

Yeah, Gatiss strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't want to be showrunner. Perfectly happy to write a handful of episodes, sit in on a bunch of meetings and offer ideas or advice, but not actually be the one in charge.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Plus 3 regular seasons has been a trend.

Eccleston gave us 1
Tennant did 3 and a year of specials
Smith did 3 with some scheduling weirdness
Capaldi could potentially only be down for 3 seasons with the same scheduling weirdness.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished up The Churchill Years, and rather enjoyed the set. My only real complaint is that Ian McNiece's impressions of each Doctor aren't all that good. But the Doctor is used rather sparingly throughout (which I actually really enjoy) so its not a huge issue. The third story in particular is full of well-executed fanservice including continuing the joke that if you try to speak Latin to a Roman, he'll think that you're Celtic; and the whole story takes place during A Christmas Carol and features Kazran Sardick as a companion!.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

IceAgeComing posted:

The one total fanwank thing that I'd really like to see Moffatt do would be a multi-Doctor thing with the Eighth Doctor; I think he's the only classic Doctor that isn't too old to return to the role and I can't really imagine anything with McGann and Capaldi being that bad.

This.

McGann is obviously still very keen on being the Doctor; even though he doesn't do Big Finish monthlies any more, he's still got ongoing series' of box sets and the occasional cameo elsewhere. He also came back for Night of the Doctor, so I could very much see him being willing to do some kind of full TV appearance.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Counterpoint: McGann isn't really a "classic" doctor :colbert:

He exists in a weird state, really. He has a direct link to McCoy, as they spent the first few minutes of the TV Movie showing the regeneration. It took us until Time of the Doctor and its associated episodes to show us McGann's link to the 'modern' era of Who.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Not as handsome as McGann.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsjgkgMpW7U

Big Finish's rendition of the Torchwood theme is way better than the TV show's version.

I do hope we get a full-team-audio at some point though, these one-offs just feel wrong.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know offhand when Big Finish tends to release stuff in the month? I know the second War Doctor set is coming sometime in February, but is it likely to hit this week? Or 3 weeks from now?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

IceAgeComing posted:

whenever they want really; they spread releases throughout the month

you get preorder prices right through to the end of the month though

Eh, its not the price that concerns me...I just want more John Hurt in my ears.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, in my 8th Doctor Catch Up, I finally got out of the Divergent Universe. Time for Terror Firma! I hear some people consider it a classic!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Presented without comment;

E: (I know someone posted the link already...but god drat the art)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

nonsense like the old Star Wars extended universe before that was mercifully removed from existence.

Hey; a lot of the old EU was really good!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

Please don't lie; to us or to yourself.

I still reread parts of it to this day!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Oh man...I'm sorely tempted by that Super Subscription.

I really really shouldn't...but I wanna

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Whole slew of Big Finish news that I spotted this morning.

1) War Doctor Box 2 coming next Monday, the 22nd.

2) Sheridan Smith returns as Lucie Miller for an upcoming Short Trips release.

3) Indira Varma returns as Suzie Costello for an upcoming Torchwood release.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

In other news, Eve Myles has said she's done with playing Gwen Cooper, so no returns to Torchwood.

Buh bye.

That's so weird; on an interview that came out with a really recent Torchwood audio, she said that she loved the character and would keep playing the role for as long as they offered it to her.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Torchwood was trash and I never had any attachment to Gwen because of that fact but she was okay in Stolen Earth/Journey's End and I always had a bit of a girl crush on Eve Myles so I'd hoped she would come back for a run of better stories with Big Finish.

I haven't gotten to her second (and I guess last) audio with Big Finish yet, but the first one she was in was pretty great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hmm, I wonder if we're getting Strax and/or Davros in that second one; or if those actors will be playing different roles

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And none written by Briggs

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Pinball Arcade guys just finished up a Kickstarter that's going to digitize the Doctor Who table.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

• Lucie's unorthodox protrusions. It's crude as hell, but I have to admit to getting a good laugh out of the robots complete failure to understand gender, and their confused attempts to understand two very prominent physical traits that Lucie has. An ending "poem" extolling Lucie's virtues is hugely amusing to the Doctor, and is a nice comedic note to end a pretty dark story on.

The EDA line sure likes to bring up Lucie's tits. Just trying to appeal to a younger audience or something?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of "things getting brought up in the audios" I'm honestly surprised that 4's hat and scarf don't get mentioned way more often in the FDA line. Every so often the scarf will get used as an emergency rope or something, but I'm kinda impressed by the restraint shown to not have it mentioned every. single. time. someone describes the Doctor aloud.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The second War Doctor set is officially released and can be downloaded now. Sadly, I am stuck at work for a few more hours!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The first one is obvious, changing the end of the time war does nothing except undermine the RTD character arc.

Except the Doctor still has to live with the idea that he made that choice all through his 9th, 10th, and most of his 11th incarnations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"How does one deal with the knowledge that you doomed your entire species" is very different to "How does one deal with mistakenly believing that you doomed your entire species" from an exterior point of view, especially if it was written as the former but became the latter later.

War, 9, 10, and 11 honestly believe that they did, in fact, doom their entire species. The Doctor has that guilt and shame, and it isn't until the events of Day of the Doctor that 11 and forward change things. From the point of view of the Doctor and the viewer, that entire time the Doctor did push the button. The Doctor was willing to burn Gallifrey and all the Daleks, and, for at least a while, he actually did make that choice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

The special also isn't 100% clear whether he actually did always save Gallifrey or if he changed the past. Lines like "you'll burn, I've seen that and I never want to see it again" make it easy to imagine that right up until Day Of The Doctor he actually did kill all the Time Lords.

That's what makes the "retcon" of Day of the Doctor so good; it allows both "Killed all the Time Lords and most of the Daleks" both happen and not happen.

And, even if the outcome was always "Didn't actually kill everyone", the Doctor at least still had to live with the knowledge that he did it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not quite done with The Neverwhen yet, so maybe that will change my mind a little bit, but after the first two episodes of the 2nd War Doctor boxset, I'm still a little disappointed in how they're writing the War Doctor himself. John Hurt continues to amaze and impress, and he's got the "Captain Grumpy" persona down pat...but I really want to see hear the Doctor really be the "one who broke the promise". For example, the conclusion of A Thing of Guile would have played SO much better to me if the Doctor himself who put on the Anima device and coerced the Daleks into firing on each other, rather than having Ollistra do it. I think that flows better for an incarnation that would say "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity". Talking someone else through an unpleasant scenario, making them to the dirty work, just doesn't seem like the War Doctor's style to me.

I know that fundamentally he's still the same man...but every time the War Doctor behaves exactly like any other incarnation of the Doctor would, it really undermines the "broke the promise" thing; makes me wonder why the 9th through 11th incarnations refused to acknowledge that incarnation's existence.

EDIT: Just rewatched a bit of Day, 11 even says that the War Doctor was a man who "had more blood on his hands than any other". So far they haven't let the War Doctor directly do much killing at all...

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 26, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

I have yet to listen to the War Doctor, but I read the book, and I think it's more interesting and appropriate for moments of the old Doctors to shine through. He is the same man after all.

Well, sure, there should be moments. He is, of course, still the Doctor...but I just want to see the moments that led him to pushing the Big Red Button the first time around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

"more blood on his hands" is referencing that he was the one that destroyed Gallifrey.

The way the lines and depictions are structured; 11 is saying that at Arcadia, pre-destruction of Gallifrey, War has the blood on his hands.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I do think that by the end of The Neverwhen you'll have seen that they are very much moving in the direction you'd like, I certainly did.

Oh good!

And again; I think the stories being told are great, John Hurt is killing it...I'm just not getting quite what I expected. With two more box sets to go, I'm hoping we get a nice neat arc that leads in the general direction of the Engines of War novel and the fall of Arcadia from Day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I do think that by the end of The Neverwhen you'll have seen that they are very much moving in the direction you'd like, I certainly did.

Quoting the same post again because I went ahead and finished up The Neverwhen before bed...and yes, yes that is exactly what I wanted from the War Doctor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The BtS featurette with Infernal Devices was just the John Hurt Appreciation Station and it was awesome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Handwavey bullshit explanation is that 9 has no memory of changing history wrt using the Moment to burn Gallifrey, so perhaps he was wandering aimlessly through time and space for a relative few years in anger/guilt/sadness, and his trip to see Rose was the first time he felt jovial again, and willing to face himself in the mirror again?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

Seized with a burning desire to watch all of Matt Smith's episodes again. naturally this would strike when they're off Netflix and never coming back.

Didn't they move to Amazon Prime video? Or am I mixing that up with some other show that got delisted from Netflix recently?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Who gives a poo poo what he says

He was the show runner at the time? And I think he wrote the episode in question?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

McCoy and Colin are gonna be in the next River Song set. Guess I'm gonna have to buy it.

I'm just glad that there's going to be a next set! Although I'm not looking forward to the hoops they'll have to jump through to keep 6&7 from directly interacting with River.

EDIT: also, Doom Coalition 2 coming March 3rd!!!!!

EDIT 2: That same announcement for River2 includes confirmation of Churchill 2 and Old Doctors/New Monsters 2.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

Would YOU tell Colin Baker he's not front and center?!?

drat it! I just finished the War Doctor set this morning and was going to start the main range again with The Bride of Peladon! I'm never going to get back to the Fifth Doctor!

Well, you've got 3 days to do. 5th doctor story in :)

As for the cover placement of characters; River is still the largest and most prominent person on the cover. "Read" from left to right, she's first.

• Locked thread