Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You guys wanna bitch about spines not lining up?

ANARCHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

It is kind of bizarre to realize how different Patrick Troughton looked as the Doctor than he did in so many of his other roles.

:stwoon:

He looks like Fleming's original sketch of Bond.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Boy, the Zygon two-parter is just...not very good at all. Especially that second episode. I've never had to force myself to finish a season like this before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's an ok speech, but it feels so cheap when you look at the two-parter as a whole. It's all one big messy lead-up to The Doctor making yet another heroic speech.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ok wow, Heaven Sent is a hell of an episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ok wow, Hell Bent is a dumpster fire of an episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm fine with Chibnall. Moffat may be a decent writer but he can't run a show to save his life. There's no way Chibnall can do worse. I'm more pissed about only getting a single episode next year and most likely losing Capaldi with Moffat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I see two decent but boring episodes. Still not making a case for Chibnall bungling the production of the show any worse than Moffat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
We're also still two years out from Chibnall taking over. A lot can happen in two years.

Personally, I think seasons 8 and 9 are equal in quality. There are some very high highs and some very low lows. Both seasons suffer from having great concepts and mediocre-to-bad execution. Capaldi took longer than usual to find his character but ended up being pretty great. As a character, Clara improved immensely. Missy is great and Gomez completely owns the role. If I were to give seasons 8 and 9 a numerical grade, it would probably be around 5.5-6/10.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 22, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah what the show really needs is a walking temper tantrum as The Doctor again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Toxxupation posted:

are all the people smugly crowing about how great chibnall is for unseating the Great Evil Moffat just like

not watch any of Chibnall's episodes, or only dinosaurs on a spaceship

i'm genuinely curious here, because oofdah doofah is chibnall's track record easily one of the worst on DW, only to be rivalled by what

peter harness? helen raynor?

:wtc: If anything, there's far more posts insisting the show is now doomed because the guy taking over wrote a handful of boring episodes. Everyone seems to be ignoring how poorly Moffat ran the actual production of the show, regardless of how you gauge his skill as a writer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Wait.

Ra's Al Ghul.

The batman villain of vaguely Arabic origin.

Played by John loving Barrowman?!? How is that not absolutely terrible?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Why is Ra's even on a Green Arrow show?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looks like speculation on Capaldi's successor has begun in earnest.

Aidan Turner as the Doctor? Is the world ready for a shirtless Doctor?

When reporting a casting rumor about the Doctor, it's probably best to use a picture that doesn't have his face covered. :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

qntm posted:

Or Billie Piper.

I'd be ok with this. I never cared for Rose, but she was great in the 50th.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Whoa, someone adapted Neverwhere? Is it worth watching?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The book is an adaptation of the TV series :eng101:

Well poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Personally, I feel Doctor Who could use a little less whimsy. I'm not asking for some stupid overly serious DC comics treatment here, but every time the music lifts and the leads smile at each other I feel the need to roll my eyes straight through the back of my skull.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

BSam posted:

Sorry, been a little busy. and my phone takes poo poo pictures probably, so hopefully these aren't too bad.

These are graphic props from the recent Christmas episode, secret santa'd to me by echoplex because he is awesome.

A spare label like one used on the doctors bottle of brandy

A menu from the starliner restaurant, one of many that were used in the actual episode.

Even worse quality on my part, a photo of a print out of a screencap of when said props were used in the episode.

I'm actually kinda torn on if I should purchase an appropriately shaped brandy bottle to apply the sticker label to.

This is fantastic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You can get a region free dvd player off amazon for $30-$40.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 8, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I vote Pyramids.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

2house2fly posted:

Seized with a burning desire to watch all of Matt Smith's episodes again. naturally this would strike when they're off Netflix and never coming back.

This is why physical media is still king. Take notes, millennials. I'll still be watching Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Twilight Zone long after this Netflix fad goes the way of the dinosaur. :cawg:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
To play devil's advocate, it's also being marketed to Who fans willing to listen to audio plays. I'm willing to bet the majority of that demographic are male, classic series fans, age 25+. So of course River's going to share cover space with Sly and Colin. It sucks and in a perfect world River would be front and center, but I'm not surprised.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That hair looks like a cross between Bruce Lee's and a bomber cap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You people can sit through River Song episodes, 6th Doctor audios, and whatever the gently caress The End of Time was, but the mere announcement of Chibnall running the show has you throwing in the towel?

And you call yourselves fans :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Wait, who are the spic and the geography teacher supposed to be?

That's a hell of a typo :captainpop:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Spaz here is the same as goofy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Makes sense. I saw the Matilda musical while in London and the used-car salesman dad gave me serious Tennant vibes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Several of the North American Classic Who DVDs are out of print now and fetch a pretty penny on eBay. It's been very tempting to just sell all of mine and replace them with region 2 copies.

For instance, there's two copies of Time Flight on eBay right now; one is $35, the other $60. I think I paid $8 for my copy.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 24, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I haven't done it in a while, but the trick is to order enough that you offset the shipping charge. Generally, 6-10 DVDs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Goddamn cloud-based streaming millennials and their war on physical media :argh:

This is a serious post

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Classic by age, maybe. Classic by other definitions? Ehhh....

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Lucky number 13, baby.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burkion posted:

We are immensely lucky because we have never had a bad Doctor to date.

Where were you Christmas 2005 - January 1, 2010?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I have never found anything near that awesome at Spitalfields :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My problem with the Walking Dead comic is that the art is garbage (after issue 6 or 10 or whenever the original artist left) and the story is boring as poo poo. And I say this as someone who kept up with it until Negan showed up. His intro is when I had to step back and cut that turd loose.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Laughing my rear end off at "the new artist" in reference to the guy who has drawn 145 issues of the Walking Dead without missing a beat. Tony Moore probably hasn't drawn that many comics in his entire career.

Quality over quantity. Jim Lee might make deadlines no problem, but I'll take Frank Quitely or JH Williams over him any day, delays and all. Boring art in a visual medium should be a punishable offense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That's even more shameful then. Boring art that can't hit shelves on time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I didn't realize it until it was mentioned in a Cracked article today, but the director of both The Girl Who Died and The Woman Who Lived was none other than Ed Bazalgette, former lead guitarist of The Vapors. You may remember them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWwM2wwMww

a trifecta of terrible garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Tom Waits is next.

:getout:

• Locked thread