Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
For some reason I had it in my head that the Tennant Big Finish stories were coming out earlier in the year than they actually are so when I looked it up recently and saw they aren't due til May I was very :negative:.

I need my Ten and Donna fix now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Someone get Ian Levine on the phone, we need another charity single to have the show back on this year.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

So apparently during an interview for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Matt Smith said he'd be up to doing Big Finish.

I'd be keen for The Adventures of Eleven and Handles

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Torchwood was trash and I never had any attachment to Gwen because of that fact but she was okay in Stolen Earth/Journey's End and I always had a bit of a girl crush on Eve Myles so I'd hoped she would come back for a run of better stories with Big Finish.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've been using ABC2's perpetual Doctor Who reruns for background noise while I've done dishes the last couple of nights and they're up to the end of Eccle's run at the moment and 1) Bad Wolf is the most mid-2000s thing that ever mid-2000sed and 2) I feel really bad for Lynda with a Y :(

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I know it's meant to be quite wretched but I couldn't stop myself from paying threebux for Unbound: Exile while it's on sale this weekend to experience the wretchedness for myself. There's too much good Doctor Who I haven't experienced yet to be purposefully wasting time on bad Doctor Who like this and yet here I am doing these terrible things to myself.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Got a handful of Target novelisations from a garage sale this morning to throw on my random mishmash "collection" of Target books and a couple of covers in particular I want to comment on (pictures nicked from wiki because why take my own)

The Drahvins look kinda fabulous here in an old scifi way, but how do you do a Galaxy Four cover and not put a Chumbley on it!?

Also just this Tom Baker face on Revenge of the Cybermen. It's amazing and almost entirely makes up for the story being a stinker.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They introduced her with a short video, for anyone who cares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLficIRInM

"That's not explainin', that's just saying a word."

I love her already.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

Do you want a whole bunch of Paul McGann? Because you're going to get a whole bunch of Paul McGann!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-eighth-doctor---20th-anniversary-special-offers

Was tempted to grab all the Dark Eyes sets but I'm still only half way through the Eighth Doctor Adventures yet, and at the slow pace I get through those (not to mention the glut of main range stuff I'm still dragging my feet on listening to (and the Tennant set coming out next week!)) it feels like they'll probably be on sale again by the time I'm actually ready for them.

Suppose I might use this as an excuse to grab the Diary of River Song, even though it's only been knocked back a few dollars to its preorder price.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
ahhhh Tenth Doctor Adventures is up

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've listened to Technophobia so far, and pretty much what everyone has said about it is spot on. Pretty middle of the road playing it safe story but it is sooooooo good hearing Tennant and Tate together again. And yeah, the "diminishing brain functions" thing was pretty resonant as someone who's been through both their grandmothers slowly deteriorating from dementia.

Gaz-L posted:

a Tenth Doctor set with Jack and Jacqui.

Well this is an incredible idea I didn't know I wanted but suddenly need

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

I only have The Wrong Doctors from this lot. I thought I had Legend of the Cybermen as well, but after checking my account it's actually the later Six/Jamie/Cybermen story, Last of the Cybermen, that I have instead.

Tempted to just grab the lot. I'm always keen for more C. Bakes and Fraze together, am interested in seeing (hearing) Mel get the Big Finish rehabilitation treatment, and then just throwing the last few on because you can never have enough Colin Baker.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

So Fear the Walking 8th Doctor then?

A show that promises to be about the Eighth Doctor but then timeskips past the interesting part of its premise and is just Ninth Doctor reruns? :v:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Finished listening to Diary of River Song last night and it's made me think words I never imagined I would after the overexposed mess series 6 made of her character: I want more River Song.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Radio Times posted:

In comparison ... Vengeance on Varos ended up 57% good vs 43% bad.

Many say it's a classic.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
No, not the hivemind probe.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm reading the Doctor Who/Star Trek TNG crossover after grabbing the Trek Humble Bundle and the art is kinda mushy and naff but Kirk dropkicking a Cyberman in the little flashback story gives me life.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, I quite liked the first Rocket Men, guess I ought to grab Return of the Rocket Men now. Plus the few Fourth Doctor Adventures that are in this sale, because one always needs more Tom Baker.

The Library of Alexandria, another Companion Chronicle that is part of the sale, is a pretty good Hartnell-era pseudo-historical.

Cleretic posted:

I just looked at the preview, and whoa, that art is loving weird.

I'm not even sure I'd call it 'bad', just because I don't think it has enough relation to any sequential art style I actually know enough to be the judge of quality. It's just... weird.

It's this almost impressionist painted style that just kinda comes across as really splotchy and messy and doesn't serve the material or medium at all.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Preordered the Classic Doctors, New Monsters set. This is the third time I've bought Big Finish stuff around release instead of just picking up bits and pieces on sale like I used to, guess the new series hook has really worked on me :sweatdrop:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

If it helps, the pre-order pricing is better than the price after release. Sometimes substantially so. I missed out on the preorder for Dark Eyes 1, which was $20/$25...now its $35.

Yeppers, definitely softens the blow a bit. Like, I see that River Song is up to $30 now, so I saved :10bux: there.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"And, I think I may have invented the sandwich..."
"You can't have! I invented the sandwich."

:v:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"I look like I was dressed by a committee formed in an internet chat room."

Peri and the Piscon Paradox is pretty ace.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

DoctorWhat posted:

You don't even know what you're in for.

Wow that got heavy at the end. I kind of figured something like that was going on with older Peri, but I didn't really expect them to lay it out that raw. Then to finish "gently caress it, all the different stories about what happened to Peri after Mind Warp are true" was great.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I watched Children of Earth over the weekend and didn't like it as much as I'd hoped or as much as other people seem to. The general idea was interesting but there's something about the way it was put together that just didn't work for me in a way I can't really articulate, which is a shame because between my love of BARROWMAN! :argh: and girlcrush on Eve Myles I really wanted to be able to actually like some Torchwood. It not being offensively bad like the earlier stuff is a plus I guess, and it was definitely a different look at Capaldi really only knowing him for playing the Doctor otherwise.

Though tbh it really kind of killed any interest I had in Jack returning to Doctor Who (either on telly or in Big Finish). The end with killing his grandson means I can't really see him as the same lovable rogue that his Doctor Who character is again, and realising that the "Ten hooks Jack up with the dude from the one with Kylie" from End of Time is meant to be a glib followup to that is kinda off.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

January is so far away :(

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Who was it who didn't want a BF sale? It's Sylvester McCoy's birthday, so BF are doing a sale on some of his stories all weekend!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/happy-birthday-doctor-who-sylvester-mccoy

Should I just buy all of these? People like the Hex stuff, right?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

more importantly it's 10 stories for $70 bucks (US dollars), including some recent ones. On CD, it came to $95 (shipping to the US).

Hell, it's more Doctor Who, what else could one ask for?

Well, can't argue with that. Especially since the way Big Finish price their Who downloads means it's only $45 Ausland Funbux (32 USD or 26 GBP in real money) for the nine of the lot I need (already have Protect and Survive, apparently) :v:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Came out to $50 USD for me, an actual USD user.

Yeah, I just meant that the way they do a flat [local currency units] for downloads means that what I end up paying with my worthless Australian Dollarydoos almost feels like a bit of a cheeky "discount" compared to if they actually charged me the 5 GBP or did an actual conversion to come up with an Australian price or whatever.

As opposed to CDs which are $10.32 AUD each for the sale items compared to the 6 GBP in the news article.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The daleks get defeated by a man with a jumper

But enough about Remembrance :v:

jivjov posted:

The Unbound Universe Bernice Summerfield thing came out today.

This is kind of awkward because the Warner Doctor stories are really good but I've not experienced any Bernie stuff so I don't know what to do.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

She's a time-travelling archaeologist, but probably not the one you were expecting.

So I just treat her as Unbound River and things will be fine :v:

e: okay, I've been and listened to the trailer and am tempted to eventually pick this up just on the strength of Warner and Gatiss. Too much Doctor Who! Fancy going back twenty years and telling some fans thirsty for anything at all that we would be complaining about too much Doctor Who.

Fil5000 posted:

Did Terry Nation make it compulsory to have the word Dalek in the title of any episode they were in? Frontier in Space is the only one I can think of that doesn't have it in there.

Apparently that wasn't on him.

quote:

Because Terry Nation had not written for the show since 1965, he initially believed individual episode titles were still being used — a practice which had actually been dropped after The Gunfighters. His scripts were thus titled "Destinus" (Nation's original name for Spiridon), "Mission Survival", "Pursued", Escape or Die", "The Day Before Eternity" and "Victory." (INFO: Planet of the Daleks)

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 25, 2016

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

Don't mind me, just taking the flimsiest excuse to post this!

http://i.imgur.com/WMCkkvx.gifv

:swoon:

I'm pretty sure I'd heard about Night being a McGann short but even then god that was still so good. Just that voice and then there he is :swoon:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

So I've now listened to the first two of the Early Adventures line

Speaking of which, the first series of this line is Big Finish's continued assault on my purse weekend deal. $6 download/$7.50 cd each or in a bundle for $20.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

Besides, it's only the First Doctor... who did he ever beat?

Mind he doesn't hear you talking about him like that, or you'll be in for a jolly good smacked bottom!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

:siren: Good News Everyone!

Power of the Daleks might be coming to DVD! In animated form.

https://whopix.wordpress.com/2016/08/22/power-of-the-daleks-animated/

The animation on the releases for other missing episodes was kinda naff but I still prefer it over the telesnap recons so I'd probably buy this if it's real. Though I suppose those releases were just filling in the gaps and still had the existing episodes while this would be the whole story so it might be a bit of naff animation overload.

Maybe I'll stick with my narrated soundtrack :shrug:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
And again the prophet jivjov speaks and blesses us with a bargain, this time on The Companion Chronicles range.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I picked up the rest of the Hartnell-era CCs I didn't have from that sale and decided I should probably finally go back to listen/watch through Daleks' Master Plan before I get up to the Sara Kingdom stuff and I think the Daleks sitting there staring at the experiment mice being all "SMALL WHITE CREA-TURES, COULD BE HOS-TILE" is my new favourite Dalek thing.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

Have you seen The Chase? There's a bit where the Daleks land on the Mary Celeste and are rolling around almost begging the terrified sailors to stop running away so they can please ask them some questions, as well as a bit where they run into some funhouse monsters (actually robots) and end up running away while insisting they're totally not scared at all, seriously! :3:

Hahaha, yes! I love the Frankenstein's Monster robot bodyslamming a Dalek.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The last episode of Daleks' Master Plan gave me another new favourite Dalek moment, with one muttering under its breath that they will still be following him after telling Chen that he is in control of the prisoners. We're like one step away from sassy Daleks at this point.

And yeah, Sara's exit certainly is something. I can't imagine how the show would have actually depicted that at the time (apart from "poorly and cheaply", natch), but the existing audio and Purves' narration certainly carry the impact.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Considering how many people here really love the classics, I'm surprised there aren't more people angry that the 50th largely focused on the new Doctors, especially considering Moffat's reasoning was "well, those dudes are *old* now."

Focusing on the newer Doctors and targeting the story around the Time War allowed for a tighter story that stands better on its own merits than something like Three and a Half Doctors and a Bloke in a Wig so I'm okay with it. That we had Light at the End and the incredible majesty that is Five-ish Doctors Reboot alongside it really kind of mitigates any complaints I could have about the 50th not including more classic elements.

At worst I could say that the surviving Doctor actors should have been brought in to do new audio recordings for the climactic sequence instead of just using archival stuff, and it would have been nice to see William Russell put in a cameo as Ian given that Coal Hill was brought back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
War Doc 3 has been pushed back to early October. Only a couple of weeks, but still ._.

• Locked thread