Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
All Twelve of them!

No sir, all TV-IV! :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

High Chancellor Flavia: DOCTOR! Where are you going with that Type 40 Time Capsule?
1st Doctor: YOU STUPID WOMAN! Can you not see..... we are eloping!?!

Doctor Who theme tune plays with accordion

HA-IL DAV-ROS!

HA-IL DAV-ROS!

'ROS!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

When I first watched the season, Sleep No More was by far my least favorite episode. I thought Zygon Invasion was bad, but Sleep No More was just utter poo poo.

Upon a rewatch, Sleep No More holds up a little better (it's still not good!) but holy poo poo Zygon Invasion has just gotten worse with each viewing. It's really, really terrible and I'm dreading whatever episode Peter Harness writes next. At least with Mark Gatiss Sleep No More is such an aberration and you can expect him to probably slide back into solid but unremarkable for the greater bulk of any episodes he writes.

What really damns Zygon Invasion (aside from being utterly awful and rascist at the worst possible time to pen such a script) is that it tries to rely on building up to its second half in Zygon Inversion like someone telling a rascist joke while going "no, wait, really, the punchline's great :v:" as everyone's telling them repeatedly to just stop it.

Sleep No More isn't a great episode, but I still like it for trying to do something clever. It didn't really land it in the end, but at least it tried.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

If Sleep No More HADN’T been a “found footage” episode, would it have worked better in your mind?

I dont think that's really the right question, as the entire episode is crafted from the premise rather than being merly shot in that style.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Note: the author seems to believe that The Zygon Inv(a/er)sion is pro-immigration

I... just.... what?

WHAT?! :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The problem with "The Hybrid", aside from all the others, is they already did the same story in season 5 with The Pandorica, and actually did it better there. (What descends on a world from out of nowhere to bring chaos and destruction to millions? The Doctor, stumbling on a group of Daleks/Cybermem/Sontarans/[Insert Species Here] by accident while they're executing a plan to benefit their own race).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

happyhippy posted:

Stupid basic question here.

Why is the rest of Gallifrey stupid morons?
Why don't they have the same super fast mind processing, actually able to gently caress with time easier than the Doctor, etc.

Why are the Doctor and the Master/Missy the only two who have above average IQs?

Its the same kind of question as "everyone has access to guns, why arent they shooting eachother?" It's a question of differing philosophies. The others are that smart, but they're insufferably arrogant and think non-interference is better so they dont gently caress history up.

Getting a set of regenerations out a pocket dimension and into The Doctor was no easy feat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

At Spitalfields market today.

Good dog :unsmith:

So how much did you pay for it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

It's a toss-up between 12 Monkeys and Fear & Loathing for me, but Brazil is wonderful too.

Who will bring down the Federation now? :ohdear:

Bad news on that front;

It's a document fact that the Federation survives right through to the end of the universe :smith:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Holly really knew what it was doing when it figured out Rimmer was the perfect person to keep Lister in such a heightened state of irritation that he'd forget about sinking into a funk over being the last human being in creation :allears:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, that's explicitly highlighted in "Kryten" when Lister says that driving Rimmer nuts is what keeps him going.

It's outright stated as much at least twice in the course of the show. And in the novels too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So the new season is going to about the Bill in a Police Box? :downsrim:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pinacotheca posted:

Hopefully we'll see other countries taking this one step further, i.e. basing their future designs on all the rubbish robot monsters the Dr Who production team had to come up with in the late '60s because Terry Nation wouldn't let them use the Daleks anymore.

Something with big silver-painted shoeboxes for arms (which only have limited up and down movements), maybe a solitary Christmas tree light bulb on its forehead that flashes when it's speaking, can't get through any doors on the set, has to be regularly helped back up onto their feet by the crew in strong winds etc.

It'll be fine so long as we keep it away from nuclear launch codes and metal-eating viruses.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

It blew my mind when I found out that the inspiration for the Neon Genesis Evangelion opening titles was Anderson's UFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZfeY8Vg0E

Gerry Anderson's stuff is really big in Japan. A couple of sci-fi anime series drew inspiration from things like Thunderbirds (I know there's a notable one that's openly stated as much, but I can't remember what it was at the moment), and Patlabor parodies Captain Scarlet for an episode.

The episode also features Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition. I am not making this up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

“Oh. Ok. Well, can I see Deadpool instead?”

Poor kid. You gotta negotiate down, not up :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Timby posted:

Given some of the stories that have gone around, it wouldn't exactly be the most shocking thing in the world to learn he has liver disease.

His liver will just regenerate. Shame about the colour, but what can you do?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

They asked Charles Dance and he sneered with contempt and replied,"You know it's my destiny to one day play the Master, a destiny I cannot escape, don't bother me with casting calls for the Doctor :mad:"

After they left Alan Rickman leaned over and said,"I am going to attempt to escape my destiny to play the Master, what's the worst that could happen?"

Charles Dance has a rightful destiny of continuing to be the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhyno posted:

Say what you will about it but Husbands of... has the brilliant scene with the Doctor reacting to the TARDIS the way he's wanted someone to react for the last two incarnations.

It's that little dawning moment of excitement as he realises for once it's his turn to do it :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaroff posted:

Hasn't Tom always been like this though? I seem to remember years ago him saying he has his tombstone as a coffee table or something...

I just assume that Death steers clear of Tom Baker at this point, because he's not quite sure what Tom will do if he tries to claim him...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chairman Mao posted:

Trail of a Timelord, that's the one where you cross Gallifrey in a covered wagon, right?

The Master has died of Dysentery. The Master has two regenerations left.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pesky Splinter posted:

Best exchange from The Two Masters;

Beevers Master: [...] I kill for power.
Macqueen Master: Kill joy, more like. Ya know, you used to be fun. Back when it was all "pointy-beards", and "Nehru jackets", what happened to that?
Beevers Master: You happened.
Macqueen Master: Am I really going to be stuck ruling the universe with you? Out of all my other incarnations, this!? This is the version I end up with!? Couldn't I have had "Mr Velveteen", or "the snake", or someone!?

Short review of the story; the interactions between the Masters is pretty great, the story is serviceable as an excuse to get them together, and the Doctor doesn't really do much (the focus is very much on the Masters).

Which Master was Mr Velveteen?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

Ugh, Frank 'Forest of the Night' Cottrell-Boyce is back writing an episode for S10.

Oh christ :cripes:. At least if they're taking a writer's room approach someone might be able to shout him down this time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Once is an accident. Twice is a pattern. Three times?

Kill the Moon was stupid, but the Zygon Invasion should've been enough to ensure he was never allowed near a script again. It's the most offensively tone-deaf hot-button of an episode of anything I've seen in a long while.

I swear Steven Moffat co-writing Inversion must have been him jumping in late in the game to try to un-gently caress that trainwreck of a story into something slightly tolerable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I like the part where Clara chooses to kill a couple dozen children.

Just a little different from Donna's "just save someone" speech, huh?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Aw, come on thread! Don’t be sour! We’re getting more Adric!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-adric-arrives-in-the-main-range

Don’t they just all look so happy together?

Maybe he'll finally learn if he was right :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't forget on the other end of the scale we had the Vulvoids Vervoids.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Just from watching the trailer you know his appearance is gonna be magical :munch:. Aside from the fact that it's Tom Baker of course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

One of my favorite Cracked articles is about the lengths people went to to protect famous spoilers as they were happening, and the first one on the list was that the absolute bare minimum of people on the crew were actually told about Darth Vader being Luke's father. On the day it was just Lucas, the director, and Mark Hamill, the latter of which was told just moments before shooting. The actual script had a fake line ("Obi-Wan killed your father"), and only James Earl Jones ever got the real one.

And as ridiculously impressive as that is, I can't help but feel like that wouldn't have happened at all if the movies were made at any point later on, because 'Darth Vader' is honestly not a tremendously clever way to hide the name 'Dark Father' and the internet at any point in its life would've cracked that open in the time it took me to write this sentence.

As an aside, my memory is saying that there was a similar story in recent Doctor Who years, with Matt Smith being the only one to be told a thing because if it leaked, everyone would know who leaked it. Am I imagining things?

They did a couple of similar things to hide big spoilers. I know they hid the tapes for one of the season finales by labelling them "Torchwood" before that show existed (it's also an anagram of "Doctor Who").

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mortanis posted:

Matt Smith also asked the crowd in New York to keep quiet about Jenna Coleman being in Asylum of the Daleks and everyone did.

Was there someone with him there at the time? Looking like... uh... poo poo, I can't recall...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tarquinn posted:

I guess they used Tennant's stunt double to create that miniature, huh? :v:

It says Rose Tyler, but that's clearly Jackie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

adhuin posted:

Were getting too fancy with these expectations.

In good old days some green bubble wrapper was all we needed. Or a toy tank.

If they don't make high-quality merchandise, the BBC prop department cant steal them to use in the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

:hellyeah:

Still one of my favorite moments, it's so well done. It helps that it follows on from that amazing sound-alike of Hartnell going,"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!"

The best part is that it's not a moment of joy for the Council, but one of fear and panic because oh poo poo there's THIRTEEN of him here! :stonk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well it's only fair, after all there was a script from The Ark in Space on display in the film

Wait, what? Where was it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh no, Vervoid larvae :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

My personal theory is that Torchwood was basically mothballed in the 60s/70s, and then revived in the 80s when Thatcher came across it. Torchwood as we saw it in Canary Wharf was all very 'for the Empire' which is a very Thatcherite position.

Thatcher putting money into a government branch and creating jobs? That's far too silly even for Doctor Who.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in Australia, JB HiFi currently has classic Doctor Who dvd's on special for about $12-15AU apiece AND 2-for-1. They also have the two and three-serial DVD sets for about $24AU apiece. Those are also 2-for-1.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cerv posted:

first time i've actually been drawn in a BBC ticket raffle, and work's declined my leave request 😭

any takers? they're named tickets so one of you should be a guy to avoid suspicion. otherwise calling tomorrow to return them
Oh look, you've come down with a cold on that day and can't leave bed :effort:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhyno posted:

Don't bother with the US version, despite Tennant it is decidedly not good.

Has there ever been a US adaptation of a UK series that didn't suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

Shameless.

Oh right, aside from a certain tv movie :cripes:.

• Locked thread