Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

This is the only thing that should be allowed to come before the start of any BBC home viewing media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8jf_93Lv8

ahhh, that's the stuff

ah man it's like being a kid all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And More posted:

I disagree with that interpretation of cause and effect. The Doctor makes the paradox possible, but Edith sustains it.

Well, now I'm intrigued. Let's say I only listen to Storm Warning, Chimes, Seasons of Fear and Neverland, would I be able to follow the season finale? Would Storm Warning help me appreciate Chimes more, or do I need to listen to the other ones in between?

That sort of attempt at subversion runs into the trap of emulating the thing it's criticising, though. A Clockwork Orange, for example, attempts to show how the aestheticisation of violence can be dangerously appealing. It does so by being better than any other film at aestheticising violence. I don't doubt that it could work if the entire season built on the premise, though.

I'd argue that it doesn't really matter much whether you give the culprit a proper introduction once they have been revealed. It's all about making the puzzle feel fair, even if it's impossible to solve in reality. Edith would have to show up once as Charley's servant before the reveal.

She did. Charley mentioned "We had an Edith that worked for us, too." when she first saw her name in the dust.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Hey; a lot of the old EU was really good!

"A lot" is strong language.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh poo poo, Alice Krige's in that third one! The Borg Queen!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's some spectacularly bad art.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well of course he has no interest in humans or aliens past, present or future, but Romana is a Time Lord.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've said it before but my big problem with Time of the Daleks is kind of a bad audio editing job, a lot of people sounded the same on first listen and I was never quite clear where everything is. There was certainly no impression given of the size of anywhere.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not that you're boasting or anything.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You've got to admit that Broadchurch hasn't had two entire years' worth of episodes disappear yet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If David Whitaker can figure out how to make me care about monsters in spacesuits without making one of them the love interest of the protagonist, then Moffat ought to be able to as well...

Hey, who turned out the lights?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He used regeneration energy to fix River's hand in The Angels Take Manhattan.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you're getting sad about season nine, you could always go back and watch Nine's season. It holds up a lot better when you have... this... to compare it to.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hey now you're the one who brought up re-reviews. Just watch it for your own enjoyment!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A planet called Syra with people who're in tune with nature and deadly volcanoes? Hmm.

Hmmmmm.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I had to look it up and I'm British born and bred. Apparently it's "a type of petty criminal who deals in illicit, typically black market, goods" so I dunno. Nine, just based on the dress sense?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But enough about RTD.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like Randy Savage.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It was like a signature or something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And that trick only worked once.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Probably watching David Tennant, Good Doctor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty happy about it too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought it might be the guy from Curse of Fatal Death.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's just that people are sick of This Character Is Important Because She Is The

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Very Watsonian.

*nods*

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

It blew my mind when I found out that the inspiration for the Neon Genesis Evangelion opening titles was Anderson's UFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZfeY8Vg0E

I don't see it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The curves are longer on the inside.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A few days ago I found Earthshock and Ghost Light on DVD in CEX. Watched them both through. I was expecting people's opinions of Adric to be a bit of an exaggeration but no, he was immediately annoying and never got any better than 'not actively irritating at this moment'. Other than the final scene I didn't think it was too great, even ignoring the awful EXCELLENT Cybermen it just sort of meandered around for a while and spent what felt like way too much time on the initial bomb plot. Maybe I was just watching it wrong. As for Ghost Light... the gently caress? It just leaps from one incongruous scene to the next, it makes complete sense if you take the plot as a whole but at no point do you ever understand what's going on or why. Weird poo poo shows up and everyone's just immediately super familiar with it, like when Light first appears and Ace just goes "it's an angel, stupid".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chairman Mao posted:

Ace is supposed to immediately recognize him as an angel though because Light appeared to prehistoric man and shaped their image of otherworldly beings. The idea isn't that Ace knows what he is, it's that his appearance is burned so deeply into our minds as angelic that she doesn't even have to think about it. She knows he's an angel.

Of course what Light really is, is a metaphor for creationism because Ghost Light is dripping with subtext.

This was not conveyed at all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well Nimrod was a Neanderthal, weren't they replaced by humans rather than being our ancestors?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Did you try 'alien spy' instead of 'Peri'?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That sounds like a lot of props, why'd they have to reuse them?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's the best example of whoever it is doing Hartnell that someone could listen to before buying an audio? Any of the ideally more recent trailers have a lot of him in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We don't like to talk about those people.

• Locked thread