Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Trin Tragula posted:

This is the only thing that should be allowed to come before the start of any BBC home viewing media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8jf_93Lv8

ahhh, that's the stuff

Oh, but what about this! I can't watch it without expecting "The Curse of Fenric" to follow immediately.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=83GUdnkvjxQ

And here's an even older one that those who lived through the dark days of tape trading will be familiar with:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4ftiByb6M

One of my greatest childhood finds was the original release of Spearhead From Space with the horrible photo cover and all the episode breaks removed - and that was on the front of it. This was in the days when Dr Who VHS tapes were still expensive enough that finding one for next to nothing at a junk sale was like mana from heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

CommonShore posted:

Just for fun thought experiment - middle-aged British or Irish actresses who own and who could carry the role in a fresh way?

I'd like to see Lesley Sharp as a female Doctor. I feel like she'd be more than capable and it would bring things nicely full circle, as she first came to prominence through working with Russell T Davies. Actually, thinking about it, she has already "played" the Doctor, in a way.

Ha, I just discovered she had an early film role acting opposite some Scottish bloke.. I'm starting to think Capaldi is the Kevin Bacon of British drama.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

IceAgeComing posted:

I still think that it would have struggled in that period even if someone else was in charge: the problem wasn't so much JNT but the fact that lots of the BBC execs didn't like Doctor Who and felt that it didn't match with what they were trying to do at the time

It was definitely the case that JNT desperately wanted to move on, but BBC 1 controller Jonathan Powell wouldn't replace him because he didn't want him on any other shows, hoping he would run the series into the ground and give them an excuse to axe it.

JNT might have made some poor choices in his time on Dr Who, but let's not forget Powell's idea of quality TV was loving Eldorado. Funny how he didn't stay long at the BBC after that.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I remember everyone having a theory as to who it was. Davros, another Time Lord, Adam Mitchell (somehow), the Dalek we saw in 'Dalek' (apparently it time travelled again, not exploded).

I remember the production team did their best to stoke up speculation about the Bad Wolf by setting up a fake website of fan theories, dropping tantalising hints that it could be Sutekh or Fenric or something else, and there was even a picture of Adam looking spooky. They knew exactly what they were doing.

I miss that they don't do that kind of thing any more, having specific web pages for every episode with clues and easter eggs and so on. It was like they were going that extra effort to make the show feel like more of an event.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

GonSmithe posted:

Lmao Stephen Dillane as the Doctor, yeah right

It kind of tickles me that both Stannis and Sir Davos were considered for the part.

I'm surprised Neil Morrissey made the consideration list. A good actor, but not at all Doctorish. His old co-star Martin Clunes might've worked. He'd even been on the show before!

• Locked thread