Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Post of the century right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm finding conflicting information from google news searches - is Netflix dropping Doctor Who or not?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zaroff posted:

Apparently it is leaving Netflix US this time. At the same time however it is remaining on Netflix UK and Netflix Canada...

No problem then :smug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cargohills posted:

If the 13th Doctor isn't a woman I'll be very surprised. I don't think Missy and the General were introduced for no reason.

This got me speculating as to what actresses could do it. Billie Piper was actually the first name that made me go "hm!" though that could be a disaster too. But the "reused face" thing has already been set up with Capaldi, right?

Just for fun thought experiment - middle-aged British or Irish actresses who own and who could carry the role in a fresh way?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know what would constitute a fresh approach to the role. How about Emilia Fox? Katie McGrath if you want someone younger?

Ruth Wilson? Anna Friel? Keeley Hawes? Hermione Norris?

By fresh I just mean adding an interesting new personality somehow. I can only think of things that don't seem interesting to me - Like, Lena Heady came to mind, but I think that "milf gravitas" doesn't really suit the show. I also know that I'd roll my eyes if a 22 year old woman was cast as the girly girl doctor, but I wouldn't object to any good actress between 30 and 60 being cast as 13.

e. I know who Anna Friel is. She was good on Pushing Daisies. I had no idea that she was English.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, I was just throwing out names of actresses who have had lead roles in dramas in the past decade or so.

Laura Fraser?

Yeah I'm just on the spitballing end of things too. I'm not good at "thinking up actresses who won't do a Maggie Smith impression as the doctor," so I'm just trying to start a conversation to see if any of you smarter people with better pop cultural recall than me have any cool ideas of your own. Laura Fraser was good in the things I've seen her in, too.

Man Doctor Who talk in 2016 is going to be rough :qq:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

My thinking is that, since they'd be casting the first female Doctor, they wouldn't necessarily want a complete unknown. They'd want to cast someone who's well-established as an actor with a profile that can allay whatever fears the top brass at the Beeb may have. That's why I tossed out those particular names.

I suppose Jenny Agutter and Joanna Lumley are too old. :shrug:

My only real instinct on this is that it would be a great opportunity to give a middle-aged or older actress a high-profile leading role, seeing as there has been quite a bit of discussion about that casting problem generally. I guess if an actress who is 71 when the role begins is up to doing it, and she's good, that'd be cool.

Joanna Lumley would certainly bring something different to the series, that's for sure. I can't even imagine how that would turn out. I'm envisioning her character from Absolutely Fabulous driving the Tardis around with a cigarette in her hand and empty gin bottles everywhere.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trin Tragula posted:

If she were physically able (in 2017 she'll be 60), I'd cast Kathryn Hunter in a heartbeat, the only actor I can think of whose voice could have the same impact on today's audience that Tom Baker's did in the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4U78RwmXdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jwj7IwOHqI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nAi_QYsWmk

I enjoy going to see her on stage in large part because it's always fun watching the reactions of people who've never seen her before; this tiny five-foot-nothing woman appears, and then this voice rumbles out and knocks half the audience into next week.

Yeah. She rules. She's the exact kind of thing I had in mind when I meant "Fresh," but I didn't realize that until I saw her. I bet she'd be a great lady doctor. I'm watching this other short, and it seems cool too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVWNpJg5XLk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

If 13's going to be female and I absolutely think they've been pushing it that way for a while (Clara as the Doctor's stand-in, Missy, the General), I really hope it's after Moffat's gone because IIRC the man has got some major league issues writing female characters.

On the other hand I dread them making a Doctor defined mostly on her sex appeal, which is what happens with a lot of female action leads. Sigh.

Which is why I was eliciting names of actresses who were at least 30 years old. Many cool suggestions in this thread. A 22 year-old girlie girl in a crop top as the doctor would be basically unwatchable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't have time to listen - can you supply any interesting hilights?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm on The Sea Devils in my run forward through classic doctor and I think I've figured out how to write a third doctor episode:

Doctor: This is a problem
Brigadier: Don't worry We'll take care of it
Doctor: The army is dumb.
Jo/Liz: Can I help?
Doctor: No, because Technobabble

Karate karate karate; it was the Master all along.

(Loving it.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just read Jon Pertwee's wikipedia page to see if he had any judo training (a question prompted by the weird black space fight in The Three Doctors). I am delighted to learn that he's part of the Ian Flemming / Roald Dahl crazy badass WWII super spy crew.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I do kinda like that sort of thing. I should track all of these things down.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just finished Planet of the Spiders and moved on to Robot.

I'll miss Pertwee - I feel like his run got stronger as it went. Towards his last season/series his performance started to suggest that he was a pretty significant influence for Matt Smith's interpretation, beyond the ties, even.

And you guys weren't kidding about the chase scenes. I want to see that 25 part horse chase with his mate Roger, now that I have seen the helicopter/hovercraft/hovercraft/helicopter/speedboat/hovercraft chase.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Burkion posted:

I wonder how much longer Pertwee would have gone, should Roger Delgado have never died.

Hm first I read about that. Sad poo poo. According to their wikipedia articles, there had been a planned story to wrap up both Third Doc's and The Master's storylines, The Final Game. Did that story ever get put down anywhere?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

IceAgeComing posted:

but they've both explicitly been the same show since the start? certainly since "school reunion", which I think is one of the best episodes of New Who and - I was still a kid at the time (13 or 14 I think) but I thought that it was cool that they were bringing back people who'd been in the original show, although I probably cared more about K9 than Sarah Jane since i liked the idea of the Doctor having a robot dog as a pet.

I do think that they handled the return of Doctor Who very well in that they took the chance to drop lots of the cruft that Doctor Who had picked up over the years and in a way started from the beginning - there was an element of mystery about the whole time war thing that they had to remove at some point - they milked it for ten years and it was a perfect thing to talk about for the fiftieth anniversary. The 1996 film and the original plan for the BBC/Fox series show just how badly a reboot could have gone: they tried to make things more complicated than "The Doctor is a timelord who regenerates who's generally a cool dude. He travels from time and space in a London police box, usually with a companion who is almost always a human women." They had a load of nonsense about Gallifrey and the Doctor's family which was terrible: most Doctor Who things involving Gallifrey aren't that good for various reasons.

Galifrey Time War episodes are bad for the same reason that every single story about Angels and Demons and God and the Devil and The Apocalypse is cheesy and bad: to put something infinite and sublime (an endless war between nigh-omnipotent beings taking places across all of time and space) like that on page or on screen necessarily reduces to stupid melodrama.

This poo poo is always way cooler when it happens in the negative space and is explored through others' reactions to it. The 50th was almost perfect in how it handled it, in fact, by showing a few glimpses of action and then moving the focus away.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Except it shouldn't have shown any action :colbert:

Full on Lovecraftian "We can't even describe the things that are happening" or nothing!

I didn't mind the way that they introduced War Doctor by showing him ambiguously running through some ruins and shooting a big gunny blastery thing a bit. It was just a way of establishing the setting and introducing the character. Much preferable to showing super gigantic fleets of dalek ships and super uber powerful time lord armies facing down ad infinitum. It's not as if what we got wasn't the already-known elements.

Though admittedly I've watched about oh... 500 episodes of Doctor Who for the first time since I last watched the 50th. Yes, the 50th was my entry point for the show, and I haven't revisited it, so I guess my interpretation is the "viewer who has no idea what's going on" version. Even I just needed a one-sentence explanation from my friend.

But yes - Lovecraftian is exactly what I'm talking about. There was a ton of stupid crap that they could have emphasized which they, thankfully, didn't.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You guys write good reviews. Is there any centrallized platform for your reviews anywhere so I can read and make reference to them as I watch episodes?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm boycotting Chibnall until 2018, or maybe December 2017 at the earliest.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In watching The Deadly Assassin, shortly after reading your review, I realized that there's some symmetry between the Dalek Forever Skaro Sewer Angry Goop and the Time Lord Memories Spoooky Room Machine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Web Planet is a loving weird story

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know. I heard for ages how bad "The Web Planet" was, but then I went and watched it and ended up quite enjoying it.

I didn't say "bad." I said "weird." So much of it is "blee bloo blee bloo!" And weird actors in weird costumes doing weird things.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

Eh, I guess I'll stay home and watch Tomb of the Cybermen for the first time.

I find it disturbing that there are eps I've seen which thread regulars haven't.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been working through Who from front to back. Right now I'm on "The Talons of Weng-Chiang." So my viewing hole is anything after that up to Eccleston. I was also not in the mood to watch recons after I finished Hartnell, so I skipped quite a bit of the Second Doctor before moving into Pertwee.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tom Baker is the new companion.

Source: lies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I rewatched Time Heist this weekend. It was enjoyable but it wasn't as good as I remember it the first time. Is there any reason that tehy couldn't have just TARDISed the whole thing?

FWIW I wasn't following the thread when I first watched it, so I don't know what I'm supposed to think about it. And I have a soft spot for convoluted stories about memory and stories in which The Doctor solves problems by Bill and Tedding them away.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've resolved to use the SPINK video in my teaching somehow. Now I just need to decide for what.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah the "Bad Wolf" thing left me a bit :confused: at first. I was like, "did I miss something? That was it?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

pgroce posted:

And now it's A Thing You Do. I hope they start moving away from that, though; the story arcs run from superfluous to disappointing. Just do stories and have the stories affect the characters. (Or even not affect the characters. I love my favorite Doctor Who episodes for what happens in the weekly story, not what it does to the Doctor or companions. But I appreciate that I maybe unusual in that way.)

nope. :agreed:

I often tell people that Doctor Who is at its strongest when it embraces its strength of being a platform for sci-fi shorts with the ability to investigate literally any premise in any setting, and it's at its worst when it tries to set up a consistent and persistent universe in which the Doctor has continuous adventures and ongoing problems (i.e. when it tries to be Star Trek).

And likewise, I say that Star Trek is at its strongest when it works on exploring different subdivisions of the same persistent universe and the ongoing tensions between the various factions, and it's at its worst when it tries to investigate literally any premise in any random setting via the holodeck (i.e. when it tries to be Doctor Who).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After The War posted:

The only Star Trek that was like consistently that was DS9 (along with a few scattered TNGs). The majority of the franchise is a different place and idea each week, especially in Gangster World/Roman World/Native American World/Nazi World/etc TOS.

I still feel the ideal balance would be like X-Files in it's first three seasons: our familiar characters go somewhere new each week, with the possibility of exploring little subgenres, and a Very Few Stories building off each other into an ongoing plot.

Spinoffs can totally deal with the ramifications of living in that universe, of course - Gallifrey being my go-to example as always.

Yes, but this is at best/at worst, mind you. In Star Trek, even beyond DS9, all of those worlds are set in the 24th (or whatever) century, in a place with the United Federation of Planets and such, with a wide array of consistent conditions, and history, and if they want Robin Hood or knights or cavemen or whatever, they need to really stretch the show's premise to its limits.

Doctor Who's only real constant is Doctor + TARDIS, and the series has tons of internal mechanisms for reboots, retcons, and rewriting which (hypothetically) can allow it to discard legacy continuity in favour of freshness. If you want cavemen? Cool. Cavemen. Do you want something that happened in a past episode to not matter anymore? Cool. Time travel. But if you want to be dealing with the same political organizations and gangs and groups and things, then the show needs to forget that it's about loving time travel.

So as an example, think about what Star Trek has to do to get a WW2+future tech story into the show. There was that godawful Voyager 2-parter with the whatever invadey hunter guys where they took over the ship and used the holodeck to put the characters into some stupid "investigating earth man history" scenario. Then compare it to Doctor Who: we get the London Blitz two parter. Want future tech? Add another time traveler. Doesn't seem stupid because that's what the show is about.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

vegetables posted:

It's fun to use DeepArt to create pictures of the Doctor from throughout history:

Also, I think Pertwee and Capaldi were/are the only bad Doctors, but may be alone in this.

Pertwee gave us a chase scene episode that included two separate hovercrafts. And a different episode with another two chase scenes, one of which involved a different kind of hovercraft. He rules.

e. And Capaldi is cool too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I sat down to read the Bernard Bale biography of Jon Pertwee and it was so badly written as to be unreadable. Worst $0.50 I ever spent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked the new companion preview short.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Many of the season 15-16 Tom Baker stories just felt merely "Ok" to me. They had their moments, and they were sufficiently entertaining, but they weren't perfect - "The Sun Makers" and "Underworld," for example

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had honestly purged that episode from my memory. I was following the discussion and going "when the poo poo was this?" and it wasn't until the solar flares and worldwide forest fairy poo poo posts on this page that I even remembered watching it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like Leela. Her stories make especially for great glib summaries: "In this one the doctor is travelling with Leela, a space barbarian from the future who just stabs all of her problems away, and K9, a robot dog with impeccable manners and a laser gun for a nose. In this episode they...."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:confuoot:

e. "gamers," as a consumer demographic, represents a group which requires some kind of advocacy? :wtc:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I am shocked that there would be any conservative fans of a show that has recently had episodes about how abortion is evil, medication for mental illness is wrong, and immigrants are secret ISIS agents trying to overthrow us.

That's not the baffling part - it's the weird imposition of the "causes" on each doctor, and the general shittiness of the entire image. The font changes on the right hand side - it's as if they ran out of causes, left it blank, and then some subsequent troglodyte decided to finish it so that it could be about ethics in video game journalism.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

I had a dream last night, and I can’t decide if it was beautiful or disturbing.

Three words.

Carry On TARDIS.

Sid James was the Doctor and Kenneth Williams was the Cyber Controller.

This thread goes to weird places during the off-season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm watching Broadchurch to get a feeling for what this Chibnall guy is about.

1) This show is good so far, 6 episodes into the first series.

2) Where I can see it running into trouble will be with longer-story continuity, which in my ideal world won't be a problem with Doctor Who.

3) I'm ready for more episodes of Doctor Who.

e. after making this post I started to imagine Doctor Who with long montages of people being sad and now I'm a bit more cautious than 3 bullet points ago.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 24, 2016

• Locked thread