Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rhyno posted:

Timelash rules.

It is very, very silly. And also Paul Darrow was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Progress is being made

(Not shown: lots of old stuff that's at my mum's house, including stuff like the Discontinuity Guide, New Adventures, that Trial of a Time Lord TARDIS tin, production guides etc)

Got one of these? http://www.wonderfulbook.co.uk/wb1965.html

IMO, every Classic Who fan should read it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Midnight is good and I don't like it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Yeah, it probably is structurally less like Classic Stylee than it has a handful of old school tropes in it under the New Show wrapper. There are a number of bits that probably wouldn't have flown for various reasons back in the 60s-80s, but a lot still reminds me of those times. How much of that was created in the writing or production levels I won't hazard to guess.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Perhaps the new enforced hiatus is an extended search for Capaldi's 2018 replacement now that their original plans with Bowie/Rickman have fallen through. Time for Elba, Grint, or Moran to step up, I suppose.

edit: Saunders/Lumley?

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 23, 2016

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

saucerman posted:

I look forward to him just appearing inside the TARDIS out of nowhere.

I suspect that is an ability that Ra's, Jack Harkness and the actor John Barrowman all share, given that a suitably grand dramatic entrance is available.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

She was even already in Tennant's "The Long Game" episode with Simon Pegg! And the subtext for her wanting that face of course would be putting vaginas in the heads of all the annoying dork fans like her character did to Adam. It all works out.

...And she can rescue Manny from that dreadful Narnia Christmas special and Bernard can come by and drink all the wine and she can listen to the Fisher King do the shipping reports on the radio and it will be just like in my Doctor Who/Black Books fanfic...

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
If we're blue-skying talent, how about Cate Blanchett? Great actor, solid nerd cred, beautiful and chock a block full of gravitas. Unless Aussies don't count. She lives somewhere in Sussex now, though, so that should be good.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

twistedmentat posted:

I guess that could be a problem. I was actually expecting at the end for it to be revealed as a disguise.

On a completely unrelated topic, there is precisely one thing about Time-Flight that is absolutely awesome.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I can understand how this season can come off like a pretty long bummer of an experience. Capaldi's coming to grips with a list of bad options and miseries at every turn and Clara drifts in and out of character and plot importance. There's just not a lot of story uppers around. Pacing and editing problems I want to attribute to a burning-out Moffatt team, but I find myself looking past that and occasional plot holes for the pure Whoness of 12.

In its defense, I think about half of this season makes for some pretty solid to quite good Who when viewed holistically with the full run of the show. And if you can view part one of the Zygon story and Attack of the Eyeboogers to be low-quality outliers (say, on par with of a couple of unnamed Tennant stinkers), it compares pretty well with most other seasons.

Like, go back through this (TITLE SPOILERS, TOXX)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials -and even if you just do the Modern Era Doctors I would happily drop about a third of most seasons. Admittedly I might like Apprentice/Familiar and Lake/Flood a bit more than this thread, but if you can include the two Christmas specials like Wikipedia does this is as good a season as any since the magical series 5. Capaldi and Clara aren't Tennant and Donna or Smith/Amy/Rory by any stretch, but I'm still mostly down with what the show's been doing.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

CobiWann posted:

Ok, why the hell wasn't I informed about how awesome Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines are?!?

They rule pretty drat hard. I'm legit sorry you didn't know before now. That is but one of the reasons losing Troughton episodes is such a tragedy.

I mean they're so fun you can almost see the original show through the recon slides.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

The_Doctor posted:

No-one remembers Tiger Woods having to apologise for saying he 'played like a spaz'?

Back in 2014 Weird Al had to apologize for using the word spastic in his Robin Thicke/Pharrell/T.I. parody "Word Crimes". It was a minor scandal for music comedy nerds.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Toxxupation posted:

so guys i finished series nine and the xmas special

woof. woof.

Hooray! :toot: I am unironically proud that a non-Who-fan could swallow the entire [modern] show, and with in-depth reports no less.

You made it through the tedium and mediocrity, the plotholes and bad effects, the insane dialogue and melodrama, and still found a bit of the joy so many of us eke out of this very silly, very serious "family" genre tv programme.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Random Stranger posted:

No, no. Star Hustler comes after Blake's 7 and right before the sign off.

Then when do they air Red Dwarf reruns? Ludicrous! This timeline is all messed up.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Brave heart, friends. This is not the first time Roj Blake has seemed to leave us and yet returned.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

I've seen this before and had forgotten how spot-on the casting and costuming were. I can just fall in love with Mark Heap and Mackenzie Crook all over again...

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

CobiWann posted:

Look, don't ask questions, but I need to borrow the TARDIS and go back in time to the First Avenue Nighclub in 1984 to see a certain performer, and then find out which villain is making 2016 suck so much.

When did this anglophilia thread become so interested in the royals?

RIP in pacem, P.R.N., purple be thy name

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

pinacotheca posted:

Yes! Subject to an extensive recall the following year after it turns out they all keep falling in love with plucky female journalists.

That's just a feature with Sarah Jane Smiths in general. Nothing is going to protect against that.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rochallor posted:

Delta and the Bannerman is a pretty average serial for me, but I'm well aware I'm the only person that even kind of likes it. Dragonfire, too, maybe.

Hey, rule one of Doctor Who fandom always applies. For example I still think it's a goofy fairy tale fun time for the most part. It's all about a alien space-princess near-teen romance in a no-budget nowhere Welsh tourist trap, and there's an awkward proto-Ace, cheesy re-recorded 50's pop songs, and Roger Rabbit's Marvin Acme is an American "agent" of some sort. The whole thing is a puff pastry.

But all I can ever remember from Dragonfire is Ace's arrival and . Not even Sabalom Glitz's return made much of an impression.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Burkion posted:

Oh please mean he's not going to do most of the writing pretty please

Perhaps Chibnall has become aware that his solo scripts have been not particularly well-received. Showrunning seems to have lead to less attention to his writing for Moffatt, so we can only hope that more writers looking over Chib's episodes means there will be no more 42s or Hungry Earths.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

The_Doctor posted:

For those wondering what Rusty's been up to, he's directed a GoT-inspired adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream for the BBC that sounds fascinating.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016...-who-generation

"...Davies certainly runs with his vision of a play he has clearly loved ever since he was a young boy playing Bottom in a school production, and it makes sense."

RTD really has a gift for making subtext into text.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

CobiWann posted:

"Of course, when we cloned Robert Delgado he came out of the vat cackling that it was all part of his plan."

It is. :tinfoil: If we don't have a Pertwee to show up in that century we humans will have no chance.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Jerusalem posted:

If Lucas had included him in the prequels he probably would have called him Darth Curse or Darth Evilman.

I'll have you know Darth Antagonis has a rich backstory in the Extended Universe novels.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

TinTower posted:

It's a better name than "Sheev".

Or "Dooku". Poor Christopher Lee.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rusty's back on scriptwriting and preproduction has begun already?
Alternatively and even less tastefully: Guess who's looking to grab some nuts?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

qntm posted:

• Scottish independence likely to happen almost immediately

Jamie and Amy gonna rock that vote hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Astroman posted:

"The Landlord"--sounds like a renegade Time Lord to me! :v:

We already learned how to defeat the Lanyard back in Trial...

Pesky Splinter posted:

Eric Roberts is getting drezzed for HD.

source

That's fantastic!

• Locked thread