Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
No Evil of the Daleks no vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Progress is being made

(Not shown: lots of old stuff that's at my mum's house, including stuff like the Discontinuity Guide, New Adventures, that Trial of a Time Lord TARDIS tin, production guides etc)

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm 6 feet tall, I'm just lithe

As a brick shithouse 6'7 I laugh at your twinkiness

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

FreezingInferno posted:

Holy poo poo, About Time Vol. 3 seems a lot thicker than the other volumes. I don't have a copy of that one yet but I wonder why that is.

2nd ed, Tat Wood inserted a lot more stuff

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does the spine of "The Silurians" ever bother you? :v:

Yes. But then the spines are all over the place anyway

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I mean look at this line of BBC logos, look at it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tomtrek posted:

All of the DVD releases since the BBC changed their logo (from just the white letters to the current purple one) have double-sided covers, with the other side having the old logo so the spines match up!

[Vince McMahon reaction gif]

Rhyno posted:

You've just ruined Christmas.

CHRISTMAS IS SAVED

[edit]

AND SLIGHTLY OUT OF FOCUS

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The SciFi society I'm on the email list for has sent out its first schedule of term. There's two Judge Dredd based things (including the excellent Dredd) and... episode one of The Curse of Peladon. Double u tee eff

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And More posted:

My collection lines up beautifully:

:smug:

I don't see a proper collection, all I see is revival episodes :smugdog:

vvv This but the other way around

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 17, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

EDIT: I'm not starting this poo poo again.

Good, this is probably the least controversial page in thread history.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

pgroce posted:

Can I ask a practical, kind of boring technical question? I'm in the US. I just finished digitizing my Doctor Who collection, and I want to fill in the gaps by buying UK DVDs. (Likely a lot of them.) The current plan is to buy a second DVD drive and set it to Region 2 permanently, but with all the region-free DVD players I'm seeing on Amazon and elsewhere, it seems silly to me that I can't get hold of a region-free PC DVD player, and outside of the Doctor Who DVDs (which, as I said, will probably be quite a few, but I'll be ripping them to the network), I won't have much use for a Region 2 DVD player.

Back in the day DVD region protection was sorted out at a software level (RPC-1), which is why programs like MPC could easily get round it. More recently (viz: the last decade or so, realistically) the encoding has been done in hardware (RPC-2) and it's thus much more difficult to get around.

A second drive will cost you a tenner, so it's not the end of the world.

pgroce posted:

So sad that she got shuffled off after one season.

She was going to leave anyway, she was having a baby and didn't want to continue with the workload

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

it's set across two completely different time periods and places at once which both interact with each other.

[quote="Trin Tragula" post="455205127"]I can't remember off the top of my head Classic Who doing that in that way; even in a story like Earthshock where it switches halfway through from future Earth to the spaceship, when the Doctor moves, the entire plot and all the characters go with him and there's nothing left behind on Earth to interact with.

The Keys of Marinus :v:

I wouldn't say the two time periods interact that much in Under the Lake, and there are plenty of stories where the Doctor and the companion(s) are severely separated; Inferno is the most hyperbolic example, barring Keys's Doc Holiday.

DoctorWhat posted:

That's about right, yeah. No stories were less than 2 installments to my recollection.

Mission to the Unknown :v:

Burkion posted:

More than six is actually really rare, I can't think of any more than two examples.

Off the top of my head,

The Daleks
Marco Polo
The Daleks Master Plan
Evil of the Daleks
The Invasion
The War Games
Doctor Who and the Silurians
The Ambassadors of Death
Inferno

Try harder! If anything, being more than six episodes long is the sign of a classic. Certainly the best hit rate of any arbitrary criterion I can think of (assuming I haven't forgotten any stinkers (Trial doesn't count))

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Most of those are actually 7 parters! (The Invasion and the two you mentioned are the ones that aren't)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

Doctor: 'Ohhhh it's not fair.' Oh! I didn't realize that, that it's not 'fair'!

Edit: yeah, just re-watched most of it. It's good. Haters are wrong.

Nope, it's only good if you think that sociopolitical/economic factors don't cause terrorism which is just empirically incorrect.

It's a terrible piece of political analysis performed well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

I don't think the speech itself, or the dialogue in that scene, implies that. Its aim is not the erasure of those sociopolitical/economic factors, but to take the piss out of the rhetoric that ends up surrounding them.

The Doctor explicitly says that they're acting like children because life isn't fair, which is either incredibly hypocritical or more fundamentally a rejection of the character's core morality. If the Doctor arrived in Truth Or Consequences just after the first Zygon was killed by humans and the rest of the story is about him trying to help the Zygons to be allowed to live more freely that would be a completely bog standard story premise (eg The Daleks, The Krotons, The Mutants, State of Decay, Frontios, Vengeance on Varos, The Happiness Patrol).

UNIT's (and the other Zygons') role is whitewashed, both in-universe and in a textual analysis kind of way, the latter by having Kate being the first one to back down. Having Sexy Zygon be the first one to back down would have been a much better conclusion to the episode imo, and would have backed up the "everyone apart from Sexy Zygon gets their memories erased" ending much more strongly. It wouldn't have erased the fundamentally sinister (sub)text of the first episode but it would have been something superior to what we got at least.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

Yeah, one is way out of proportion to the other, but the correct response to neither of them -- or to any other random fact you want to draw up -- is a planet-wide war or genocide. Pushing the magic war button won't actually solve any of the issues: "You... just want cruelty to beget cruelty; you are not superior to the people who were cruel to you; you're just a bunch of new cruel people." The Zygons' grievances are real -- they did put up with cruelty -- but war/genocide is not a valid response.

Genocide is obviously Taking Things A Little Bit Too Far, but basically all social progress has been achieved through violence or the threat of violence (mainly in real life, but also in Doctor Who), because god knows that the powerful tend not to give up their power willingly. Fundamentally rejecting violence is an inherently conservative and privileged position because it ignores the consequences of systematic violence.

As Mark Twain said,

quote:

"There were two 'Reigns of Terror', if we could but remember and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passions, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon a thousand persons, the other upon a hundred million; but our shudders are all for the "horrors of the... momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty and heartbreak? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief terror that we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror - that unspeakable bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves."

(Three Reigns of Terror if we count serial H)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That may be my favourite quote ever apart from the story from Tomb of the Cybermen about Patrick Troughton's penis

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

You realize, I hope, that you just can't leave it at that.

I cannot remember for the life of me the source of this (it may be on the Tomb DVD, which I don't own but my former housemate does so I can't check*), but they're filming a scene where Jamie and the Doctor are being held captive in that main area that has the table in the middle of it. The director is trying to set up the shot (Troughton in the background, Hines in the foreground near the table) and he keeps on bringing Hines more and more forward.

Hines gets annoyed at this and announces "I can't go any further, my todger's on the table".

From eight feet away, Troughton: "So's mine."

*My amazon wishlist is:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

Even though the Zygons claim ill-usage, the conflict seems to me less a revolution of the oppressed or an underclass*, and more as two relatively equal powers threatening to go to war yet again

Remember it's only a small subset of the zygons, although the first episode doesn't really get that point across at all.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh my, that's a lot of posts. Who's said something controversial I wonder if anyone bought me a BRCT for my Zygon posts oh god

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And More posted:

I find the first seven episodes of series one completely unwatchable. The second half is okay, but Rose drags the finale down with her.

Counterpoint: Aliens of London is great

Trin Tragula posted:

Every time this comes up I get sad that he chose to pattern NewWho after Dark Season instead of after Century Falls.

:agreed:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Once you get past the fundamental awfulness of course

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

When was the last time you screwed all night? When was the last time you came so hard and so long you forgot where you are?

OF DEATH

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, this is a win win situation.

Either the series under the new showrunner will be surprisingly good, or everyone who has been screaming for 'awful' Moffat to leave will be wishing for him to return real soon. I enjoy schadenfreude.

Actually, probably both of those things will happen.

Or neither, or something else

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

A non doctor who fan knows what Torchwood is?

In the UK, yes certainly

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

You two are the Peter Harness two-parter of people.

But neither are incredibly racist?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

FreezingInferno posted:

No no, all three parts of Survival are on the one DVD, see. :rolleyes:

Also it's part 3 of the Ace trilogy :reject:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Keys of Marinus was done on a tiny budget and written at extremely short notice because the previous script fell through.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I laughed too much at this. My wife wanted an explanation, and I just didn't know how to explain it.

"It's a quote from early Doctor Who, and it applies here because The Rapture is both a terrible story and almost deliberately insulting to any concept of taste"?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

So is there any way to stream Classic Who in Australia? I want to take the opportunity of a New Who-less year to watch a bunch of the classic serials that I've never seen (so, all of them). I'm not sure what approach I'll take for it, probably 'watch a Doctor until I'm bored with that Doctor, then move on', but I'd have to know where to see it first.

They're all on Dailymotion, last time I checked.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I liked Transformers when I was younger if that counts, and I did also like Doctor Who at the time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gen 1 biatches

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

really Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye is a good comic to read if you like Nu Who and has even made several references to it.

Fil5000 posted:

MTME has Optimus Prime quoting Tony Benn. I would love it for that alone.

So I guess the quality is highly variable?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

David Cameron (!)

That's only in the Target book, in the TV programme he was called David Campbell

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Susan was painted in such broad strokes it's not like you're getting a character from The Wire turning up and expecting everyone to know everything about D'angelo Barksdale, say. Sarah Jane had infinitely more to her but that was handled ok, and even lead to a spinoff.

Admittedly she was there for more reason than "Let's stick in some fan service", that story was about Rose more than anything else.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Counterpoint: McGann isn't really a "classic" doctor :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

"Timewar: I ain't gotta explain poo poo"

Yeah, that's the point of it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

David Bowie Alan Rickman Christopher Lee Ron Moody Roger Lloyd-Pack Richard Attenborough Rik Mayall

Uh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Wonder what will happen first. The Doctor being Not White but a man or the Doctor being a woman.

At least neither happened with Troughton in the role

CommonShore posted:

This got me speculating as to what actresses could do it. Billie Piper was actually the first name that made me go "hm!" though that could be a disaster too. But the "reused face" thing has already been set up with Capaldi, right?

Also Colin Baker :v:

CommonShore posted:

Just for fun thought experiment - middle-aged British or Irish actresses who own and who could carry the role in a fresh way?

Michelle Gomez :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rowan Atkinson was interviewed back when it was supposed to be an American TV reboot, with the Master and the Doctor brothers and the Doctor leaving Gallifrey to try and find their father, the Master having become Lord President. Also Borusa was their grandfather, and Borusa's spirit was trapped in the TARDIS in a sort of Zordon sort of way I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whoa, someone adapted Neverwhere? Is it worth watching?

The book is an adaptation of the TV series :eng101:

• Locked thread