Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Toxxupation posted:

hmm, what does the guy who wrote the shakespeare code think about other people

https://twitter.com/OldRoberts953/status/707586686176370688

k cool opinion guy who wrote planet of the dead

what on earth is this referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

#thetriggering is a current hashtag making the rounds on twitter for people to "Talk real" to "SJWs"

what it really is is a way for racists, sexists, transphobic people to say their horrible opinions and hide behind the paper-thin defense of "shutting down the essjaydubs"

like, here's common examples of the great opinions of #thetriggering

https://twitter.com/jwoulfsholokhov/status/707701979816919040

https://twitter.com/TrumpHat/status/707692708249387010

https://twitter.com/tassostsl/status/707690979088863232

anyways, the guy who wrote the unicorn and the wasp is basically saying a meme about how people who call themselves gay, trans, etc aren't "identifying" as anything, they're utilizing labelization in substitution of a personality

basically he's decidin to dunk on the marginalized but in the most passive-aggressive and pissant way possible

So glad I asked

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

it has aged pretty horribly in terms of its visual look

hi this is the doctor who thread come on in

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The 60s stuff has aged surprisingly well, and the 80s stuff ALWAYS looked awful!

Some of it yeah

Cerv fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 17, 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

how many TV stations worldwide actually run their own merchandise & media stores?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

In fairness in the first season Bad Wolf was built up as a big deal and later turned out to be largely pointless. "Bad Wolf means Bad Wolf" is not much of a revelation.

it wasn't really built up as much of a big deal though. it was just there in the background, right up until the finale two parter. so it only became prominent in any way at the same time as it was shown to be 'largely pointless'.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"The new Doctor Who casting will be announced at half time of Everton vs Manchester United" doesn't sound like something that should happen in any sensible world.

true. it should be on Sportscene not Match of the Day

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

CobiWann posted:

And remember, the first pic of Matt Smith made him look very emo...

it really didn't

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jivjov posted:

Dim light, dark clothes, the hair....

A kneejerk reaction of "emo" was super common

A few idiots yes. And vocal ones. But not a normal reaction

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

qntm posted:

The really clever bit about Trenzalore,

there is nothing clever about trenzelore

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Good God "Planet of the Daleks" is so dull. Dull dull dull. I've been forcing myself through it even though I've fallen asleep twice and I can't even remember what happened in episode 1.

Nothing happens until the cliffhanger.
It's a good shock that reveal. That there's a Dalek on this planet. Who'd ever have guessed?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Jack was in it and he didn't narrate it either.

Besides, there are plenty of gaps to do Rose-less stories for BF to exploit.

You could, but I think you'd be going against the whole point of the season one story. That's a bit lame.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Cerv is right but it's kind of irrelevant

Story of my life

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Heads up people who don't have jobs to go to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/writing_doctor_who_30sept16

quote:

BBC Writersroom presents Writing Doctor Who

Join Doctor Who’s multi-award-winning lead writer and executive producer, Steven Moffat, alongside the show’s script editor, Nick Lambon, to discover the journey from initial story idea to shooting script and beyond...

Steven Moffat and Nick Lambon will be interviewed on stage then it’s over to you as we throw the session open in an audience Q&A.

If you’ve ever wondered how a Doctor Who script is developed from pre-production to "Action!", this very special event with two of the show’s most important figures is an absolute must-see!

Friday30 September1.45pm
BBC Radio Theatre, London
Minimum age: 18
Maximum of 2 tickets per request

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Wait, there are people in England who DON'T live in London?!?

Yea. But if they're not willing to book a last minute megabus for the chance to see Moffat talk about how great he is, are they really true Who fans?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

You're right, a true Who fan is willing to spend literally hours trapped in a moving vehicle next to a chemical toilet full of other people's waste. It's no worse than watching The Twin Dilemma.

Take your iPad and do both at the same time

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Cerv posted:

Heads up people who don't have jobs to go to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/writing_doctor_who_30sept16

quote:

BBC Writersroom presents Writing Doctor Who

Join Doctor Who’s multi-award-winning lead writer and executive producer, Steven Moffat, alongside the show’s script editor, Nick Lambon, to discover the journey from initial story idea to shooting script and beyond...

Steven Moffat and Nick Lambon will be interviewed on stage then it’s over to you as we throw the session open in an audience Q&A.

If you’ve ever wondered how a Doctor Who script is developed from pre-production to "Action!", this very special event with two of the show’s most important figures is an absolute must-see!

Friday30 September1.45pm
BBC Radio Theatre, London
Minimum age: 18
Maximum of 2 tickets per request
first time i've actually been drawn in a BBC ticket raffle, and work's declined my leave request 😭

any takers? they're named tickets so one of you should be a guy to avoid suspicion. otherwise calling tomorrow to return them

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, the first book ends with Urquhart killing himself after Mattie confronts him with the tape that reveals his crimes, then Dobbs ignored it and wrote To Play the King as a sequel to the TV story (I don't think he ever even went back to rewrite the ending of the House of Cards novel). That novel ends with the Prince Charles stand-in announcing he will abdicate (as he does in the TV series) but also declaring his intention to seek election as a private citizen, with the intention of standing against Urquhart in his own seat, the implication being that Urquhart will lose.

As far as Transatlantic adaptations go, I didn't think the movie version of State of Play was terrible. Not as good as the BBC serial but not terrible.

Paul Abbott always used to talk about how he had a sequel to State of Play in the works, but it's been 13 years now so it's never happening. :(

Nah, Dobbs did do a revised edition of House of Cards that changes the ending to match the TV show among other things. Which I know because I once bought the novel thinking it'd be nice to see if it's really as different as contemporary reviews said and only realised half way through that I'd got the wrong one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Baseball is the one true international sport. :getin:

Ive got some bad news for you about the "World Series"

• Locked thread