Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This is the only thing that should be allowed to come before the start of any BBC home viewing media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8jf_93Lv8

ahhh, that's the stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

okay

followup

is the series nine episode "Under the Lake" like classic who

and i mean, outside of the MUST SEE CLASSICS or whatever. if you were to take an average episode of classic who would it, more or less, be like under the lake, and if not why not

A much better comparison would be The Rebel Flesh, or The Empty Child. Under the Lake has quite a few recognisable things, but then it also does some things that for Who are a major departure. One of the few things I found interesting about the year just gone was the way a lot of the stories were willing to play with the show's conventions for multi-part stories that even NewWho has mostly stuck to. Things like "there is a clear main time/place setting: if another time/place is visited it's done so to do a particular thing". In, say, City of Death, the Doctor briefly visits 16th-century Italy and 400 million BC, but it's always to do a specific thing and you can say "City of Death is set in modern Paris" in a way that you can't say "Under the Lake is set in 2119"; it's set across two completely different time periods and places at once which both interact with each other. I can't remember off the top of my head Classic Who doing that in that way; even in a story like Earthshock where it switches halfway through from future Earth to the spaceship, when the Doctor moves, the entire plot and all the characters go with him and there's nothing left behind on Earth to interact with.

(On the other hand, if you're referring strictly to the individual episode Under the Lake as opposed to the entire story then yeah it becomes hella more conventional, but then you're kind of missing the point because a big part of the atmosphere of the whole comes from bolting the more traditional part 1 onto the more experimental part 2.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wait, there are pictures of Voyager shuttlecraft not crashing? I'm going to need some more reassurances of their provenance before I believe that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It gets a pass under the Web Planet Clause.

edit: Babelcolour, the best maker of fanvideos anywhere, is giving up. This is apparently the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJhtkJ7Vg6E

Now excuse me while I clear out some hard drive space to archive that channel

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 21, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Original MURRAY GOOOOOOOOOOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOrelNQKxcw

Eccleston: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRE1aOogdPI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwccn3cq6Ug Note no middle 8 in the closing theme

Tennant 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3hSsVIf61o Very similar except the middle 8 is back and the orchestral sounds are better because they're from an actual orchestra this time

Tennant 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O34Por_fqQU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya3n0sIT-6Q There's a big guitar on the low end, some much stronger strings from the orchestra, and the Delia Derbyshire elements get squashed right down, because MURRAY GOOOOOOOOOOLD knows not of this "restraint" of which you speak

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I am going to wait and let it prove itself poo poo before I call it poo poo. I've got other things to do for two years.

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I've said before, I quite unabashedly love the first season because it reminds me of CBBC kid dramas (RTD's bread and butter before he did stuff like The Second Coming and Queer As Folk, of course) like The Demon Headmaster which I was dead keen on when I was younger.

Every time this comes up I get sad that he chose to pattern NewWho after Dark Season instead of after Century Falls.

DirtyRobot posted:

What is with Doctor Who's shooting schedule being so gruelling that it burns out experienced, talented actors

Think about a story. Any story will do. The God Complex, say. Go back and watch it and see how many scenes the Doctor is in. In terms of length of shoot, or what they shoot in the time available, it's comparable to other big event dramas, but if you compare it to e.g. how much of the show Shirtless Young Guy had to carry in Merlin, or Jonas Armstrong had to carry in Robin Hood, that's a lot of work for the lead.

Now consider how many lines there are to learn, how much of the actual acting involves Big Important Emotional Dramatic Moments. Then there's how an awful lot of the scenes involve dashing around, running up and down corridors, or standing for long periods of time while the effects department does its thing or you wait for the cloud to pass over.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If she were physically able (in 2017 she'll be 60), I'd cast Kathryn Hunter in a heartbeat, the only actor I can think of whose voice could have the same impact on today's audience that Tom Baker's did in the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4U78RwmXdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jwj7IwOHqI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nAi_QYsWmk

I enjoy going to see her on stage in large part because it's always fun watching the reactions of people who've never seen her before; this tiny five-foot-nothing woman appears, and then this voice rumbles out and knocks half the audience into next week.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

marktheando posted:

City of Death got 16 million viewers yeah I know itv were on strike, you would need to be the World Cup final to get those kind of figures in 2016.

Funny thing, Voyage of the Damned pulled in 13.31 million. I wouldn't put it past them to get back there with another Christmas special if Chibnall turns out a few hot years on the spin.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

They said during the commentary that there was a shortage of Oriental actors in England in the 70's and they had to make due.

This is a shabby and mendacious lie. There were actors they could have cast (as the cast of The Chinese Detective shows) and they chose not to because yellowface was still culturally acceptable at the time, in a world where the Black and White Minstrel Show was still a major part of ITV's schedule.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Au contraire! He was Lin Futu in Four to Doomsday; it's Four to Doomsday, in which we also discover that Tegan happens to speak "Aboriginal", whatever that is, and I'll forgive anyone for having bleached the details out of their brain.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Possibly the best moment on British radio ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR9yE1vCVyU

Howard Goodall captures Classic FM and seizes the opportunity to play the orchestral Ace Rimmer theme (and proves that there's no smooth way to say "and it was composed and conducted by me"). Because you would, wouldn't you?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Which Doctor Who villain do you think Donald Trump is? I find it kind of hard to choose.

Henry van Statten.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Frontios is seriously underrated, even if it is highly distracting watching Jeff Rawle from Drop the Dead Donkey trying to play a character with a backbone.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OTOH, if JN-T hadn't got carried away with playing to the adoring fanbase and taking conventions to America, he could have moved on with no problem at all when Peter Davison left, while the show was still popular enough for another BBC producer to have wanted to take the job...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

IceAgeComing posted:

honestly i can agree with most of those problems with that era of Doctor Who, although it seemed to especially fall off the rails when Baker got made the Doctor. Although my understanding was that lots of the reliance on the history of the programme was more of a Saward thing rather than JNT

Ian Levine was doing his fan advisor thing very soon after JN-T got his feet under the desk; he was in there well before Saward (IIRC the first major thing he got done was the haunting faces during the Logopolis regeneration).

quote:

Its interesting that the last few years of Doctor Who don't really have them; perhaps that could be because JNT deferred a lot more to Cartmel or that something changed in the way that he handled things.

What happened is that the fanbase and the fan press (who JN-T had taken great delight in playing to, giving long interviews to fanzines in the production office) turned on him and the show after Colin's first year, and he didn't take it very well at all; and then that coincided with a new script editor who wanted to go a different way. There's a reason Cartmel and Stephen Wyatt came up with the idea for The Greatest Show in the Galaxy and the Whizzkid character in particular, it's exactly the sort of thing they'd think up after hanging around the production office for a year in 1987.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There! Are! TEN! Letters!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

XXXXXX

In Valhalla, Capital of Callisto, Jupiter's premier moon, anything and everything is for sale. But Valhalla is in trouble due to Earth granting independence and cutting off the supplies. The Doctor visits the Job Centre and finds power cuts, barcoded citizens and monthly riots and a termite problem.

XXXXXX

Cast

The Doctor — Sylvester McCoy
Jevvan — Michelle Gomez
Our Mother — Susannah York
Laxton — Philip Jackson
Gerium — Fraser James
Tin-Marie — Donna Berlin
Clerk — Duncan Wisbey
Groom — Dominic Frisby
Worker — Jack Galagher

XXXXXX

Written by Mark Platt (Spare Parts, Ghost Light)
Directed by John Ainsworth
Executive producers Nicholas Briggs, Jason Haigh-Ellery

XXXXXX

It's The Macra Terror but less good

Excuse me that's Marc Platt I'll have you know :goonsay:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What ridiculous waste in the defence budget! A deux cheveaux for an officer? Back in my day they only got un cheval!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Paradise Towers has some bits that are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCpaOLo6tio

and some bits that are utterly embarrassing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn5CEL37t7A

and some bits that are kind of both at the same time

http://dai.ly/xv6gwu?start=365

and Richard Briers walking around with a stick in his arse

[LINK REDACTED TO AVOID SPOILERS/MENTAL TRAUMA]

It's an experience, but I can totally understand why someone would go "no this is horrendous shite".

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This is a secret feature on the City of Death DVD, in which Douglas Adams and Ken Grieve (director of Destiny of the Daleks) demonstrate why exactly Douglas begins by affectionately calling Ken "one of the world's most stupendous and marvellous piss artists".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g885Io2Dj0M

C'est magnifique.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I wouldn't call Vervoids unwatchable. The Twin Dilemma is unwatchable. Underworld is unwatchable. (So is The Myth Makers, boom boom.) Pip & Jane scripts are ideal fodder for heckling while three sheets to the wind.

(The correct breakdown is that Mysterious Planet is a misunderstood if very minor classic and Mindwarp is entertaining cobblers, if you were wondering.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

How can you have been 13 in 2004 and still old enough to remember The Demon Headmaster? I was barely old enough to remember the Demon Headmaster and I'm an entire school older than you.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Swing your pants, everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTJx_esVlfo

(If anyone knows where I can get hold of the one where they told Jason Donovan "sorry, we only have famous people in the Singing Corner", I'll be most grateful...)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Weird way to spell Doctor Who: The Mummy on the Orient Express by Jamie Matheson starring Peter Capaldi and Jenna Colman

Who's Jenna Colman? Does she sell mustard?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Aha, you may not be interested in politics, but politics is interested in you :smuggo:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Time Lords are what would happen if the Federation took the Prime Directive to its logical but stupid conclusion; you just end up with a bunch of people in silly clothes and even sillier hats sitting around doing nothing at all

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You bring up "children's tea time", but the last time that was really true was in Colin's run (which was contrasted nicely awfully by Saward's approach to the stories). By the time we had McCoy the programme was going out around half seven to eight weekday evenings (Thursday or Monday depending on which season) which is very definitely into "adulty evening television". Of course the programme didn't have the budget to do that properly, but they were definitely being pitched at an older audience by the end of the 80's.

You say that, but compare the timeslot with Andrew Cartmel's story about his interview with Jonathan Powell (head of Series & Serials at the time, the department which produced the show); Powell asks "who is the audience for Doctor Who?", Cartmel of course says "Doctor Who is for everyone!" and Powell corrects him, "No, Doctor Who is for children." The phrase "mixed messages" does rather spring to mind.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That is almost certainly Gordon Tipple, who played the Master for less time on screen than it took you to read this sentence.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Party time for all the little worms!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"The new Doctor Who casting will be announced at half time of Everton vs Manchester United" doesn't sound like something that should happen in any sensible world.

What, you don't remember all the times they've spent 11 minutes of half-time at the World Cup talking about the match and then stepped away for a couple of minutes to plug some other upcoming BBC programme? It's surely not like they're going to wheel the newbie out onto the pitch and have them do some gasping interview.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That's a really good idea!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Nightmare of Eden is a 1988 McCoy story ten years early; there are some really good bits, and some really embarrassingly terrible bits.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's as lightweight as a box of fluffy ducks, but fine if you treat it as a farce on itself. You wouldn't like the show to be like that every year, but once in 50 is fine.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Anyone who likes the idea of RTD's Midsummer Night's Dream should toddle over to the Globe Player, where you can see their smoulderingly gay 2013 production of that play for £5.99 to rent or £9.99 to buy. Or, even better there's the all-male gay-turned-up-to-11 Mark Rylance Twelfth Night for the same price, a production so good I saw it about six times. Also has Stephen Fry giving his Malvolio. Have a free Youtube clip, I insist.

edit: they've also got the excellent Doctor Faustus that had Arthur Darvill as Mephistopheles.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 6, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you don't like Minnie the Mini Magician, you are dead inside

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CommonShore posted:

That's not the baffling part - it's the weird imposition of the "causes" on each doctor, and the general shittiness of the entire image. The font changes on the right hand side - it's as if they ran out of causes, left it blank, and then some subsequent troglodyte decided to finish it so that it could be about ethics in video game journalism.

I have seen plenty of well-written, thought-provoking things about how sometimes the Doctor takes very interesting moral stances that are not always in accord with the comfortable liberal-left opinions that a lot of fandom expects him to have.

This is not one of those things.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

One impression I have of the revival in general is that RTD Who (especially the first season) is like a really good CBBC show

The first thing RTD ever did for television was for CBBC; it was called Dark Season, you can buy it on DVD, and it had some unknown 16-year-old called Kate Winslet playing one of the three leads. Buy it and marvel at how right you are.

(Then you should check out the second thing he ever did for television, which was called Century Falls, and is also on DVD, and get extremely depressed that he chose to pattern NewWho after Dark Season instead of Century Falls.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Besides, it's only the First Doctor... who did he ever beat?

I'll let Mr Capaldi field this one

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Burkion posted:

Pertwee might have the best first season of any Doctor that still exists.

I still think it's the best for sustained quality with almost no missteps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rona Munro or I riot

• Locked thread