Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

KamikazeJim posted:

The base game is only $3.99, the remaining characters can be bought as: $5.99 for remaining Base Set characters, $9.99 for Shadows Characters, or $11.99 for all characters (or you can be an idiot fucker and buy an individual character for $1.99) . Cheaper than buying them all for the browser or PC versions, which would run you $30 total.

Do you know if the unlocks are account wide, or only for the platform you buy the on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Patchwork is out next week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY3T163TFN8

$3
Wednesday
Online async

I've played the physical version recently. It's an interesting 2 player game that involves selecting and tetris-ing patches onto your board and gaining buttons. It's very simple but has a surprising amount of things you need to keep track of to make sure you're not giving too much away to your opponent. I still don't know if I like it a lot but I think it's interesting enough to warrant a purchase.

The app is made by the same dudes who just put out the Le Havre: Inland Port app, which I've heard is pretty well done, though no one here plays it because you're all too busy still playing Ascension. Hopefully this port is good and maybe it could become a goon staple alongside Tanto.

Shoegazing fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 20, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Whoa, hell yes, Patchwork is fantastic.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

The game I mentioned in my previous award-winning, enthusiasm-inducing post: Patchwork, is now available for purchase.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I figured out how to utterly break Ascension. Not something that's likely to happen in a real game, but combine Wandering Askara + Serpentcall or Temporal Eye/Tablet of Time's Dawn + Reclamax and Hedron Link Device along with a decent amount of draw and you can maintain an infinite combo of additional turns.

Got to nearly a thousand points before discovering that you can't stack up a dozen extra turns in a single turn, only one per turn.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At that point your pad grew arms and punched you in the face.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Eschatos posted:

I figured out how to utterly break Ascension. Not something that's likely to happen in a real game, but combine Wandering Askara + Serpentcall or Temporal Eye/Tablet of Time's Dawn + Reclamax and Hedron Link Device along with a decent amount of draw and you can maintain an infinite combo of additional turns.

Got to nearly a thousand points before discovering that you can't stack up a dozen extra turns in a single turn, only one per turn.

http://www.pockettactics.com/features/the-most-epic-ascension-turn-in-pocket-tactics-history/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eschatos posted:

About one game in ten of Ascension I can rack up a score over 2000 in one or two turns, but it can generate multiple additional turns. I'm still looking forward to Dreamscape hitting the app, though, as it will make new combos and Adayu the Ridiculous will disappear out in favour of the new mechanics.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Anyone played Glass Road yet? There aren't any reviews up on the app store, and Pocket Tactics' review is still forthcoming.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
If anyone else in this thread (who isn't on the GroupMe) is playing Zeitgeist Royale right now, we have a clan for the board game goons because all half dozen general goon ones are full up. Befriend Fire Sauce on GameCenter and then PM me or post here for a clan invite.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hows the Agricola app?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Agric app is great on the iPad

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Ropes4u posted:

Agric app is great on the iPad

:agreed:

Le Havre is good too, although a little more bare-bones.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Caveat: both games are pretty bad on an iPhone 5, Le Havre specially so. The screen is way too cramped.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Caveat: both games are pretty bad on an iPhone 5, Le Havre specially so. The screen is way too cramped.

I was trying to stay positive but since you opened the door, they aren't better on an iPhone 6 if you have 52 year old eyes.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Le Havre deserves a better app, 'functional' is about the best you can say for it.

How on earth is Galaxy Trucker in 'honourable mentions'? It's one of the best iOS games period IMO, let alone board games.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Steam: Rails to Riches is featured in the App Store right now, but I don't have any familiarity with it. The most trainy game I've ever played is Ticket to Ride. Anyone have any experience?

It's much more of an actual economic train game than TTR, quite cutthroat and you can actually bankrupt yourself as far as I can tell.

It also seems to be totally open information which I'm not a fan of, otherwise it's an interesting game. The AI sucks unfortunately, but that's also true of TTR, Wabash Cannonball etc.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Bubble-T posted:

How on earth is Galaxy Trucker in 'honourable mentions'? It's one of the best iOS games period IMO, let alone board games.

for people who like random number generators, its a fun game

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bubble-T posted:

I was under the impression there was something wrong with the multiplayer? I can't remember what though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

jubelio posted:

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
You guys are loving dead for besmirching the holy name of Lord Vlaada.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

jubelio posted:

what about for people who like Gargle Gyros 2016?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Hauki posted:

what about for people who like Gargle Gyros 2016?

mostly for people who like explosions, even if it's their cpu exploding.

dropkickpikachu posted:

You guys are loving dead for besmirching the holy name of Lord Vlaada.

I didnt say it was bad. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a game with super random mechanics and sometimes I'm not.

TACD posted:

I was under the impression there was something wrong with the multiplayer? I can't remember what though.

It had some issues initially but I think they got taken care of.

jubelio fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 7, 2016

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
loving Ascension gets to be in the top slot in the OP while you guys complain about Galaxy Trucker being too random?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

cbirdsong posted:

loving Ascension gets to be in the top slot in the OP while you guys complain about Galaxy Trucker being too random?

To be fair, if this were the TG Board Games thread we'd be on page 5 of the derail at this point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
To be fair, I've played more rounds of Ascension than every other BG app on my iPad combined. The app is really fantastic, which says a lot considering I would never play the paper version.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
These guys fuckin love Ascension for some reason. It's about as random as Deckbuilding gets, and we actually have better games on iOS like Dominion, Puzzle Strike and Tanto Cuore The Perpetual Game of The Month, but Ascension is still all the rage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dominion is so poo poo they pulled the app.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SynthOrange posted:

Dominion is so poo poo they pulled the app.

And Puzzle Strike is so poo poo I uninstalled the app. Free would be too much to pay for it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

KamikazeJim posted:

These guys fuckin love Ascension for some reason. It's about as random as Deckbuilding gets, and we actually have better games on iOS like Dominion, Puzzle Strike and Tanto Cuore The Perpetual Game of The Month, but Ascension is still all the rage.

I really have no desire to play paper Ascension, but the game is pretty perfect for asynchronous multiplayer.

It's light and random, and there's just enough strategy per turn that you have to think about your play, but not so much that it takes up any real amount of your time. Fits nicely to play 4 or 5 turns at work. If things don't go your way and your opponent flops into a way superior hand, no biggie. They'll give you a remarch.

I've tried playing crunchier games a sync and there's just too much game state to re-remember and too much strategy to quickly make a play in between bouts of being a responsible adult, and nobody wants to be the player who constantly holds up everyone's turn.

The app is kinda ugly but it's solid behind the scenes where it matters.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
All this leads me to believe that Tanto Cuore is the best boardgame on iOS.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, I would never touch ascension in real life with actual people I wanted to spend time with, but as an iOS game it's pretty decent for the niche it fills.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
I loved the Ascension app until I figured out how to get infinite turns. Then for a while it was fun to try and beat my highest score, but the base game stopped being fun in comparison and I haven't touched it in about a year.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

I would be fine with moving Ascension /shrug

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

KamikazeJim posted:

Game of The Month

Now there's an idea

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

So it's not a board game per se, but a bunch of us are getting into Warbits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX94N_qBZPg

It's essentially a clone of Advance Wars, a light tactics game that have several games on the GBA and DS. It's really well made and despite a few changes I'm not crazy about, it's scratches that itch perfectly. It's $3 right now on launch sale, with no IAP or whatever if that's a thing you're avoiding.

Along with regular online async custom games against friends, it also has this sort of group leaderboard matchmaking thing that is pretty neat called Tag Matches. So if you have the game, or are planning on getting it, you should chill with us and join our #BoardGoons tag.

I feel this will tide us over until Twilight Struggle finally is released on iPad or Playdek finally adds some expansions to Tanto Cuore.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Suicidal Maniac posted:

So it's not a board game per se, but a bunch of us are getting into Warbits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX94N_qBZPg

It's essentially a clone of Advance Wars, a light tactics game that have several games on the GBA and DS. It's really well made and despite a few changes I'm not crazy about, it's scratches that itch perfectly. It's $3 right now on launch sale, with no IAP or whatever if that's a thing you're avoiding.

Along with regular online async custom games against friends, it also has this sort of group leaderboard matchmaking thing that is pretty neat called Tag Matches. So if you have the game, or are planning on getting it, you should chill with us and join our #BoardGoons tag.

I feel this will tide us over until Twilight Struggle finally is released on iPad or Playdek finally adds some expansions to Tanto Cuore.

How's the / is there a single player campaign? Advance Wars is my jam.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Foehammer posted:

How's the / is there a single player campaign? Advance Wars is my jam.

It does have a campaign, and as far as I can tell it basically serves as a extended tutorial. I could be wrong, as I'm only a third of the way through it (check out some reviews I guess). Even if it does ramp up in difficulty, which it probably will, there isn't that much of it to really suggest the game if all you want is single player. They seem to have built this game around the online, which is good because I'd rather have that then the opposite, but a campaign at the level of AW would have been cool for subway rides.

If you love Advance Wars a lot though I'd maybe suggest it anyway because for $3 this is the closest you'll get until Nintendo remembers it exists. I'm really really enjoying it so far.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I can't even get the game to connect to Game Center for some reason, it's really annoying.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Kris xK posted:

I can't even get the game to connect to Game Center for some reason, it's really annoying.

I've read that was an issue and couldn't tell if it was a bug with Gamecenter or Warbits, but an update soon should be fixing it. I'm having that issue on my phone but not my iPad. I got it to connect to my phone once and was good from there, but I deleted it trying to reset the ID to match the one on my iPad and haven't been able to get it to connect again since. Resetting my phone helped the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any great 2 player iPad board game adaptations? Either on the same iPad or one for each person. Thanks!

• Locked thread