Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Mod ROLE CALL: Which mod are you?
This poll is closed.
Butt Wizard 19 5.85%
Jean Splicer 19 5.85%
A Star War Betamax 98 30.15%
Gnarly Hotep 36 11.08%
Ralp 76 23.38%
Abe 77 23.69%
Total: 325 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Yo, what is up fellow mods of GBS. Thought I'd post a GBS MOD only thread here in the mod forum. Other mods are free to chime in i guess. Main idea is for this to be a place for us to discuss new ideas about how to make gbs great again.

TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION:

Reward vs. Punishment. It's easy to use negative reinforcement... but could we get better results from POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT.. like making sure to sticky good threads, cool mod challenges, etc! Maybe mailing people little prizes? I have no idea.

Bad posters: what should we do?

Moderator BONUS CHECKS: How to maximize our earning potential. With the new point based system, it would seem that just banning and probating up to the daily minimum would be the best strategy, but I've run the numbers through a simple spread sheet and there is quite a bit to discuss yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Ok so I made a mistake and put this in the wrong thread and the admins will be moving it soon but in the meantime please lets keep this to GBS MODS ONLY....

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Also what goofus changed my av??????????????? what the heck guys

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good grief this is a fiasco

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

www posted:

i like your new AV betamax, it is very cute.

well enjoy it while you can because i'm working on changing it as we speak................

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Ok we're getting this sorted out.....weve got radium on skype!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

What's he wearing?

A pained expression! just kidding...

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Would somebody mind buying my old avatar back? I am a little strapped for cash right now.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Maoist Pussy posted:

Like, by "good" he just means more photoshop threads, right?

No there are lots of kinds of good threads. But yeah, bad threads should be gassed. "BUT WHY??" You ask... well, not just to keep Gibbs clutter-free, but also to let people know what kind of thread we're looking for.

Here's the kind of stuff I've been gassing:

Threads where the OP is just a couple of words or a single sentence. When there seems to be no intention to start an interesting discussion or to be anything beyond a one shot "joke". Usually these are easy to spot because they have something to do with farts, poo poo, buttholes, peepee, poopoo, cucking, dicks, etc.

Threads where the OP is just "haha look at this youtube video" or "haha look at this picture" usually everyone has already seen the video or picture in question when their grandma liked it on facebook so its kinda redundant to have it here.

Neato threads with nekkid babes for jerkin' and tuggin' with your pals at work.

Mean spirited, uncreative attacks on other GBS posters. Usually this consists of a screen cap of a forum post where the OP totally OWNED some other person.

Here is stuff I HAVE NOT been gassing:

Threads where people are legitimately wanting to discuss things like: gamer gate, doobies, fat people, politics, cop violence, twitter, whatever.

Anything that seems to be fostering legitimate, or humorous discussion, while abiding by the handful of rules we have round here.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Me too.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

thanks friend

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Except... I can't help but feel that this is the part of the movie where i catch a glance of my reflection in the mirror and it's your face staring back at me and I scream in rage and smash my fist into the glass and then I'm just left gazing into my own shattered visage.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's more like when Luke Skywalker was training, went into that cave, fought Vader, and when the mask blew up it was Luke's face under the helmet.

Good grief spoilers!!!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

big shags posted:

Hey mods! No complaints on my end so far. You're all doing a great job for the forums and I appreciate the hard work, patience and long hours you're putting in for a better Something Awful.

I do wish there were more "Easter Eggs" hidden throughout this site though. It'd be nice to see a little greeting from the mods hidden in a profile link, or maybe there could be each day a random person's avatar could change to a cryptic symbol that I could decipher, leading to an even more obscure clue that takes you off site via yospos and into the real world and beyond

That sounds like a good idea........

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
gnarly was a good man

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Jailbrekr posted:

Is the mod forum still fun? I enjoyed the knitting threads.

It's wall-to-wall el spider posts now.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Does Applewhite post there?

Yeah but he mostly sticks to the speed skating megathreads.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
genespilicer is a good man and a good mod but he is very old and out of touch with the modern youth culture we need to attract thats why i suggest he dye his hair and start riding ska boards

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I am 32 years old

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I've lost 30 pounds since july!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

a bone to pick posted:

Aww you're going to look just like your anime av soon :)

Thanks for reminding me about that... still waiting on franco to upload the fix!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
BTW guys I'm gonna start moving all election theads to the Election Erection subforum or whatever its called these days because that place is looking pretty wild these days you should check it out if you got a minute.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

sout posted:

I think it's a DnD subforum now or something.
By the way what does RSF stand for?

Rim, suck, gently caress.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Ork of Fiction posted:

LEGIT REQUEST 2 MOD:
Could one of you chaps change Frog Act's AV back to it's previous thing or blank it out or whatever. It's been months, and he don't deserve that txt.

I don't know who that is but you could purchase him an av cert! It's only 5.00 dollars the price of a cup of 'offee

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Ork of Fiction posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=184126

I don't see the difference between red text that breaks forum rules and a picture that breaks forum rules. Like, if it was a butthole then someone would change it.

But, w/e. Just wanted to make sure you and Gene knew there's a guy posting around the place with I HATE NIGGERS in big red text.

Thanks friend. I'll delete the red text :-)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Hogge Wild posted:

i seem to have misplaced my goldmining button, so could someone else goldmine this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760639&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post455134699

Thanks for reminding me! Done.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Are you still running?

No. I think I have an intestinal worm though.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

What's the worm's name? I'm sad you're not still running. I was hoping we could be marathon buddies once I actually get to run a marathon...:sweatdrop:

I had to stop runnning a year ago because i have a torn meniscus in my right knee.....i need to get it fixed but i keep putting it off. when the torn piece gets displaced it gives me lots of pain and makes my knee swell up... but i found one weird trick to fix it. I find the lump on side of knee where the cartilage is sticking out and i push on it with all my force and it pops back in!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

whoflungpoop posted:

We should have Helot Day wherein some godawful permanent resident thread is declared Helot Thread and reminded of its place (toilet) lest it entertain notions of freedom (from sucking) and for 24 hours we go in and sack the place and steal the harvest and call them fuckin nerds

What is a Hellot?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

gnarlyhotep posted:

I tried the reward system (I even rewarded you with some socks at one point). It doesn't seem to work as well as negative reinforcement, unless you're willing to put a ton of work into it (thinking up challenges/rewards/fun trinkets). Maybe that's where you will succeed. I know you have the potential to be great, I just hope you also have the stamina to keep it up after months of these people's crap.

I wear those socks every day gtep ill never take them off

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Grody posted:

i demand to know what happened to my thread about my pedophile neighbor

I moved it to the gold mine you goof

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I guess i sent it to the comedy purgatory instead

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761332

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hey guys what is your take on casual racism in the china\russia\etc type threads?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

dad gay. so what posted:

its also funny to me how fast starwar transformed into spanish manlove

It's not funny to me. It's frightening

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Rambling Robot posted:

i wonder who'll be the new mod?

Whoever posts "I'm gay" the most.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Ok so what do you guys think should be done about posters wishing "death threats" on each other? It's something thats been getting reported lately. Things like people saying "Oh ok well then I think you should kill yourself" etc? Normally I think, whatever.... but its been bothering some people so I dunno...what do you other mods think?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

whoflungpoop posted:

if it is funny then it should be treated as a joke. if it is said by effectronica then it is not funny because only its poster is a joke.

I don't know anything about this effectronica individual.... should it be banned?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Franco, Gtep........ come on guys lets all take it down a few notches. a few notches...ON MY BELT because you both are cruising for a bruising!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Just kidding... do whatever you want. Post about yourself.

• Locked thread