Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Bernie Sanders will be the death of the moderate and acceptable wing of the Democratic party.

Why does Senator Sanders seek to kill the essence of the Obama administration so rabidly?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Bernie Sanders will be the death of the Democratic party.

Why does Senator Sanders seek to kill the essence of the Obama administration so rabidly?

Bernie wants to deliver what Obama promised us on the campaign trail.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

etalian posted:

Bernie wants to deliver what Obama promised us on the campaign trail.

Campaign Obama is not elected Obama!!!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Campaign Obama is not elected Obama!!!!

I think the american people realize this which is why they are picking Bernie not Hillary despite Hillary having every possible political advantage in the race.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

etalian posted:

I think the american people realize this which is why they are picking Bernie not Hillary despite Hillary having every possible political advantage in the race.

I think the American people realized this which is why they elected Barack Obama despite Hillary having every possible political advantage in their race.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

I wonder who's the one person who voted for MOM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

greatn posted:

Obviously not that random Iowa farmer who was the only guy at a MOM event.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

greatn posted:

"Hello my name is Mr. Yellamo and I come from... someplace far away!"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
free MIGF

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

Permaban MIGF

same

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

i'll pass

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Not a Step posted:

Nope. Disagree. I am ready for a return to psuedo-isolationist America that doesn't try to shape any more regimes. At most I'm willing to support airstrikes in support of other regional movements who are willing to invest their own ground forces. Maybe some special forces because theyve been proven to be effective on the ground. But no more political manipulation and shenanigans. Let the world have a few civil wars and the occasional genocide, if it must, so regional powers can get their poo poo together. America should stand by to take in refugees and skim the best talent from poverty stricken and war torn nations, same as we always have. Aside from that, I'm sick of ill planned military adventure after ill planned military adventure, and I bet I represent a decent amount of the millennial generation. gently caress American imperialism, lets go back to our culture and science encouraging the world to be more like us instead of our military.

Also cut $100 billion from our military spending and use it to fund federal education and research initiatives.

E: And before anyone gets pissy about insufficient patriotism, I served for six years in the Navy (and milked that federal welfare for all it was worth) but then went on to graduate from an elite private liberal arts college
this can make sense. getting in early and applying economic sanctions is the way to go. iran has got a great treaty. It is spectacularly two faced of clinton to criticize the relationship at the moment.

are there any goons that get pissy about insufficient patriotism? I like to think one can be patriotic for the principles this country was partly founded on, rather than its current state.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stephenfry posted:

this can make sense. getting in early and applying economic sanctions is the way to go. iran has got a great treaty. It is spectacularly two faced of clinton to criticize the relationship at the moment.

are there any goons that get pissy about insufficient patriotism? I like to think one can be patriotic for the principles this country was partly founded on, rather than its current state.

She had to criticize things such as Iran relations as way to show that she's a powerful war hawk who gets love letters from Kissinger.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

http://i.imgur.com/YifevOC.gifv

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Cool, that's my favorite Skynyrd song as well!

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
THE SIMPLE FAKT OF THE MATTER IS THAT MIGF IS SOMPLY THE BEST IMFORMED POSTER IN D AND D AND THUS IS A THREAT TO THE MODERATORS

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Mendicant posted:

THE SIMPLE FAKT OF THE MATTER IS THAT MIGF IS SOMPLY THE BEST IMFORMED POSTER IN D AND D AND THUS IS A THREAT TO THE MODERATORS

IF I LEAVE HERE TO-MOHO-ROOOW
WOULD YOU STILL REMEMBER ME? (Wawa Wawawa Wawow!)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

So this is what SA is like during North America's Weird Night Hours: a kareoke bar full of drunk people.

Or maybe just one, single, drunk person.

ALLLLLL BBYYYYYYY MYSELLLLLLLLLLLF

don't wanna be

ANYMORRRRRRRE
/

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

My Imaginary GF posted:

Bernie Sanders will be the death of the moderate and acceptable wing of the Democratic party.

Sanders v Trump: reluctantly choosing a demotion to typical European democracy and irrelevance over the prospect of nuclear winter

And to that to the guy celebrating a return to isolationism, at this point much of our economy is based on intervention and world hegemony. We need to return more of that profit to the shareholder (citizens) instead of funneling it to multinationals, not give up what strength we have.

Let me put it this way, colonialism has a proven track record but only when the aggressor is the strongest power by a factor of ten as we are now (Spain and Britain in certain eras come to mind). Isolationism has an awful track record even among impressive countries.

Before you try to make an economic argument, and I'd be glad to see a good one, I'm an econ major. Current models do not account for the possibility of bullying, tribute, vassal states, etc. And yes, I'm a monster, but at least I'm a monster for my fellow citizens.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Combed Thunderclap posted:

So this is what SA is like during North America's Weird Night Hours: a kareoke bar full of drunk people.

Or maybe just one, single, drunk person.

don't wanna be

ANYMORRRRRRRE

CAUSE I'M AS FREE AS A MIGF NOW
AND THIS MIGF YOU CANNOT CHAY-YAY-AY-YANGE!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Bernie is to Obama what Obama is to George W. Bush.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
Vote for Hillary Clinton if you think Obama was too hard on Wall Street and too easy on drone striking people.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Vox Nihili posted:

Bernie is to Obama what Obama is to George W. Bush.

That's really stretching it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In 2008 I was 13 with stupid teenage impulses, so I could not vote.
In 2012 I was a month shy of 18 so I still could not vote.
In 2014 I volunteered for Michaud, was very good at my job, and voted.
In 2016 I shall again volunteer, and perhaps meet and impress Bernie Sanders, and vote.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

That's really stretching it.

You're right, that really only applies to foreign policy, trade policy, and economic policy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/Seinfeld2000/status/688927020860977152

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Not a Step posted:

Nope. Disagree. I am ready for a return to psuedo-isolationist America that doesn't try to shape any more regimes. At most I'm willing to support airstrikes in support of other regional movements who are willing to invest their own ground forces. Maybe some special forces because theyve been proven to be effective on the ground. But no more political manipulation and shenanigans. Let the world have a few civil wars and the occasional genocide, if it must, so regional powers can get their poo poo together. America should stand by to take in refugees and skim the best talent from poverty stricken and war torn nations, same as we always have. Aside from that, I'm sick of ill planned military adventure after ill planned military adventure, and I bet I represent a decent amount of the millennial generation. gently caress American imperialism, lets go back to our culture and science encouraging the world to be more like us instead of our military.

Also cut $100 billion from our military spending and use it to fund federal education and research initiatives.

E: And before anyone gets pissy about insufficient patriotism, I served for six years in the Navy (and milked that federal welfare for all it was worth) but then went on to graduate from an elite private liberal arts college

This isn't actually pseudo-interventionist anything, what you've described is actually interventionist and an excellent example of damned if you do /damned if you don't nature of foreign affairs. While I fervently disagree with the notion of letting a few atrocities happen here and there to keep things strictly in the hands of local powers, what you've largely described in regards to airstrikes and support without regime building is what has been happening largely under an Obama (and therefore half Clinton) administration. What you've described in its fullest last happened under the Bush Administration.

:shillary: indirectly supported regime change in Libya by being America's Head Diplomat while the country pushed for a no-fly zone. We did nothing to help rebuild the country afterwards, and now that whole thing is a Grade A Clusterfuck and Hillary gets blamed for *not* doing anything. Yet if she did anything, then Obama/HRC would be blamed for getting the country into another quagmire, and they will be blamed for doing anything at all. America generally has been pursing a sustainable war campaign versus ISIL (which I support), and they are also pushed for not doing anything hard enough.

We've tried regime change, that loving sucks but we realized that blowing up the bad guys is something we're pretty drat good at. There needs to be an effective overlap, which is what's happening now in Syria / Iraq now IMO but it doesn't stop her or anybody else from getting flack over it. Again, things are not black and white, bad or good.

It's also okay, nobody is questioning insufficient patriotism. It's a debate, not a series of personal attacks.

stephenfry posted:

Iran broke treaty obligations with missile launch tests. Like she said, we've had one good day in a sea of lovely ones. You can't just let them have everything because they listened to 90% of what you said, especially when we are talking about the details of an actual, very detailed treaty brokered over compromise and hard work.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

We can only hope!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oiled and Ready posted:

Before you try to make an economic argument, and I'd be glad to see a good one, I'm an econ major. Current models do not account for the possibility of bullying, tribute, vassal states, etc. And yes, I'm a monster, but at least I'm a monster for my fellow citizens.

oh man, an undergraduate econ major playing devil's advocate, everybody hold on to your poo poo!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Oiled and Ready posted:

i got an economic argument for ya; eat my gently caress

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CornflakeS.Pecially posted:

We can only hope!

Being a moderate is a good thing in America, Cornflake! Being a moralist demagogue is the path to madness.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Has anyone come up with a proper word to describe a vote for the Iraq occupation? Bernie uses "mistake" a lot, but that seems way to neutral to me. "Blunder" is a little better perhaps, but it also sounds too much like "party foul."

I'm tired of an egregious moral failure being whitewashed as a strategic error.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Has anyone come up with a proper word to describe a vote for the Iraq occupation? Bernie uses "mistake" a lot, but that seems way to neutral to me. "Blunder" is a little better perhaps, but it also sounds too much like "party foul."

'A naughty aughties SNAFU of FUBAR preportions'

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

Being a moderate is a good thing in America, Cornflake! Being a moralist demagogue is the path to madness.

to be a moderate in america is to be a devil wearing the skin of a man

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I like to think in private Bernie refers to it as "a colossal gently caress up rivaled by the Vietnam War".

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
He's used phrases like, "biggest foreign policy blunder after world war 2"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

rscott posted:

He's used phrases like, "biggest foreign policy blunder after world war 2"

Is Bernie Sanders calling WW2 a foreign policy blunder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the fuckiest and clustery-est of the clusterfucks

• Locked thread