Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Th NYSE is looking shaky these days. Prolly Bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

how the hell am i suppose to pay for drugs now?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If i sell a lot of drugs and get a lot of bitcoins, how do i turn that back into money?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fonzarelli posted:

If i sell a lot of drugs and get a lot of bitcoins, how do i turn that back into money?

you find someone to buy them from you for cash, for less than they are worth overall

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
A phone vibrating itself off the table, live!

Is there a clip of this?

Also the next gen engineering and businesscraft of BFL..

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the nyt had a good overview of how the community basically splintered in two over ideological differences (with one camp wanting to move more mainstream and legitimate while the other has been wanting to keep Bitcoin as something of an underground thing) and the resultant fallout as everyone tries to undermine each other.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
The FBI bookmarked this thread

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

It's funny how quickly everyone lost interest in Bitcoin once the difficulty went up, and you could no longer just mine them with your PCs graphics card.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm watching John Wick.,it kind of owns

:hfive:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm watching John Wick.,it kind of owns

It does indeed own, and the assassin currency in the film is more realistic and sustainable than Bitcoin

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Story + question about bitcoins:

I have a friend who has been dating a new partner for about 4 months. My friend has a good job and savings of about $40 or $50k. Her partner wanted to return to university but lacked the means to pay and he asked if he could borrow tuition for a year (about $6000). My friend wasn't comfortable loaning that sort of money for a 4 month old relationship causing her boyfriend to offer to give her $6000USD worth of bitcoins as collateral for the loan.

My friend isn't that computer savvy and didn't know what a Bitcoin was so her partner set about studiously showing her magazine articles, pages printed from webpages, graphs showing their value over time and gave assurance after assurance that bitcoins were a real thing. She was still worried and, in the middle of an argument, her partner promised her his entire Bitcoin fortune (worth about $15,000 USD) as collateral for the $6000 loan. Wanting to avoid a longer argument she said yes and he set about putting the bitcoins in her name.

Since then, he's been needling her and making snide, passive aggressive comments about how she's holding onto his entire retirement savings and making allusions about how unfair it was that he had to turn over $15,000 (which is apparently worth $18,000 now) in exchange for a "mere" $6,000

Anyway she's sick of it and wants to cash out $6,000 worth of bitcoins so she can settle the loan and then send him back the remaining bitcoins so this doesn't keep coming between them. Except she doesn't know how to convert her Bitcoin fortune into real money and asked me to help her.

My question is, how screwed is she?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Serrath posted:

I have a friend who has been dating a new partner for about 4 months. My friend has a good job and savings of about $40 or $50k. Her partner wanted to return to university but lacked the means to pay and he asked if he could borrow tuition for a year (about $6000). My friend wasn't comfortable loaning that sort of money for a 4 month old relationship causing her boyfriend to offer to give her $6000USD worth of bitcoins as collateral for the loan.

My friend isn't that computer savvy and didn't know what a Bitcoin was so her partner set about studiously showing her magazine articles, pages printed from webpages, graphs showing their value over time and gave assurance after assurance that bitcoins were a real thing. She was still worried and, in the middle of an argument, her partner promised her his entire Bitcoin fortune (worth about $15,000 USD) as collateral for the $6000 loan. Wanting to avoid a longer argument she said yes and he set about putting the bitcoins in her name.

Since then, he's been needling her and making snide, passive aggressive comments about how she's holding onto his entire retirement savings and making allusions about how unfair it was that he had to turn over $15,000 (which is apparently worth $18,000 now) in exchange for a "mere" $6,000

Anyway she's sick of it and wants to cash out $6,000 worth of bitcoins so she can settle the loan and then send him back the remaining bitcoins so this doesn't keep coming between them. Except she doesn't know how to convert her Bitcoin fortune into real money and asked me to help her.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Serrath posted:

man she can sell them but I wanna say she's gonna lose like 15 or 20% on it to get the cash

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Serrath posted:

she doesn't know how to convert her Bitcoin fortune into real money
This isn't actually possible

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
And if she actually manages to sell them (on an exchange that isn't a scam or isn't crashing, without getting stabbed in a parking lot, etc.) tell her to take a video of the dude when he flips out about it

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Blue Train posted:

man she can sell them but I wanna say she's gonna lose like 15 or 20% on it to get the cash

She hasn't told her partner she's going to sell them yet. I haven't met him but he's probably going to flip his poo poo, he looooooves his bitcoins

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Blue Train posted:

that's assuming they are from drugs

if he just bought them as an investment and they're clean she just needs a selfie, Id, and bank account to get the money

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Serrath posted:

She hasn't told her partner she's going to sell them yet. I haven't met him but he's probably going to flip his poo poo, he looooooves his bitcoins

if they're in her name there's gently caress all he can do about it really

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If she doesn't know anything about it, there's a good chance the guy has the private key to whatever address he gave her, and another very good chance he'll try to take them back if she says anything about her plan

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
The thread title should be

Bitcoin and its users are hilariously broken in 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

If she doesn't know anything about it, there's a good chance the guy has the private key to whatever address he gave her, and another very good chance he'll try to take them back if she says anything about her plan

yea this too honestly

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mercury_Storm posted:

it's this, i guarantee it. bitcoins aren't in anyones name, there is only control of the private key to the given address. given that your friend is a non bitcultist id say one guess as to who generated those addresses "in her name"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Serrath posted:

From memory, but your a smart guy serrath, how do you know idiots like this? Please have them film the back alley rape/transaction

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

RBF (replace by fee) is their genius solution to the problem of your transaction never going through because you didn't pay enough fees, so you can re-initiate the transaction with a new fee so it will actually happen...

Only thing is when you re-initiate it you can also set the payee to someone else, so you can just set it to yourself and the original person never receives the coins.

As stated in the article pretty much everyone thinks this is a terrible idea, but the bitcoin devs put it in anyways so welp!

Oh man, I remember when one of the major selling points of BitCoin was "no chargebacks". Now, the developers put it in due to demand and it instantly got abused more than chargebacks.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The filesize of the bitcoin blockchain doubled every year for the past two years and is now almost 53 GB.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
But with bitcoin theres no FEES! (unless you want the transaction to go through you have to pay a fee) if your fee is not good enough it still doesnt

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The only thing more broken than the bitcoin protocol is the people who set up their cargo cult financial empire around it by trying to fast forward through the entire historical evolution of modern finances, running face first at full speed into every single problem along the way.

What I'm saying is I'm glad to see the thread back because mining laughs from the Laughchain is an infinite source of entertainment.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

SumYungGui posted:

The only thing more broken than the bitcoin protocol is the people who set up their cargo cult financial empire around it by trying to fast forward through the entire historical evolution of modern finances, running face first at full speed into every single problem along the way.

What I'm saying is I'm glad to see the thread back because mining laughs from the Laughchain is an infinite source of entertainment.

I think the original might still be on the crew forums, unless it was lumped in with the xbone release thread.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Wicker Man posted:

I think the original might still be on the crew forums, unless it was lumped in with the xbone release thread.

This is one of them

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

OP was put on probation by Senior Woodchuck, because Senior Woodchuck was a loving idiot.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

http://money.visualcapitalist.com/its-official-bitcoin-was-the-top-performing-currency-of-2015/
Bitcoin's surged 35% in value! Too the moon!
Then 10 days after that article was published, some important dude involved with Bitcoin declared the things "failed" and the price briefly plunged to $350

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The real question is, can you still buy drugs?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Nirvikalpa posted:

The real question is, can you still buy drugs?

gently caress off bitch

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
All of these things are true but you see this is actually good for Bitcoin because

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Serak posted:

All of these things are true but you see this is actually good for Bitcoin because

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Serak posted:

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Serrath posted:

Tell your friend that a man whose entire life savings is in BitCoins has no future prospects and she'd be better off dating someone else.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

the black husserl posted:

goons have been talking poo poo about bitcoin for years but it just keeps getting more valuable and legit. please explain.

We backed CosbyCoin but then...

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lol at the movie Dope

The Mexican dude taking bitcoins wants to call out the black kid for not being hard lol. So glad he got punched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Lol at the movie Dope

The Mexican dude taking bitcoins wants to call out the black kid for not being hard lol. So glad he got punched

a good movie that anyone who has not seen should watch

• Locked thread