Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

mdm posted:

what is a bitcoin is it made of viruses

Its a spiritual successor to BioShock. Gameplay is a bit different though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Man Bitcoins are like sort sort of cursed poo poo, everything they touch turns out bad

"You best start believin' in Bitcoin stories, Miss Doctor."

*Walks into the moonlight*

*Is actually a bitcoin mining rig*

"Yer in one!"

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Emanuel Collective posted:

Bitcoin dudes really hype the potential for bitcoin as currency. Bitcoin can only even theoretically become worthwhile as currency if it's price stays flat & predictable. Bitcoin dudes really hype the trillions of dollars they'll make when Bitcoin rises exponentially & unpredictably. The standard response to this dilemma is that they're both possible, if and when the global economic system irreversibly collapses. They'll just trade their e-currency for gold in the fallout shelter.

What I'm getting at is that Bitcoin is a doomsday cult

I've never heard of any half-way decent doomsday scenario where the internet is still up. We can't properly devolve into feudal lords vs. legions or rape-raiders if there's still an internet.

"Hey guys, a water caravan just tweeted that they're leaving. Call in the reserves, I looked up their new bodyguards and they're serious people, one of them hosts my favorite improvised-pipe-guns YouTube series."

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

notZaar posted:

What percentage of global warming carbons can be attributed to criminals running overheating processors for this poo poo?

There's no way it's high. But if it really did take off and hit it big, man, now there's a fun new doomsday scenario.

Just picture it. Enormous skyscraper-scale computer towers far as the eye can see, radiating heat into a dying world. Humans live in tiny cells squeezed in among the superstructures. And all that processing power is for making new bitcoins. Nothing else.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

actually it's good/funny

I only started but I think I'm doing well. Check out my achievements.

Not Yet Accomplished:
Captain of Industry
Create your own financial empire
I Am The One Percent
Make a million U.S. dollars
Pillar Of The Community
Make a positive contribution to society

Accomplished:
Twenty-One Links Of Blockchain Around My Leg
Went into debt
Going Down Down
Tried to mine a bitcoin without success

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

i should have known that the death of Bitcoin would be caused by fragile egos belonging to big stupid nerds

Bitcoin is really derivative. Bioshock already TOLD this story!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

What happens when there are no more bitcoins to mine?

The year is 3255. Space China has just built a Dyson sphere around the sun.

All it does is mine bitcoins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Carmant posted:

ITT: A bunch of retarded goons struggling to comprehend one of the most staggering scientific/technological achievements in decades.

This is the laziest troll.

Yeah, sure, you "got" a bunch of people, but it's more like you got their hopes up that something funny would happen then didn't deliver.

• Locked thread