Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

evilweasel posted:

you're a moron

what was exploited was someone got inside the bank and then used the bank's systems to authorize the bank to use SWIFT to send themselves money

you know what happens with ~the blockchain~ replacing SWIFT?

the exact same thing, except probably worse since there's no human going "hmm seems wrong" when they ask for 1b

Though the funny part of this story is that no one did the last bit in this story either. What got it caught was the thieves misspelled one of the banks' names and someone from the other bank called them to let them know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

waitwhatno posted:

This reminds me, back in the the day, when I used to read this thread, there was this one guy called "dank" or something. I remember he

- tried to do a bitcoin source code audit and asked in a thread what #include means

- worked on becoming a rockstar by practising guitar every week and looking down on all the moochers who are never going to achieve their goals in life

- tried to open a hookah bar without any money or business plan and was begging for loans

- got way too much into drugs and had a psychotic break where he saw his own death. Supposedly some biker gang was stalking him and was trying to kill him or something?

- last thing I remember was that he was convinced to be the second coming of Jesus Christ and that his destiny was to organize the biggest rock festival in the world and create world peace.

What happened to that guy? Was there ever any payoff?

The first one was Atlas, the bitcoin wunderkind who brought women to orgasm through his inherent value. He was just a dumb teen. All the rest of those are dank though, yeah.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Looks like 125k bitcoins may have been stolen from BitFinex. Some things never change.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

CaptainSarcastic posted:

"Bitcoin exchange platform Bitfinex is reporting the theft of what some users are saying is as much as 119,756btc — or about $65 million in cash."

How exactly are they determining that cash value? Is that 65 million in Monopoly money? An equivalent amount of gift cards?

Probably spot price on some big exchange, which as we all know is a moronic way of figuring that.

E: yeah that ^^

• Locked thread