Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Very misleading. Between an old-fashioned overdose, or blood poisoning from not getting a gangrenous limb amputated, or getting caught by a side effect they had no clue would occur, it's a race to see what kills them first. I have to think that the number of people who do research chemicals recreationally and manage to make it to 50 is vanishingly small.

these people are doing gods work. once some researchers finally come around to testing all these new chemical compounds in the lab, they will already know what's safe for lab rats and mice and what to avoid all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

thathonkey posted:

has anyone made the joke shitcoin yet

no, but somebody made a groincoin joke.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

You're still giving them too much credit. A business or a country has no reason to use a bitcoin-like system. All of the potentially desirable qualities of such a system (cryptographically-secure electronic payments, distributed accounting) exist in other forms without the downside of having to burn enough electricity to power a small country in order to run it. A commonly found thing in the YOSPOS thread is that a lot of idiot bitcoiners on reddit think that Satoshi invented cryptography and distributed databases, so to them any payment system that uses cryptography is now just a derivative of bitcoin.

A sort of awkward labeling situation has been created where businesses want to appeal to idiot VCs so they'll say that they're adopting blockchain technology when what they really mean is that they're using a distributed database with cryptography to sign transactions, tools that were in use decades before bitcoin ever existed. All of the proof of work bitcoin mining poo poo built on top of a system like this is worthless to a business.

can't buy precious research chemicals with fiat mahney, police will track you and sabotage all the research

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

Bitcoin price flux is almost completely the result of social panic, and bears no relationships to any other indicators of the economy. Machine learning is dicey for things we understand pretty well in the market (like how precious metals usually increase in price during market volatility) and is mostly used for arbitrage and exploiting small fast "sure thing" trades that appear and disappear faster than humans can hunt them down. There a zero percent chance that will work.

imagine: each person in a residential building is an artificial neuron. you activate your neighbour by hammering on the walls, and the volume is your edge weight. you also have a blockchain on your computer!

that's a free decentralized neural network, free from government interference. just imagine the possibilities!

e: nobody steal my idea, I have an uncle working at the patents office

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 17, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fangz posted:

Even if you could predict bitcoin price fluctuations you can't buy and sell bitcoins efficiently, safely and cheaply enough to make it work.

Well, unless the result of your algorithm is 'don't buy bitcoins'.

strange game, the best move is to kill you're self

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

Why wouldn't Crowley just review the food and the woman who made the salad got a rating that way. That's how we do it now. It doesn't just work, it's the best way.
Why is there a forum filled with people doing something with bitcoin to guess how tasty something is based on a picture taken with a phone.

It's like Amazon's mechanical Turk, but decentralized and with a blockchain. If you know, what I mean. Do you know what I mean?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

Yeah, I mean - all of the the blocks would be mined and no one would need to charge each other transaction fees. It would just be a way of instantly moving money from one side to another. In the case of banks, they already transact with each other constantly and generally trust each other, but it still takes days for a check or wire transfer to clear through the antiquated ACH system. So a custom blockchain might give banks the ability to sidestep that process and make certain transactions instantaneous since it would be impossible to misrepresent the amount of money available to you and ownership transfer would happen immediately per agreement between the banks. In essence it would be essentially a public ledger of contracts to a share of a pile of money, except the contracts are unfalsifiable cryptographic keys that can be transmitted instantly.

1.) I have never seen a single check in my entire life, nobody in the developed world uses that poo poo anymore. My freaking parents haven't seen a check in their lifetime. It's a solved "problem".

2.) How about you transfer money from one account to another account over a trusted network of banks? You know, also instantaneous, but without the blockchain. It's a solved "problem".

What you need is for your medieval banking system to do some much needed modernization and not playing around with buttockscoinage.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lockback posted:

Are your parents 13 or something?

Europe stopped using that check poo poo many decades ago, together with asbestos and pedo moustaches.

Decrepus posted:

Guys I have never seen a CD, DVD, or any type of physical device of any means in real life before.

My goondolences.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Roylicious posted:

Well that ain't true either I just had a Euro check in my hand a year ago. Although yeah check use there is pretty rare.

That's creepy, cause Eurochecks™ were abolished something like a decade ago, because no one needed or used that poo poo.

Is the check corporeal?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Roylicious posted:

You're just making poo poo up whole cloth now. I had a Deutsche Bank check in my hand.

If it was true that cheques are abolished in the EU since a decade ago then explain why they need to amend the cheque clearing process in 2016: https://www.deutsche-bank.de/fk/de/docs/J_Amendments_to_German_cheque_clearing_process_2016_(englisch)_(A4)_160303_Screen.pdf

That's a regular check, not a Eurocheck. Why did you get a check from DB? Why didn't they do a direct deposit?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Prettz posted:

what does any of this bullshit have to do with laughing at bitcoiners' misfortunes?

American banking system is so hilariously outdated that even bitcoin seems like an improvement to some people.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

You will notice that in spite of these flaws we have all the money and all the guns, so, y 'know. Make us. :colbert:

Well, you either reform your primitive banking system now or you gonna have to watch the captains of industry do it for you, with the cryptographically backed payment system of the future. It's your choice, change or total bitcoin annihilation

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This reminds me, back in the the day, when I used to read this thread, there was this one guy called "dank" or something. I remember he

- tried to do a bitcoin source code audit and asked in a thread what #include means

- worked on becoming a rockstar by practising guitar every week and looking down on all the moochers who are never going to achieve their goals in life

- tried to open a hookah bar without any money or business plan and was begging for loans

- got way too much into drugs and had a psychotic break where he saw his own death. Supposedly some biker gang was stalking him and was trying to kill him or something?

- last thing I remember was that he was convinced to be the second coming of Jesus Christ and that his destiny was to organize the biggest rock festival in the world and create world peace.

What happened to that guy? Was there ever any payoff?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Looks like German Elliot Rodgers, the guy that shot up the mall in Munich, bought his gun with bitcoins on the tor network.

Lmao and people itt said Bitcoin will never amount to anything.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

that's impossible guns are illegal in germany

It's a maritime law so he just chose not to create joinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bahaha, I just remembered that one time some bitcoin shill went deep undercover in a camgirl forum. It took these "dumb sluts" something like three posts to figure out who he is, what bitcoins really are and that he has no idea what he's talking about. They absolutely destroyed him.

• Locked thread