Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fonzarelli posted:

If i sell a lot of drugs and get a lot of bitcoins, how do i turn that back into money?

you find someone to buy them from you for cash, for less than they are worth overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Serrath posted:

Story + question about bitcoins:

I have a friend who has been dating a new partner for about 4 months. My friend has a good job and savings of about $40 or $50k. Her partner wanted to return to university but lacked the means to pay and he asked if he could borrow tuition for a year (about $6000). My friend wasn't comfortable loaning that sort of money for a 4 month old relationship causing her boyfriend to offer to give her $6000USD worth of bitcoins as collateral for the loan.

My friend isn't that computer savvy and didn't know what a Bitcoin was so her partner set about studiously showing her magazine articles, pages printed from webpages, graphs showing their value over time and gave assurance after assurance that bitcoins were a real thing. She was still worried and, in the middle of an argument, her partner promised her his entire Bitcoin fortune (worth about $15,000 USD) as collateral for the $6000 loan. Wanting to avoid a longer argument she said yes and he set about putting the bitcoins in her name.

Since then, he's been needling her and making snide, passive aggressive comments about how she's holding onto his entire retirement savings and making allusions about how unfair it was that he had to turn over $15,000 (which is apparently worth $18,000 now) in exchange for a "mere" $6,000

Anyway she's sick of it and wants to cash out $6,000 worth of bitcoins so she can settle the loan and then send him back the remaining bitcoins so this doesn't keep coming between them. Except she doesn't know how to convert her Bitcoin fortune into real money and asked me to help her.

My question is, how screwed is she?

man she can sell them but I wanna say she's gonna lose like 15 or 20% on it to get the cash

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Blue Train posted:

man she can sell them but I wanna say she's gonna lose like 15 or 20% on it to get the cash

that's assuming they are from drugs

if he just bought them as an investment and they're clean she just needs a selfie, Id, and bank account to get the money

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Serrath posted:

She hasn't told her partner she's going to sell them yet. I haven't met him but he's probably going to flip his poo poo, he looooooves his bitcoins

if they're in her name there's gently caress all he can do about it really

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

If she doesn't know anything about it, there's a good chance the guy has the private key to whatever address he gave her, and another very good chance he'll try to take them back if she says anything about her plan

yea this too honestly

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Lol at the movie Dope

The Mexican dude taking bitcoins wants to call out the black kid for not being hard lol. So glad he got punched

a good movie that anyone who has not seen should watch

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:ironicat:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

What is with all the woman doctors ending up with loser guys? Let me guess the guy is white and the girl isnt

doctors make bad decisions because they think they are too smart to gently caress up by virtue of having become a doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Blue Train posted:

doctors make bad decisions because they think they are too smart to gently caress up by virtue of having become a doctor

alternatively, they become doctors to help broken people and that is reflected in their interpersonal relationships as well

• Locked thread