Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
At the very least the girlfriend needs to create a wallet she knows is secure and transfer the butts there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Odds are decent that this arrangement isn't legally enforceable at all and she could probably cash out all of it, dump him, and keep it.

It would cost a couple hundred bucks to talk to a lawyer about it. She should do that.

This is a public service reminder to young people that lawyers still exist, they do offer valuable services, and they are not monsters.

I don't think any lawyer would ever recommend that even with lolcurrency.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I for one am glad there are entrepreneurs willing to put in the hard work to turn electricity into waste heat and nonsense.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

How do I buy a bitcoin and how do I know it is real when I buy it

Also, how many bitcoins do I need to buy cocaine

It's hard to say, cocaine and bitcoins are very similar in that the 'street value' is entirely made up.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

Don't forget the guy back in the super early days that traded 10,000 Bitcoins for a pizza

A good trade IMHO.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rexim posted:

I hear about this happening but I don't get it. Isn't all this based on a public ledger? I don't get how destroying local data translates into destroying bitcoins.

They aren't destroyed, but without the private key no one can use them.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

gently caress da Mods posted:

i dont "get" bitcoins which means i am not autistic

being autistic is necessary but not sufficient to get bitcoins.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

they'll just drop the difficulty and you'll have to do the hashing by hand

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I prefer junkies that don't think they're Walter White.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I am the one who cucks.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The hardware arms race basically made sure that no one ever even made hardware costs back.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these GPUs.
*eight months later*
Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these FPGAs.
*eight months later*
Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these ASICs.
*never gets ASICs*

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I think you could do any type of problem that's extremely difficult to solve but extremely easy to verify. Protein folding is probably out completely because it probably doesn't have the second property.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Did they ever figure out how to fix the 50% problem, or could three of the five Chinese dudes collude to take all the butts?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Floats can only exactly represent rational numbers with a power of two denominator. 1/4 a bitcoin, you can represent. You add 4 of them together you get exactly 1 bitcoin. 1/3 a bitcoin, nope, you can only represent a number that's almost but not exactly 1/3, so you add 3 of them together you get something that's almost but not quite 1 bitcoin.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

They turned a bitcoin miner into a tears miner. An excellent trade imho.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Because magic

Basically this. The phase change is what does most of the cooling and that's occurring on the floor. He gets extra points because it's possible to asphyxiate yourself with nitrogen without feeling anything.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Crust First posted:

...and this can only handle about 7 transactions per second (max)...

lol

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

:aaaaa:

also no matter what you think of bitcoin it's still better and faster and cheaper for sending money internationally than western union and moneygram, as long as the recipient can turn it back into money or drugs or something usable at the other end

that's a hell of an if.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

not really though anymore

really? I thought it was still really difficult to cash out.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

as long as you're not cashing out tens of thousands of dollars there are a lot of companies operating more-or-less above the board that will instantly turn bitcoins into money for you. Also, in many shitholes around the world it's well worth the hassle for receiving remittances from abroad since the government taxes western union and the mailman steals all the cash in the mail

yeah but I'm talking about former iron curtain shitholes and african countries and poo poo

How do those companies get the money into your hands in estonia? Doesn't it just move the problem?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If the point is avoiding western union then it wouldn't really help if the bitcoin company had to send you your money through western union or a similar service.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

you should maybe buy something small in bitcoin sometime it'll dispel a lot of the goony myths about how complicated it is

you can instantly buy bitcoins on coinbase as easily as funding a paypal account and use it to pay for things on amazon for example via bitpay without having to do any of the nonsense you just outlined

I'm starting to doubt:

The Goatfather posted:

I'm not a bitcoiner...

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Goatfather posted:

SA bitcoin threads are echo chambers of imaginary nonsense just as much as any bitcoin forum

Since your answer to basically every question so far has been jibba-jabba I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think the thread is right and you are wrong.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

goatfather still claiming he isn't a 'bitcoiner'?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Options presented in this thread in order of smartest to dumbest:

1. Hire a lawyer to help you get the money out all legal like.
2. Move the money out legally 10K at a time by ferry.
3. Move the money out legally 10K at a time by plane.
4. Smuggle the money out.
5. LOL BITCOINS

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Either way you're going to have an outrageous electricity bill-

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

klafbang posted:

Are you also starting to feel that Bitcoin isn't sufficiently retarded in this day and age? Well, good news! Why not introduce the HumanCoin, it's like butts, but requires proof of waste of human life instead of computer time.

That's cool as hell. I mean in theory not in practice, kind of like bitcoin in that way.

edit:

quote:

Third, proofs of human work are fair by nature. Professional or rich miners would not have an advantage over regular users.

Uhhh, having the resources and/or connections to set up a third world humancoin farm would be a pretty huge advantage. Like way bigger than the ability to buy some GPUs.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 17, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I think the PoW has to be easy to verify which (probably) isn't the case for protein folding.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Do you have a bitcoin address associated with your name? Cool, I'm going to cut loose with some ransomware that tells the victim to pay you. Now you have to prove that you didn't do it, and if you don't, the state will murder you.

That is what he means.

That's not how the law, at least in the United States, works. The prosecutor has to prove you did it rather than you having to prove you didn't do it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Sometimes I'll order a pizza even if I don't want one. In 90 days, who knows?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

There can only be X bitcoins and the worldwide economy is worth Y, so when everything is running on bitcoins they will each be worth Y/X. This is unassailable logic, and everyone should buy in while they can.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

No one's sent anything for like 16 hours? I wish this was even a fraction as popular as twitch plays pokemon so it would DDOS bitcoin.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Harik posted:

Bitcoin XT was none of this, with an added dash of "You don't need the block chain, just trust unverifiable information you request from hostile peer2peer nodes".

List of dumb poo poo:
* blockchain, but bigger. Hello 1tb just to participate.
* Request a "ledger" from P2P that but have way of determining if it's complete or even accurate.
* double-spend broadcasts which will inevitably completely flood the network with notifications and be filtered out everywhere, making them useless.
* "thin blocks" is what block transfers should have been in the first place - just the TXN ids in order so if your peer already has them they can just flesh it out themselves.
* No plans to fix the requirement that we burn 4000 tons of coal each day in busywork.

Like, I fully support XT, because the sheer amount of stupid decisions they've made that enable ever-more hilarious hijinks to occur means the value of comedy can only go up Up UP. They're doubling-down on the mistakes made and trying to apply bandaids to fix them.

There are people out there who've come up with ideas to actually solve some of the problem bitcoin has. Thing is, they don't typically work in bitcoin because it's stupid. Modern distributed filesystems work with syncronizing b-trees over many machines. The guys behind freenet came up with a system where emergent network behavior determines where the authoritative location of data is, decided by the people who connect to you - meaning no matter how many machines you control if your algorithm comes up with a different answer than the rest of the network, it will look there instead. As far as the energy cost - that's due to the winner-take-all approach and big payout for finding a "block". If bitcoin has demonstrated one thing, it's that exponentially scaling arms races of busywork are a bad plan. Push forward research on distributed consensus - that's an insanely useful topic, and cryptocurrency is a notoriously hostile playground - perfect to prove your algorithm works.

Jesus christ, thank you. I know the concept, I've even used it, but I could not loving remember the name of it. The blockchain is like an inbred merkle tree - it works the same way, but only has one branch.

Is the 4000 tons per day figure true? That's like a quarter of a fossil plant's usage, which is absolutely insane given how useless it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Crust First posted:

The most damning thing about Bitcoin is how nobody who uses Bitcoin uses Bitcoin.

Don't say Bitcoin, say The Blockchain! But Jesus loving Christ, don't wait for transactions to be written to the Blockchain, just accept zero confirmation transactions, nobody wants to wait 10 minutes!

You can buy things for Bitcoin on our site! Just give cash to this company, who will totally give us Bitcoin, except we don't accept Bitcoin, we have them instantly converted to cash.

Buy something from this site with your Bitcoin, and then instantly buy back the difference in cash to keep your total balance from changing! This is good for Bitcoin!

Come trade Bitcoin on our site! Just deposit them into an account we control, and then we'll just do all the transactions internally rather than using Bitcoin or the Blockchain, because that would never scale for the amount of transactions we're doing.

The last item is the most damning. "We have the best security people working on it." "Errr... we have security people working on it." "Uh... we have people working on it." "Ummm... we have people."

• Locked thread