Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Bible posted:

Bruce Wagner. We never actually proved he was a diddler, but his rhetoric regarding Thai prostitutes and adamant insistence on Pattaya, Child Prostitution Capital of the World, created reasonable suspicion.

At least Tony Gallippi waited until they were thirteen. "uh I think you'll find the word is ephebotarian"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Bitcoin has tried the remittance case and nobody's managed to make a workable business of it. It seems the hard part is, ta-daah! converting the bitcoins to the local currency at the other end when there isn't a local market for bitcoins in that currency already. This was rebit.ph's big problem: that if you try to do the remittance thing with Bitcoins, you eventually have to turn into a Bitcoin exchange.

Transmitting money costs nearly nothing: the thing you're paying Western Union for is that last mile. And having people even trust you to do this thing in the first place. The trouble with a trustless currency is when it turns out nobody involved can be loving trusted.

You're talking to more than a few people who do actually know this poo poo and its terrible and hilarious history, y'know.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pochoclo posted:

Also, contado con liqui is better than your option because it doesn't involve mailing anything. I just need a bank account in London really, after that it's smooth sailing. I just need to survive on 10k USD enough to sign up for one and have enough left to come back here.

Make very sure you can in fact open that UK bank account without hassle. I'm in the UK and opening an account here when you're from another country is like trying to join the Bureaucratic Illuminati.

divabot fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 4, 2016

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Luxury Communism posted:

Bitcoin is a pretty nifty solution to a crypto-currency engineering problem. Reading Satoshi brings back memories of reading Bram Cohen's talking about the design principles of BitTorrent back in the day. Goons are pretty negative about what is actually a very fascinating novelty imho. :shobon:

"technically interesting" is a term meaning "what the hell even is that" or "I ain't even mad, that's amazing". It does not in fact translate to "actually of practical use for any bloody thing."

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mircea 'Socks and Cocks' Popescu posted:

The woman's job is to find a great man (not good, by the way), suck his cock, wash his socks and write his eulogy. That's it, forget all the rest of the poo poo you think you're doing with careers and "your own life" and whatnot, it's an exercise in derpitudinous ridicule. There isn't a life outside of life. This is life.

yeah thanks Mircea that's great thanks

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Asehujiko posted:

According to the GiP current events thread, somebody contacted Pharmabro about his offer to buy up Kanye's new album to prevent it's release, Pharmabro gave him $15m in butts to do this. Then it turned out that the person had nothing to do with Kanye and ran off with the money.

There doesn't appear to be a transaction of that size on the blockchain; current opinion in the green thread is that it's Shkreli Twitter performance art.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Shaocaholica posted:

So are any of the other coins taking off in the shadow of BC problems?

Ethereum is trying to use this to their benefit, in between calls to action on Reddit to mess with the Wikipedia article.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
This article is a useful overview of what an obvious con man Wright is and why his claim to be Satoshi is clearly BS; suitable for sharing with people who don't know much about Bitcoin.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

an AOL chatroom posted:

Right now, in the US at least, a lot of the established banks and financial institutions are afraid of being disrupted by emerging disruptors in the fin-tech world. Stuff like Venmo, Facebook/Google payments, and just about anything that takes a piece of the action away from them is seen as a huge threat. So a lot of them are "experimenting" with blockchain right now, though I haven't seen anyone really *do* much of anything with it. It's mostly a "let's throw some resources at this for a couple of quarters so we can at least say we tried" type of exercise. It's a relatively low-cost way to grab some headlines and pump up some powerpoint slides, but those proposing that blockchain has a place in supporting the daily workings of a bank has no idea the transactional throughput of a bank nor the inability of a blockchain to handle anything even remotely approaching that scale.

The music industry is doing much the same, except they're even more desperate for something, anything, that will stave off a world where the marginal value of a recording is ~zero. Do a Google on "music industry" "blockchain" searching just the last month (as I had cause to this morning ...), and you will see the most clueless fuckers in history getting hugely excited that this might be the magic beans that solves all their problems. Let me assure you that literally none of these people have any understanding of any of this poo poo, and are being lured by the promise of bullshit to solve all their horrible business problems. At least banking has people who can work a loving computer.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

an AOL chatroom posted:

I heard about what Imogen Heap was doing, but didn't know it had become a *thing*.

She's sold about $100 worth of download codes for "Tiny Human". Nobody ever mentions the actual sales figure (though it's even in Wikipedia). But OH MY GOODNESS the CONFERENCE TALKS. If I hated myself more I'd track down recordings of the conferences and track the inane blather. The sooner the record industry is stabbed in the loving face the better. [I've thought this since about 1982.]

CapnAndy posted:

I think we can all agree that a tamper-proof distributed ledger shared only among a select few trusted actors is a pretty good way for those parties to maintain a shared set of records, yes?
See, all you have to do to make the blockchain usable is strip it of everything that makes it the blockchain and use it for a completely different purpose than intended. BITCOIN TO THE MOON WHEEEEEEEEEEE

You literally get this just putting the transactions into a Git repository. I think the few of these semimythical finance "blockchains" that exist are Git underneath.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the govcoin thing is awesome.

the plan is to put all uk welfare recipient spending onto a blockchain (like what bitcoin runs on), for universal inspection. for americans, think of it as monitored food stamps.

(at this point you should stop for a moment and contemplate the implications of every part of that statement.)

what the tories have done is, they have bought into literally extruded startup bafflegab product that puts forward claims that literally can’t make sense. i mean, selling off public systems to your incompetent mates to gently caress up is a time honoured tradition, particularly amongst the tories. but holy crap.

points in its favour: everything about this idea is fractally stupid, can’t possibly work, even slightly, and will make universal credit (just imagine fully automated luxury communism, but run by tories) look competent and well thought out. even if it didn’t immediately fail in all the ways universal credit did, we then have to contend with: who’s verifying the blockchain, how many transactions per block period (generally measured in minutes) can it handle across the entire country, what if a wacky japester with a pile of ASICs decides to verify that every welfare recipient actually has twice the cash, etc., etc., good lord.

the bit where the dwp issues everyone with nfc-enabled smartphones is the most plausible part of the plan. surely even they can’t screw up procurement that badly. (no wait, they’ll contract it to capita, who will subcontract it to vodafone. there’ll also be a custom dwp rom. probably.)

local grocers and markets with actually cheap food don't have nfc readers of course. i'm presuming the point is to force welfare spending to be on corporate outlets, i.e. tory donors. so i'm really glad they started with a blockchain, because this means this scheme will never, ever come to fruition.

from the government that brought you brexit.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
My missive to the musicians in the audience: Kim Dotcom’s Mega 3, with Bitcoin. Two bad ideas that go worse together. Feel free to re-gopher to your "friends". The worst bit was looking for the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
SingularDTV: a “blockchain entertainment studio” using Ethereum for DRM on their totally boss sci-fi TV show about the Singularity. My latest missive to the musicians on why this poo poo is terrible and if you hear the word "blockchain" you should reach for your revolver.

Let me link their sci-fi show synopsis. A worldwide economic collapse, as predicted by Austrian economics (predictor of 200 of the last 2 recessions), leads to a fictional Caribbean island being the richest place in the world because it adopted Ethereum first, somehow leading to an artificial intelligence taking over the world. They seriously predict that two million people will get into Ethereum to buy each episode. Note that Imogen Heap sold $121 of her record, and it's no longer on sale.

• Locked thread