Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roylicious posted:

Alright found the link, looks like they did a typo and didn't get $1b but they did get $81m. Solved problem indeed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36473912

Then there's this one which is different but still:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/02/15/hackers-steal-billion-in-banking-breach/23464913/

you're a moron

what was exploited was someone got inside the bank and then used the bank's systems to authorize the bank to use SWIFT to send themselves money

you know what happens with ~the blockchain~ replacing SWIFT?

the exact same thing, except probably worse since there's no human going "hmm seems wrong" when they ask for 1b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blowfish posted:

In this regard, Germany is Bitcoin: The Cuntry.
Try to convince the average (on average slightly old) German that swiping cards is the way to go and the typical response will be some combination of ":bahgawd: But what about my god-given right to stuff my life savings into a mattress (also investing is weird and ungerman)" and ":freep: Big Government is coming for ARE FREEDOMS".

to be fair, historically speaking being worried the german government is coming for your freedoms has not been that crazy :ohdear:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

This was notable because not only did the insurance company refuse to pay, but the insurance policy was written in such a way that they'd really never have to pay for any lost bitcoins; it only covered physical theft of money, not digital transfers. But Bitcoin can only be stolen digitally. So really the policy only covered whatever cash Bitpay might have had laying around in the office

Captains of industry

i remember reading that and the insurance company's interpretation was debatable

insurance companies will contest any claim they possibly can on the most transparently bullshit reasons so i'm willing to give them a pass here

• Locked thread