Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The only thing more broken than the bitcoin protocol is the people who set up their cargo cult financial empire around it by trying to fast forward through the entire historical evolution of modern finances, running face first at full speed into every single problem along the way.

What I'm saying is I'm glad to see the thread back because mining laughs from the Laughchain is an infinite source of entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

was the guy that wanted to buy a proxima and set up a movie theater where people could watch whatever they want with like a double gonzo snack bar a bitcoiner? I seem to remember reading about it in another bitcoin thread and I wonder how his plans of "playing all the rescue rangers shows in the theater and disney won't care because they don't do it themselves" are panning out.

That was Logansryche, who was linked a few times on this page. I still think Atlas was a bigger bitcoiner dumb poo poo but it is indeed a very close race. Atlas was going to evolve himself past the need for sleep with cosmic thinking or some poo poo, giving him more time in his obviously superior life to give women orgasms purely because of his inherent worth that he would share with them.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 19, 2016

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

XK posted:

Johnnie Walker. One of my favorite exchanges was when one of the buyers of a silver ingot he made complained about it looking like a piece of poo poo. Around the same time, Johnnie Walker posted videos of his process, involving melting silver containing junk in a crucible on his porch with a handheld torch, eyeballing the purity by tossing bits and pieces in, and leaving scorch marks all over his landlord's patio. He would then beat the resulting mass with a hammer on his concrete basement floor, and go at it with a power drill to sand it and manage to sand himself as much as the silver. After seeing his videos, the buyer simply posted that he now understood why his silver looked like poo poo.

Also failing to understand how purity worked. Going from memory but I'm pretty sure something along the lines of 'All I need to do to make 99.999999 silver is keep adding this silver I have here and the purity will get to where it needs to be' came out of his mouth during his YouTube heroics.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Bible posted:

Bitcoiners are willing to give each other more money for bitcoins than they used to, but you still can't really buy anything with them, except illegal poo poo.

They've actually gotten considerably less legit. Go look at any list of places you can spend bitcoin and 90% of the list is obsolete.

Think of it this way; if you divide a given number by an ever smaller and smaller number, the portions left are bigger and bigger. Until you try to divide by zero then everything goes to poo poo.

Bitcoins are going "up in value" because Bitcoiners don't understand the concept of market depth. An ever smaller and smaller circle of gullible idiots are passing bits back and forth, sometimes*. Mostly it's wealthy Chinese looking to dump their currency and get dollars from those gullible idiots who are hoarding for the future, because like half the bitcoin processing power or something is owned by a few people in China. So sure, a Bitcoin was sold here and there and there was a number attached to those sales. What you cannot do is take the value of the very, very few Bitcoins that are sold and multiply them by every Bitcoin in existence then proclaim that to be the price. This is, of course, exactly what Bitcoiners do.

*Mostly not though because deflationary currency encourages hoarding, or some crazy poo poo some filthy fiat economist once said somewhere so it must have been a conspiracy and a lie to deprive you of your Bitcoins DON'T BELIEVE IT up uP UP TO THE MOON!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

JiimyPopAli posted:

I checked the thread and didn't see anything about this so....

There is talk about quantum computers being available in the near future. What would that do for bitcoin mining?

Long term; Nothing, because of the built in arms race that is bitcoin mining. It would probably give the few people that have access to it at the start a hilarious advantage if I understand cryptography and super-positional computing properly. Then someone else gets two QuantomCore9000 processors and he has the advantage, so someone else buys ten QuantumCore9000 processors, then someone else....

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Angela Christine posted:

Booze can still be tainted though. Unregulated booze is famous for sometimes containing the stuff that makes you blind/dead.

It is of course entirely understandable that this is not common knowledge, because we do not live in a libertopian wonderland so this kind of thing has been prevented on a large scale by regulations since the bootlegging era.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Don't forget the action packed chase scene of pursuing a bitcoin scammer over the top of a moving train by throwing penny shavings into a coin tumbler.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Liquid cooling is what all the serious people do to make things work faster right? So if I take this USB miner that's getting super hot and dunk it in a mason jar of oil then everything will be perfect.

Bitcoin: Cargo Cult Physics

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bubblyblubber posted:

That entire sentence makes no sense in my head. Did... did bitcoins make me retarded just by existing?

Nope, no you're just suffering from the effects of too much Bitcoin at one time. I gave the really condensed version. It's generally safer mentally if you learn about it over a much longer period of time so brain cells don't come to a screeching halt all at one time trying to figure out what the gently caress anything related to Bitcoin is about.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Uncle Enzo posted:

Guys your bitcoins are safe, Mircea Popescu has put up 10 bitcoins to anyone who can completely redo a new hash function!

And a truly amazing chatlog included in the announcement itself wherein our brilliant benefactor lays it down on some rando:

You loving plebes, people didn't think it was possible to go supersonic, therefore it's possible to memorize 64kb of something (roughly 32 pages of text)! Plus they're offering 10 whole bitcoins!!!

Someone get that guy an ambulance, it's a legit medical condition to be loving up your words that bad and I think he just had a stroke all over his keyboard. That's just based on the words he typed, getting into the meaning of those words is a whole 'nother can of crazy because what's this poo poo about "The Most Serenei Republic, reunited in congress"?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FishionMailed posted:

I bought bitcoins to use on the silk road and then when the price jumped I bought some more and sold them and made a few grand. I have a friend who made $20k buying early and selling after the hype train took off.

You just have to know when to get the gently caress out, and you have to not become a greedy true believer.

At that point you're basically day trading like everyone else who tries to time the market to get in before the wave and get out before the crash. Which isn't some terrible evil baby killing Hitler-level activity in itself, it is what it is.

Problem is it's not exactly the basis for a world dominating techno-revolution currency. That last part is what people mock in these threads. That and blow-dried strawberries.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tomato Burger posted:

And now there's a peer-reviewed paper about designing machines with error tolerance so that everyone can mine butts 30% more efficiently:

Why not keep this to yourself and capture 30% more butt profit?

edit: it also relies on making GBS threads up the blockchain and having everyone else figure it out to reject the bad entries during validation.

This contains such brilliant and incisive quotes as "...any reduced hash rate leads to a lower hash rate" and is basically buttcoiners.txt like you said. Instead of error checking any positives to see if they're false positive the newer more efficient designs discussed skip all that stuff, say "looks close enough to me, poo poo it out on the network as fast as you can" and if it's wrong let someone else figure out what to do with it.

Of course it's more efficient if you put your processing power towards just finding the next hash and force the rest of the network to do your error correction for you. They don't say that though, instead of saying it directly they dress it up with fancy words like it's a revolutionary new form of computing going to be the next big thing. Prisoner's dilemma all over again like so much of buttcoin. All the individual cares about is most efficiently grabbing the butts for themselves, so for them specifically it is most advantageous to spend their time/computing power figuring out another false positive instead and just hope that one's right while off-shoring the process of error detection. What happens when the entire network is composed of people making GBS threads out false positives constantly? Eh gently caress that who cares, gotta get more butts.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Carmant posted:

Thank you for calling me really smart, but I understand basic macroeconomic principles just fine.

Then put up or shut up. Start explaining things that other people don't understand. Grace us with your wisdom.

I hosed up a detail the last time I posted and you know what happened? Someone pointed out how I was wrong and in fact bitcoins are even more retarded. You should try that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LethalGeek posted:

It's a database, that's all it boils down to. The only "neat" thing about it is any idiot can write to it. Which every idiot has done.

Well now let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. There's a LOT of idiots out there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

klafbang posted:

When you split a butt all you get is poo poo.

Sounds like words to live your life by right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

COOLGUY TRUE posted:

Is there a master list of bitcoin problems / misconceptions / woos that exists somewhere? I'd really like to get very good at dissing bitcoin- i know some people who are ape over it and i don't understand what they think it does they just say these weird phrases that don't seem to reflect the technology at all and think it's inherently some sort of revolutionary thing but i don't see how it could even have any use in the best case scenario

Something important to point out is that a line by line doctoral-thesis level of footnotes and citations paper with indisputable, independently verifiable facts disproving every single possible argument for bitcoin will mean precisely zero point dick to the kind of person who gets into bitcoin.

It is simply not possible to persuade them with facts, and the huge, huge majority of the time you're not going to persuade them ever, period, with any argument whether ethos, pathos or logos. They cannot possibly give any less of a gently caress about the facts, they're going to get rich because this is the next big thing and you're just too stupid to see that.

• Locked thread