Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Reading that article is pretty funny, since the guy points out with the upcoming bitcoin changes, people can change the payment after it has been sent (apparantly to increase fees, and hence make a block confirm quicker) so you can "buy" something then edit your transaction to be for 0.000001 bitcoin instead of 0.1 and walk out of the shop without paying.

Well no, it's actually better than that- you can arbitrarily alter the destination address of your payment before it's confirmed, so you can just send your ostensible payment back to yourself and pay nothing. Consequently it's completely impossible to use for commercial transactions because the confirmation can take ludicrous amounts of time due to network congestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

You cant use electricity like a comic book super villain though.

BUT WITH BITCOIN

I am absolutely positive I could use electricity to make waste heat either more or less efficiently (depending on your preference) for a far lower cost without bitcoin than with

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

You are probably one of those same people that claim cash is obsolete and will be gone in the next few years.

It's funny how regional it can be though. Like my fiance has spent her entire life if the Pacific Northwest (and most of her foreign travel has been in Europe), never uses cash, and was generally of the opinion that it was archaic and something you almost never needed to use. And aside from some food carts she's generally right that nothing needs cash and it's never going to be a social faux pas to only have a card. The first time we visited my sister in Brooklyn, she was genuinely surprised to learn that my suggestion to withdraw a decent chunk specifically for this trip was actually a good one.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

a minor 20% correction is nothing to worry about, Bitcoin is a safe and stable store of value that you can depend on

• Locked thread