Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ah Bitcoin thread, it's been too long my old friend.

Do we have any idea what Bruce Wagner is up to nowadays?

edit: http://bitcoinme.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 :lol:

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Are any of the people who spent vast amounts on BFL hardware still using it, or is it hilariously outdated now?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

If only I had fewer ethics, it'd be so easy to start up a bitcoin insurance agency, publicly pay out a few initial claims to people in on the scam to build up trust, then just deny every one of those big hack claims (and vanish into the night if the pressure somehow builds)

Normally an insurance agency is a guaranteed profit just based on the business model, but lol at the thought of anyone paying a reasonable rate based on the risk (especially since the risk will rise due to people taking the insurance purely to try to double their money with a fraudulent payout)

Might have worked in the early days, but now if you made any money from that you would certainly end up arrested.

edit: Or assassinated. I seem to remember that one scheme that came up often on the Bitcoin forums was people suggesting hiring bounty hunters to find anyone who cheated the community. Everyone suggesting that of course wanted others to pay for it.

• Locked thread