Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Apparently Mansour not only broke his jaw, but shredded his tongue in round 2. After the fight he received 36 stitches for it.

God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Amir Khan's dodging Kell Brook like crazy right now. Brook's basically offering Khan very favourable terms to sign on the dotted line, including taking a 40% cut of the purse instead of 50-50 but Khan's saying Brook's below him and not worth it.

Well, Brook's a champ and Khan isn't, it'd sell gangbusters here in the UK. The only conclusion is he's scared he'd get beat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd love to see Kell Brook knock amir khan out and would maybe even pay for it

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Does Khan even have fans anymore, or is he trying to follow the Mayweather business model of getting people to pay to see him lose? Does he really expect Danny Garcia to give him an 80-20 split? Dude must be high on some poo poo, he has no belt and barely any legitimacy at welterweight.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I don't get it at all, it's the biggest fight for him by a long way and he's got a reasonable chance in it imo. It's quite funny seeing Eddie Hearn's desperation as it keeps falling at the starting blocks though. What a oval office.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

This is probably me being lazy but I am not so sure Khan doesn't beat Brook. Like off the top of my head I think of Brook winning over Porter mostly because he was technically good and Porter couldn't deal with his reach and lunged in a ton.

Khan kind of seems like the guy who you blast out because he is chinny, otherwise he is pretty quick and has the technical ability to cause guys problems. I remember thinking for as much as Porter jumped into Brook, he probably should have been hurt a lot more often.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
wasn't khan literally just on twitter going at brook? what the gently caress is wrong with him?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I wholeheartedly believe that brook only beat porter because he was allowed to hold more times than the last three mayweather and klitschko fights combined.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

lol it's stretching it a bit to say Porter got the rough end of the stick in that one. He fought like he thought he was in the loving Royal Rumble or something. There was only one boxer in that fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

wasn't khan literally just on twitter going at brook? what the gently caress is wrong with him?

He's been giving him some lip back yeah but he isn't backing up the talk by taking the fight so it's pointless.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I had Brook pretty clearly beating Porter and remember being surprised that people were saying there was any sort of controversy about that decision. It was pretty one-sided imo.

Khan would have a great chance against Brook which is why it's so mystifying to me that he's so reluctant to make the fight happen. He's not getting $5 million from anyone except a returning Mayweather (who has paid most of his opponents closer to the $2 million territory) and he'll never lure Mayweather back into the ring without building up some accomplishments at the weight. I don't even know what you could point to as his best welterweight win, probably Algieri tbh because at least Algieri's only other loss was to Pacquiao, and most people wouldn't even call Algieri a proper welterweight let alone a true elite fighter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Brook seems like he's stuck in the situation where he's good enough the people worth money/titles aren't willing to fight him because he's not but he's good enough that he has a chance at beating them

Maybe thats just the impression i get from the british media though

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

There are plenty who'd fight Brook. They just don't want to put him in with anyone with a pulse in case they ruin their big money fight. Khan knows it too, but if he ends up fighting Garcia instead then he's just cutting his nose off to spite his face at this point.

Incidentally I suspect Brook hasn't got much longevity in him. He's very tight at the weight and it's well known that he's a fuckabout when not in camp.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have a bit of a soft sport for Brook being from the nearest big city from me even though he supports the wrong team in Sheffield so I don't like him that much, but even given that, I just don't think he has an "it" factor when it comes to marketing for him? He talks funny too. It shouldn't really matter in the ring but I think it does.

Not that I think Khan has that "it" factor either but he was an Olympian so our media would suck his dick and call it champagne. It'd be a good, competitive fight in my opinion though so it's a shame it's probably not happening.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Watched the Saturday fights, agree that the cards were wide but Garcia should've won. Shame about Mansour, I've become a huge fan of his. Watch his fight against Gerald Washington if you want to see him manhandle another tall ex-football player.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Wbc mandated today that Garcia defend against Khan by june so yeah

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/1/26/10832630/wbc-president-orders-danny-garcia-to-defend-title-against-amir-khan

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Krusher Pascal rematch tomorrow, I didn't realize the fight was so soon. Anyone looking at the upset?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyone looking at the upset?

are you?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well... Pascal has sizable and probably underrated punching power, maybe not one punch knockout power but when he lands he hurts. He was reasonably successful against Kovalev last year, gave Krusher some trouble. Most people don't make it past 6 rounds with him , Pascal lasted eight. I don't think he looked good against Yunieski Gonzalez but tbh I can't remember if that fight happened before or after he hooked up with Freddie Roach.

This may be dumb to think but I do feel Roach may be a factor in this fight. Pascal has an ambushing style like Pacquiao does, lots of leaping in behind flurries and then leaping out. His style seems like it would benefit a lot from the Wild Cards scene. Do I think it's enough to beat Kovalev? Honestly, no, most rematches where a guy won clearly tend to go to that guy winning even faster. Bigger upsets in boxing have happened though.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
When Kovalev does that weird...shifting from orthodox to southpaw while punching thing, I always feel like eventually he's gonna get caught out of stance. Maybe on a good day I could see Pascal knocking him down, but I don't think he would be able to knock him out and I don't think Kovalev would do that again after being punished for it once. Who knows though

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Kovalev is going to destroy pascal again

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

if pascal could fight longer than 6 rounds i might like his chances better

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

afatwhiteloaf posted:

When Kovalev does that weird...shifting from orthodox to southpaw while punching thing, I always feel like eventually he's gonna get caught out of stance. Maybe on a good day I could see Pascal knocking him down, but I don't think he would be able to knock him out and I don't think Kovalev would do that again after being punished for it once. Who knows though

Pascal is an ambush fighter. He could ambush Kovalev into a great combo. There are a lot of fights in which a fighter "has a puncher's chance to win" and in my opinions Jean Pascal has that chance.

Anyway, there's not much else happening this week so gotta hype up what I have. If Kovalev wins, it builds up to a big fight later in the year. I'm pulling for Kovalev to cement a Ward-Kovalev match for the fall, that kind of fight writes itself as far as new threads go.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 30, 2016

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

groves is back tonight. i dont know much about his opponent but it's his first fight with shane mcguigan so might be interesting

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He's fightning Italy's second best super middleweight, clearly someone not to be trifled with.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the lad literally shakes his head no at ian john lewis but he attempts to wave the fight on. what a loving poo poo numpty he is. how is he even allowed to referee after the vitali - briggs fight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Lmao roy jones rapping for Pascal's ringwalk.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
HOOOOLY poo poo Roy rapping

what the gently caress is happening

This is next main event level

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 31, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

Lmao roy jones rapping for Pascal's ringwalk.

Haha, holy poo poo I missed something amazing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Y'all musta forgot.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Weird that that wasn't called a knockdown.

edit: when Pascal went down, not Kovalev

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Sergey's just too good for Pascal from what I can tell. Pascal needs to get lucky with one of those lunging flurries or something.

And now a wrestling match has broken out.

e: I guess he is getting through now and then, but it's only one punch.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pascal has his moments but this round especially he's been getting beat up.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

we got ourselves a fight

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pascal can't win throwing 20 punches a round.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Pascal can't win throwing 20 punches a round.

He definitely can't win throwing 0 punches. This is about to get stopped if he doesn't do something, like anything.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Pascal is a bum

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm surprised it wasn't stopped honestly.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yeah we're done here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Roach, stop the fight dude. Kovalev's killed a dude and he might do it again at this rate.

• Locked thread