Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Floyd is so loving salty :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

god, that interview was like 4 separate train wrecks

i don't really care about the result. it was like the kov-ward fight where you could probably pick any result and be right.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Good fight. Disagreed with the decision but I think it was fine. Degale is a hell of a fighter.

Julio Cruz posted:

He was mostly right.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Had De Gale by 2 going into final round so draw seems right.

Jack didn't do enough to dominate the middle rounds when they were there for the taking, which is why I don't understand why he could be up on some cards by anything more than a single round. People saying Jack should've had it by 2 or 3 are waaaay off.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack's middle rounds may have gone a little underappreciated because Degale was doing a real flashy job of punching his gloves. Degale really scrapped that fight which I can respect. Not going RBR Jack was winning overall in my opinion, but going RBR I can see a draw for Degale. A really good fight overall though.

E: people should really stop getting worked up over this type of "controversy" though, when you get good fights like this or the Kov/Ward fight they're going to be close, that's why they're so good to watch

Jump King fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 15, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Julio Cruz posted:

What happend?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Floyd (who promotes Badou Jack and said before the fight he was going to bet up to $500000 on him) said he thought Jack won. He said that Jack has now received two questionable decisions in a row. Then he brought up how in his victory against De La Hoya one judge had De La Hoya winning (in an embarrassing fumble, he described it as "one judge scored a unanimous decision for De La Hoya")

Throughout this he insisted that Jack would move up in weight due to troubles making 168 and that he was uninterested in a rematch. Jack seemed more interested in the rematch but Floyd said jack was "his fighter"

All in all, Floyd was pretty cringey throughout the whole thing but I think the crux of what he was saying (Jack should have won and this is the second bad decision he's gotten in a row) were reasonable opinions for him to have. I don't really know about how hard it is for Jack to make weight, but he announced his intention to move up before the fight.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I'm ready to see more of that ref.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he was the only one not to go down

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jigglesby posted:

I'm ready to see more of that ref.

Mercante? He's a very bad ref imo. He let Degale fight without a mouthpiece for a good deal of time. Very dangerous. He's also the dude who famously made Yuri Foreman fight for three rounds with one leg, refusing to let his corner end the fight

He also mishandled a fight way earlier and allowed one fighter, Beathaven Scotland, to die in the ring.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Yeah or nay to these Canelo-Chavez jr odds?

https://twitter.com/golfodds/status/820301457849131008

Vvv that's what I was thinking too. Outside chance Chavez manages to outlast Canelo and Homer Simpsons him

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 18, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I'd thrown a tenner on chavez at those odds

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was about to argue with anyone saying Arthur Mercante wasn't a great ref but this is his son, right? Who's like the Marvin Frazier of Refs?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, this is Arthur Mercante jr, who literally probably is only still getting big fights because people liked his dad.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
zab's back

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

I'd thrown a tenner on chavez at those odds

I guess I would too, but Chavez Jr hasn't fought below 168 in almost 5 years - when he fought Sergio Martinez in 2012. It's been a lot of smoking blunts, Big Macs, and skipping training camps for Chavez since then.

5 years is an eternity in boxing. The only guy he's fought in that time-frame who was anywhere near decent was Fonfara, who wrecked him. These days, I'd be impressed if Chavez even managed to make the 164.5 limit. And it's not like Chavez, who's prime was literally 5-6 years ago, was any great fighter to begin with. His best wins are against Andy Lee and Sebastian Zbik. He wouldn't have had a hope against Alvarez 5 years ago. Now, there's a good chance that he gets stopped. That's if he even makes weight. The only things he has going for him are that he's loving massive and has a good chin.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think Sergio at that point was pretty close to past it as well. I feel like a motivated Chavez could be worth a bet, but it seems like you are going to get paid out more often on a Canelo KO/TKO way more often than you will Chavez showing up in shape.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know poo poo about bets, are they off if Chavez doesn't make weight?

I'd have to imagine given everything JCCJr the Canelo camp is planning for that to happen and the fight to go on anyway.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Grittybeard posted:

I'd have to imagine given everything JCCJr the Canelo camp is planning for that to happen and the fight to go on anyway.

According to the reports Chavez Jr would be fined 1 million for each pound he weighs over 164.5

Edit: in before Chavez Jr negative 5 million purse.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 24, 2017

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

I am pretty sure it would depend on who was taking the wager, but pretty rarely is there a clause about weight, it is typically "Both must fight for any action". So if Canelo agreed to the fight after Chavez came in at like 170 with the extra payment penalty, the bets should still be valid.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Oscar's fallen off the wagon again so get ready for Canelo signing with Top Rank.

http://m.tmz.com/2017/01/25/oscar-de-la-hoya-arrested-for-dui/#news/

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That'd be good for Canelo I think.

Golden boy has just inked a deal with ESPN to put out a bunch of fights though, so that's pretty cool

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

New thread will be up before Frampton-Santa Cruz 2 this weekend. Sorry, this whole month has been kicking my rear end.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No worries man

Be sure to include the HBO boxing After dark card on there, I think Francisco Vargas is going to be in his third consecutive fight of the year.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since i've not been following boxing that long, is there any particular reason the peek a boo style seemed to start and end with Tyson or is that just wrong?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jose posted:

Since i've not been following boxing that long, is there any particular reason the peek a boo style seemed to start and end with Tyson or is that just wrong?

i'd be really interested in more knowledgeable responses but my take on it was that tyson was a truly unique fighter and the style was dictated by his fairly unique skillset. i still don't think i've seen anyone at hw move the way tyson did in his prime and his power was just loving stupid.

i think the style's rarity is proof of just how unique tyson was.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jose posted:

Nobody quite uses the peek a boo the way Mike did, which is due to his specific physique. He was significantly shorter than most of his opponents, which made closing distance and ducking really important. Peek-A-Boo has been used effectively before and since, just a bit differently.

It's definitely a thing Cus D'Amato loved though. You see it in a few of his other fighters too. Floyd Patterson is the first boxer who is really known for using it, though it doesn't look quite as dramatic

The Peek-A-Boo is pretty physically taxing though, especially when used as exclusively and intensely as Mike Tyson did. It's pretty hard on the back specifically. It's not a style that ages well.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Oh there's a rare sighting of Mikey Garcia tonight. Zlaticanin is a bit of a livewire from what I remember, if Garcia has lost a step he'll show it

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm putting the finishing touches on the new thread, probably won't be in time for the Showtime broadcast but hopefully will be posted by the main event.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lionel Richie posted:

Oh there's a rare sighting of Mikey Garcia tonight. Zlaticanin is a bit of a livewire from what I remember, if Garcia has lost a step he'll show it

Last time we saw Garcia he still looked really really good. Zlat is no pushover and should make things fun, but I think Garcia takes it.

I'll be relegated to the HBO card as my country doesn't get Showtime.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
How the hell did Santa Cruz's team wangle the rematch to be in Las Vegas despite losing?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

money, presumably

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol Mikey Garcia is someone I didn't expect to see

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Zlatan pretty terrible so far

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This Miura-Roman fight is fun, if a bit crude

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Dejan is an incredibly red man.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

yeah Garcia is destroying this dude so far

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007