Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Third episode lacked the 'wow' factor I got from the first two, but the cute parts were inoffensively cute, and the show teased enough of the larger goings-on to keep me invested. I'd say it easily passes the 3 episode test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Third episode lacked the 'wow' factor I got from the first two, but the cute parts were inoffensively cute, and the show teased enough of the larger goings-on to keep me invested. I'd say it easily passes the 3 episode test.

In the manga there actually was more of a story here, because the accident was set up and kyoma goes after the culprit.

Also the 3 episode test is dumb

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Droyer posted:

The 3 episode is the only thing preventing us from an anarchy where people finish shows they hate or drop things that are good 5 minutes in.

Alternatively, it's just a common tool people use that tends to provide enough time for the show to give its own fair shake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's nothing wrong with the three episode test unless people are applying it to everything and forcing themselves to watch stuff they hate just in case.
Alternatively, just watch stuff til you get bored.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah I need to watch this

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

There's nothing wrong with the three episode test unless people are applying it to everything and forcing themselves to watch stuff they hate just in case.
Alternatively, just watch stuff til you get bored.

It's what I tend to do. Even if it does mean I drop a series an episode before it finishes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Droyer posted:

In the manga there actually was more of a story here, because the accident was set up and kyoma goes after the culprit.

I wasn't a fan of that storyline, so putting it off or ditching it entirely is fine by me.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

That sounds like a dumb storyline they were smart to skip, TBH.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Droyer posted:

poo poo man, I didn't make it half an episode into Komugi-chan before I bailed. I'm just casting my vote for the sake of anyone reading the thread who's been on the fence.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Huh. I like this show so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I find it interesting that Mabuchi isn't an alcoholic. It is usually all but required for this type of character. But instead he seems to spend all his time maintaining his coil-free lifestyle without any other hobbies or interests.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Serious Frolicking posted:

I find it interesting that Mabuchi isn't an alcoholic. It is usually all but required for this type of character. But instead he seems to spend all his time maintaining his coil-free lifestyle without any other hobbies or interests.

don't drink and drive

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Have you ever worked on cars before? Elbow grease can be a hell of a drug.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

You don't count "busting sick moves" as a hobby?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
So what the hell was happening in the toilet. Does mira actually need to potty or was she sucking water from the bowl with that tail of hers.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
She says that she's water cooled so she has to expel and replace the fluid every so often. How she does it is up to your imagination.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
So far so good. Thing I like is that it feels kinda Cowboy Bebop-ish, like an animated pulp fiction magazine and not an animated glossy pervy magazine. Had hit a bad string of shows that I had NOPE-ed out of, so was nice to hit this and remember the kind of show that made me like Anime.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Yeah, I like it too but I'm not 100% sure why. I can sort of see the Bebop influence, but it has a bright, kind of "obvious" veneer which is reminiscent of a hybrid Japanese-American 80's action cartoon at heart. It's like a modern anime based on a 1986 spec script written by Larry Hama.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Is Mira's voice actress the same as yamada from working?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
No, it is Reina Ueda. It looks like this is her first big role. She has mostly had bit parts aside from a role in Jitsu wa and a couple crappy LN adaptations.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Curious to see where this is going, there's obviously a lot of gunk in the MC's past. Mira kinda reminds me of YKK a little bit.

I hope it just goes completely Eva with the eldritch dimensional poo poo.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

grrarg posted:

No, it is Reina Ueda. It looks like this is her first big role. She has mostly had bit parts aside from a role in Jitsu wa and a couple crappy LN adaptations.

Eh, the role she had in Hanayamata was the protagonist of that too, and looks like she's going to be the protagonist in Bakuon as well, but other than that yeah.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
Watched the first two episodes earlier and I have to say I was positively surprised.
For whatever reason I flash-backed to Giant Robo at the introduction part where the scientist goes "Mankind has finally obtained unlimited energy" and as the intro started rolling in I noticed that Yasuomi Umetsu had worked on it as animation director and key animation.
It's those funny Kazuma Kaneko esque eye lashes on the characters that gave him away.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
whoa wait what the heck nobody told me go shiina was doing the music on this show

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Episode 4
So, I wonder if the coils are just sucking all the energy out of dimension W then. Or increasing its entropy or something.

Mira is cute.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

The Colonel posted:

whoa wait what the heck nobody told me go shiina was doing the music on this show

wait what poo poo that explains why it loving owns

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Haha this is great. I love that the main character is a racist, anti-green-energy luddite.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whenever I read the name Loser I keep thinking of that song by G Dragon.

... I think it was G Dragon?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh no wait it was BIGBANG.

Fuckin' K-Pop groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CTced9CMMk

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wow this episode was certainty something else

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Haha this is great. I love that the main character is a racist, anti-green-energy luddite.

In his defense the green energy here does some freaky deaky poo poo. Wind power doesn't do that! Or at least not according to Big Wind it doesn't.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

a kitten posted:

Episode 4
So, I wonder if the coils are just sucking all the energy out of dimension W then. Or increasing its entropy or something.

Mira is cute.

The stupid thing is this was already explained in the manga by this stage of the story. There is all kinds of things they have skipped over in order to make the story go more quick.

I'm spoilering this even though it will probably never be explained in the anime.
The answer is no cause Dimension W is nothing but pure infinite probability, which can potentially be transformed into anything, not just electricity.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 1, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Thanks for the edit :)

It's an adaptation, why would you assume they won't explain something? It's a show, it's ongoing.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 1, 2016

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
This is only going to a 12 episode series, they are going too quick to bother explaining how poo poo actually works.

They even skipped over explaining how Kyoma can tell if a coil is illegal, which would of been in the first 3 episodes if they had retained it.

Anime adaptions of manga's or light novels the vast majority of the time leave out vital world building info. In these 4 episodes they have rushed through nearly 4 volumes of manga, there is only 9 volumes written.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 1, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
So, how is it that Kyouma can spot an illegal coil.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ka0 posted:

He's got Trump-Vision.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Well, some of them (like the ones in the first episode) are physically different, and they also implied others had more obvious physical differences. And one of his lines in the second episode implied you cannot use regular coils for illegal activity, so if something illegal happens with a coil, it is an illegal coil.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Droyer posted:

Well, some of them (like the ones in the first episode) are physically different, and they also implied others had more obvious physical differences. And one of his lines in the second episode implied you cannot use regular coils for illegal activity, so if something illegal happens with a coil, it is an illegal coil.

Wait, really? That is idiotic. Crime isn't gonna go away just because of an infinite energy source. By restricting their use to only legal acts they absolutely guarantee a market for illegal coils and illegal coils can make very bad things happen.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, really? That is idiotic. Crime isn't gonna go away just because of an infinite energy source. By restricting their use to only legal acts they absolutely guarantee a market for illegal coils and illegal coils can make very bad things happen.

You could also read it as "a coil used for an illegal activity is reclassified as an illegal coil" so :shrug:

edit: also Kyoma specified that the red color, and the subsequent events, weren't because they were illegal.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
The normal coil thingies don't just seem to be batteries, but also computers with always-active DRM reporting on your usage, which is necessary and accepted because ???

• Locked thread