Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'm basically only watching the show for Mira at this point, and even that is starting to wane with it rapidly sliding towards a "Mira is actually your dead wife, grats!" reveal.

I mean, among a ton of other poorly written things, but making the cute robot girl who sells your show less interesting should be a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"Mira is actually the headless body of your dead wife, congrats!" is more like it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, so in the current arc, we're following three guys with young female assistants. Two of them have dead wives. Two of them regularly kick around the girls following them. They're facing off against a heavily gay-coded villain who is implied to be somehow responsible for killing the two wives. The female lead is one of these guys' assistants. He regularly kicks her around. She is a partial reincarnation of his dead wife built by another guy in memory of his own dead wife (who may also have been killed by the creepy gay guy, though that's not seriously evidenced yet).

In another show, like, say, Victory Gundam or Evangelion, I might think that this was a result of a creator in a bad psychological place pouring his massive psychosexual hangups into his work. Dimension W seems too bland, derivative, and thematically incoherent for that, though - it feels more like the creator was pulling bits and pieces from famous works in neighbouring genres without pausing to consider what it all actually meant and what those other creators had been trying to do, bringing in a pile of extraneous, unexamined gunk that slowly builds up into something... kind of unfortunate.

The end result is hilariously loving weird, though.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I still think Dimension W is pretty good and am still really enjoying it. :colbert:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I still think Dimension W is pretty good and am still really enjoying it. :colbert:

:same:

I hope the revelation regarding Mira's body is gonna lead to Kyoma eventually treating her as a daughter.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Droyer posted:

:same:

I hope the revelation regarding Mira's body is gonna lead to Kyoma eventually treating her as a daughter.

It would be nice if this helps him become more accepting of robots in general.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

She's the only sentient robot though?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Are there 'robots in general', though? Mira seems pretty unique for having proper human sapience - every other robot we've seen is basically just a human-shaped machine without a particular personality. Except maybe Salva's assistant, though that's s grey area.

And it would be good if Kyouma and Mira have a romance-free parent-child relationship, but I just don't have enough confidence in the show for that. Particularly now Kyouma's started seeing his wife in Mira.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Droyer posted:

She's the only sentient robot though?

Yeah, forgot she was special. But what I'm getting at is that he's a bit misanthropic right now and if this causes him to open up to others and become a better person it would be a good direction for the show.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

built by another guy in memory of his own dead wife

This is incorrect. Mira's earliest memory is Dr. Yurizaki and her daughter being killed. In other words, she was created before that happened.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah, forgot she was special. But what I'm getting at is that he's a bit misanthropic right now and if this causes him to open up to others and become a better person it would be a good direction for the show.

I'm trying to think of a story where 'perky, cheery young girl pairs up with grumpy older man' hasn't led to the guy chilling out and learning to value life more, and I'm not having much success. Hell, wasn't that the core of the old 'manic pixie dream girl' concept?

What I'm saying is, I'd be real surprised if that wasn't the direction the show was going in.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 9, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

This is incorrect. Mira's earliest memory is Dr. Yurizaki and her daughter being killed. In other words, she was created before that happened.

Oh, right. Could have sworn Yurizaki said something about his wife before sending her out on her mission at the start of the series, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, so in the current arc, we're following three guys with young female assistants. Two of them have dead wives. Two of them regularly kick around the girls following them. They're facing off against a heavily gay-coded villain who is implied to be somehow responsible for killing the two wives. The female lead is one of these guys' assistants. He regularly kicks her around. She is a partial reincarnation of his dead wife built by another guy in memory of his own dead wife (who may also have been killed by the creepy gay guy, though that's not seriously evidenced yet).

In another show, like, say, Victory Gundam or Evangelion, I might think that this was a result of a creator in a bad psychological place pouring his massive psychosexual hangups into his work. Dimension W seems too bland, derivative, and thematically incoherent for that, though - it feels more like the creator was pulling bits and pieces from famous works in neighbouring genres without pausing to consider what it all actually meant and what those other creators had been trying to do, bringing in a pile of extraneous, unexamined gunk that slowly builds up into something... kind of unfortunate.

The end result is hilariously loving weird, though.
why is your idea of critical analysis just listing the things that happen in the show

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Dimension W: This Troper

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so these posts are weird and feel really cynical. the show obviously has issues with violence towards women (what even is Salva's deal) and dead wives as motivation. going so far as to say the villain is a creepy gay who killed the straight guys' wives is what seems like a leap to me, because the dude doesn't really pass anything but the lowest queer bar: he's a little showy. you also somehow think Kyoma is going to make a 180 and want to gently caress Mira because she has the same type of artificial body as his dead wife, that's weird! there is no rapport between the two beyond Mira constantly offering an olive branch that Kyoma shoots down because he hasn't dealt with his trauma. the body reveal seems designed to, at most, knock Kyoma out of being an rear end in a top hat to Mira (which is its own can of worms). finally, mpdg is a bad trope that its own creator hates, and should be killed. i don't think Mira qualifies because she is a pretty full character in her own right and has motivations entirely separate from Kyoma's/Kyoma's well being. his impending character growth isn't even due to her ~healing his tortured soul with constant kindness/support~, it's because she has the same body as his dead wife.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
idk i'm still enjoying it it's just fun dumb sci-fi poo poo

Some of yall need to relax your sphincters and be a little less severe about animes that aren't instant classic 11/10 show of the year material

e: not that I'm saying you shouldn't be critical and should just accept what you're given, just that there are better things to furrow your brow and get huffy about than some bad tropes in a Pretty Good But Not Great sci-fi anime where the science makes no sense

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 9, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

why is your idea of critical analysis just listing the things that happen in the show

... huh? I was just identifying some real weird patterns and inviting people to chat about them/what they mean/why they're there. This is, after all, a discussion forum.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

so these posts are weird and feel really cynical. the show obviously has issues with violence towards women (what even is Salva's deal) and dead wives as motivation. going so far as to say the villain is a creepy gay who killed the straight guys' wives is what seems like a leap to me, because the dude doesn't really pass anything but the lowest queer bar: he's a little showy. you also somehow think Kyoma is going to make a 180 and want to gently caress Mira because she has the same type of artificial body as his dead wife, that's weird! there is no rapport between the two beyond Mira constantly offering an olive branch that Kyoma shoots down because he hasn't dealt with his trauma. the body reveal seems designed to, at most, knock Kyoma out of being an rear end in a top hat to Mira (which is its own can of worms). finally, mpdg is a bad trope that its own creator hates, and should be killed. i don't think Mira qualifies because she is a pretty full character in her own right and has motivations entirely separate from Kyoma's/Kyoma's well being. his impending character growth isn't even due to her ~healing his tortured soul with constant kindness/support~, it's because she has the same body as his dead wife.

Well, yeah, I did refer to MPDG in the past tense for a reason - it's just a quick'n'dirty illustrator of a general plot type that it was used as a (derogatory) label for a subset of. I think I'm chiefly being cynical here because the show feels very much to me like a grab-bag of bits and pieces from a certain kind of seinen sci-fi - a little Darker than Black here, a little Cowboy Bebop there, maybe a spot of Bubblegum Crisis and Ghost in the Shell on the side. As a result, it's easy to view its plot developments in the context of those other shows rather than as its own, unique story it's telling. Mira and Kyouma's story just doesn't feel all that unique - I expect her kindness to be a key part in melting his heart and bringing him out of his shell because this is That Kind of Show.

That's not to say there isn't a fair amount of in-show stuff supporting it as well. He and his world are dark, drab, and gritty, in palette, framing, and character design, and she's this happy splash of colour intruding into all of that. The show uses her all the time to light scenes up literally and metaphorically, making it real easy to see how she's doing the same for her sourpuss partner even if he's a long way from admitting it. As for why it might be romantic - well, apart from how the show's drawing attention to her physical and mental similarities with Kyoma's wife, another peppy, sweet young girl who eventually dug in and found his soft, squishy centre, there's all those fanservice shots. They've been seriously playing her up as a sexual presence - the most prominent one in the show, in fact - and that's a pretty common way to signal that romance is on the menu for a character. I sort of feel that if the core relationship was supposed to end up paternal rather than romantic, they wouldn't be playing up how hot the robot girl looks so much, if you follow me.

As for the main villain, we had a short gag in which a secondary character called his avatar gay for only being interested in men, and then he turns out to be this ultra-swishy guy in heavy eyeshadow and a weird black energy gown. If they weren't trying to make us associate him as gay, they did a real poor job of it. They then say that he was probably responsible for the double-event that somehow killed Kyouma and Loser/Julian's wives. To be honest, I don't think that the show's actually trying to say anything here - it's just an intersection of anime villains from a certain genre often being pretty effeminate and the story leaning over-hard on dead wives as a quick-and-easy motivator (which of course the villain will be responsible for to make things personal and show how evil he is), but it's a pretty good demonstrator of how the story's careless use of common tropes can cause bits and pieces of it to mash together in pretty unfortunate ways.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Why is this show so drat good

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mira's cute as hell.
Kyoma is ruggedly handsome.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The show is just good enough to keep watching, but the OP and ED are just so drat catchy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

TriffTshngo posted:

Some of yall need to relax your sphincters and be a little less severe about animes that aren't instant classic 11/10 show of the year material

e: not that I'm saying you shouldn't be critical and should just accept what you're given, just that there are better things to furrow your brow and get huffy about than some bad tropes in a Pretty Good But Not Great sci-fi anime where the science makes no sense

This.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

TriffTshngo posted:

If my anime is not written by the great William Shakespeare-chan, it is trash.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sometimes people just don't like things, or at least not like them as much as others. It doesn't necessarily involve the work not being the next Cowboy Bebop, or having something shoved up your butt.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Butt Ghost posted:

Sometimes people just don't like things, or at least not like them as much as others. It doesn't necessarily involve the work not being the next Cowboy Bebop, or having something shoved up your butt.

I like it, the spooky episode was the only one I would rate "bad" of the series, which wasn't even that terrible. It kinda gives a DtB/CB vibe to it without being too overly topish to carry itself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is an okay show. The first couple episodes made it seem better than it was, is all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The overall conspiracy thriller plot of this show was better than that of DtB, but DtB was much better at characterisation.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'm really enjoying the dub, everyone sounds pretty spot on

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, are we supposed to like Salva now?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The show ended. It was ok.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It was okay. Kyoma finally became a decent character. Salva turned out to be pretty rad, though he's always had presence. Rip coolest guy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

It was okay. Kyoma finally became a decent character. Salva turned out to be pretty rad, though he's always had presence. Rip coolest guy.

Kind of weird how they just glossed over how Salva was introduced talking about the wonders of slavery, beating up his girlfriend/bodyguard, and frying his underlings for incompetence, though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i skipped a lot of the episode when the typical "the kyoma i know/are you gonna run away" speech started

also that final fight had like 0 tension

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone know if this was an anime only ending, whether the manga is still ongoing? Because the finality of it all seemed rather sudden.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mordja posted:

Anyone know if this was an anime only ending, whether the manga is still ongoing? Because the finality of it all seemed rather sudden.

As far as I can tell it just switched from a weekly series to a monthly one last November while announcing the start of a new arc, so probably continuing with the anime covering it's last arc before switching, if I had to guess.

There is still kinda a loose end with the whole Mira learning about human hearts and crap, and the end honestly looked liked a better series than what we got, so...

Wouldn't get my hopes up though. Changing magazines is usually something that happens just before the axe falls, and I don't know how much left there is to do. I mean, I was hoping for a more episodic series to begin with just tough guy and cute robot having wacky adventures together, but plot-wise it does feel like the only one who didn't walk out of episode 12 with their personal arc completed is Mira.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 28, 2016

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Dimension W started out looking somewhat promising, but it seemed to quickly abandon its initial concept and dive headfirst into madness. Each episode just confounded me more than the ones that came before it. Most of the characters served no apparent purpose, and the Dimension W tech itself turned out to be pretty silly as well. Moments that seemed intended to get an emotional response invariably just left me asking "Who? What? Why??" as the show rewrote its own rules and pulled magic out of thin air.

After episode 11 I wrote a longer reaction:

quote:

The premise is that unlimited energy is now accessible via "energy coils" that tap into "Dimension W", an alternate dimension of pure magic and possibility, or something like that. The actual workings of this dimension start out pretty vague, and manage to make less and less sense as we learn more about it. In practice, Dimension W is just whatever the show currently needs it to be, which usually comes down to something involving someone-or-another's tragically deceased girlfriend.

There's a potentially interesting thread in the idea that energy coils are tracked and monitored, but the show completely ignores the surveillance and privacy implications, seemingly not even noticing that they exist. The world also doesn't feel believably like a place revolutionized by infinite energy. Energy coils are used to power stuff, a few people have robot bodies, and that's about the extent of it, at least when energy coils aren't malfunctioning and ripping holes in the universe. Hooray for needlessly dangerous technology that's barely being utilized.

Having a nonsensical universe can sometimes be workable, if the characters and their journey is meaningful enough to make up for it. Unfortunately, Dimension W doesn't really deliver there either. Our main character is Kyoma, a grumpy luddite whose job is to seek out and collect illegal coils. Kyoma hates coils, which we know because someone randomly tells us "Kyoma hates coils" every few minutes in the first several episodes.

Kyoma's assistant is a robot girl named Mira, who he hates (because coils!), and who may or may not actually be his dead girlfriend. (Update: Not exactly!) Mira has some cute moments which are generally the highlight of the show, but aren't really enough to make up for its other shortcomings. There's also a guy named Loser, which is a wonderful name for a character. He's a failed thief whose attempted heists have become a spectator sport. He's pretty fun, at least early on. Other characters seem to appear and disappear from the story with no reason or explanation, and it's often unclear what purpose any of them serve.

Four episodes in, the show leaps off the rails with a two-episode haunted house arc in which we discover that Dimension W can house dreamworlds made from memories of alternate timelines and the ghosts of peoples' dead girlfriends, or something goofy like that. It's honestly hard to even write about this show because of how quickly it's piled up nonsensical story threads.

I've seen comments suggesting that this arc needed more episodes to be fleshed out better, but I'd actually say the opposite: this story maybe could have worked as a streamlined single-episode diversion in the middle of a show twice this length, where it could be sandwiched between some episodic coil-collecting adventures to develop the characters and set up their idea of normalcy before shattering that normalcy for a story climax, a la Cowboy Bebop, but in Dimension W it's just a weird derail that precedes the even weirder derail that overtakes the show's plot. What do Evil Steve Jobs, the flamboyant technician from Gurren Lagann, and an African cyborg prince have to do with each other? As far as I can tell, the answer to this question is "basically nothing".

Then a few episodes later, we're suddenly introduced to a massive number of new tertiary characters who are comically incongrous with each other and the rest of the Dimension W universe, and have no apparent narrative purpose. They're like this show's equivalent of the "Sense of Right Alliance", the bootleg-knockoff superhero toy set for sad children, that pairs Batman and Spider-Man with a Power Ranger, a talking Pixar car, and Shrek.

Dimension W's Sense of Right Alliance is like a set of ethnic stereotypes as remembered by someone from a parallel universe, and includes such unforgettable characters as "Mexican guy with sewn-shut eyes and shark-toothed catgirl girlfriend", "morbidly-obese Norwegian twins with hands bigger than their abdomens", and "geriatric Aquaman cosplayer". They mostly exist to occupy a lot of screentime and make the story even less coherent.

In the end, the Sense of Right Alliance amounts to nothing, Kyoma meets up with Loser and an old war buddy, and our heroes end up on Easter Island to face off against a genius scientist who went mad and started wearing a lot of eyeliner when his teleportation experiments were confiscated. He steals a magical do-anything coil and restarts his teleportation experiments in secret, turning hundreds of human test subjects into exploded piles of goop. And because dead girlfriends are apparently Dimension W's one and only consistent narrative theme, his plan also involved turning Loser's wife into a giant killer tentacle monster, for some reason.

I'm doubting that much of this will make more sense after the final episode airs. Dimension W is a show in which few things make any sense or add up to any coherent whole, but it's not even as entertaining a trainwreck as that description might imply. It's just bewildering and disappointing.

To end on a positive note, the OP and ED are quite good, much better than the show they're attached to. The ED theme is especially fantastic, and the OP has a fun song full of memorably broken English that's charming in the same way as the lyrics to Black Lagoon's OP, accompanied by stylish action visuals from the better show that Dimension W initially looked like it was going to be.

Episode 12 continued the bewilderment, and the last 30 seconds or so after the end credits were a good reminder of the show Dimension W looked like it was going to be originally, as a final disappointing "remember how much better this could have been?"

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 28, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the end they did jack poo poo with the whole "follow the illegal coils" thing. Kyouma awkwardly justified it as being about Easter Island, except that place had absolutely nothing to do with the production of illegal coils. I kinda doubt that Mira's father's plan was to have her go there, burn out a normal coil, and then show up as a ghost to provide a vaguely special replacement.

Also, Loser just kinda dropped dead without ever really accomplishing any of his goals. So his moniker was actually a completely accurate description.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I dropped this the episode after the haunted house arc wrapped up, when it introduced the African moguls. Not out of any particular dislike, but more because I couldn't be bothered to keep up. It sounds like I made the right decision. Still, at least I'll occasionally remember those first few episodes and Mira cleaning out the old camper van. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It was alright. Not the greatest, but a long way from the worst. I'd probably watch more if there ever was any.

Mira is the cutest.

• Locked thread