Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Droyer posted:

In the manga there actually was more of a story here, because the accident was set up and kyoma goes after the culprit.

Also the 3 episode test is dumb

I wasn't a fan of that storyline, so putting it off or ditching it entirely is fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I find it interesting that Mabuchi isn't an alcoholic. It is usually all but required for this type of character. But instead he seems to spend all his time maintaining his coil-free lifestyle without any other hobbies or interests.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Droyer posted:

Well, some of them (like the ones in the first episode) are physically different, and they also implied others had more obvious physical differences. And one of his lines in the second episode implied you cannot use regular coils for illegal activity, so if something illegal happens with a coil, it is an illegal coil.

Wait, really? That is idiotic. Crime isn't gonna go away just because of an infinite energy source. By restricting their use to only legal acts they absolutely guarantee a market for illegal coils and illegal coils can make very bad things happen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, I had misunderstood the basic premise I guess. I thought that normal coils were perfectly safe, but if anyone tampering with them can cause a non-euclidean hellscape event they kind of need that level of monitoring. Kind of silly how widespread they are if some dude loving around with his cell phone could break reality, though!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Slime posted:

I'm assuming official coils have some safeguards to stop them from going haywire, which illegal ones probably lack. Honestly if official coils could be used for crime, illegal coils probably wouldn't exist in significant numbers and there's actually be a whole lot less problems.

That is also what I assumed until I read this:

Droyer posted:

You could also read it as "a coil used for an illegal activity is reclassified as an illegal coil" so :shrug:

edit: also Kyoma specified that the red color, and the subsequent events, weren't because they were illegal.

So, that dude in episode 2 would have had the same results if he had messed with a broken regular coil.

Edit: Like, having infinite free energy would still be a step up even with the potential danger, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of caution about normal coils. The monitoring is necessary because of the danger, but people accept the monitoring without anyone mentioning that danger. poo poo's weird, is all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 1, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mirage posted:

It's possible that New Tesla may just tell people "We need to monitor your cells or else you will die of Undefined Bad poo poo, seriously you don't want to know, but trust us, it'll be a bad scene" and people go "Oh, okay, definitely don't want that." In the meantime, hey, free energy!

This last episode kinda lost me. I'm torn between going to read the manga to see if any of that stuff made sense, and riding it out in hopes that the story aligns somehow.

If they don't go into specifics people will come up with crazier ideas than your cell phone battery getting cracked in your pocket resulting in a tessellated dick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blhue posted:

don't sign your posts

I don't think that works very well in this case.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure if the whole situation is just lazy writing or a way to show how coils are so beyond human ken that sticking a (and likely the first and only) self-aware robot in the mix doesn't mean a thing. It is almost certainly the former, but I like the idea of the latter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mira pretended not to be a robot in episode 2 and then she pretended to be a normal robot in episode 4. NTE knows that she exists, but not that she is anything special. Considering all the time and effort they spent hunting down their founder there is no way they would leave a robot that might have some of his secrets alone. Really, Mira's only advantage is that no one knows that her father even had a robot so no one is even looking for her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like the conclusion, that it was his own alternate reality ghost which killed him. Everything leading up to and following from that was pretty bad, though!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This show started out strong with Loser, but in the last arc Loser was present and didn't do anything. That sucked balls.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It could have been worse. They could have adapted the entire kid arc, where Kyouma randomly decided he gave a drat about elementary school exam fixing of all things.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sentient robots aren't really a thing in this setting. Kyouma is an antisocial luddite and he doesn't really consider Mira a person. Just look at how he treated that cyborg kid by comparison.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
coils actually generate electricity by tapping into the dead wife dimension

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"Mira is actually the headless body of your dead wife, congrats!" is more like it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is an okay show. The first couple episodes made it seem better than it was, is all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the end they did jack poo poo with the whole "follow the illegal coils" thing. Kyouma awkwardly justified it as being about Easter Island, except that place had absolutely nothing to do with the production of illegal coils. I kinda doubt that Mira's father's plan was to have her go there, burn out a normal coil, and then show up as a ghost to provide a vaguely special replacement.

Also, Loser just kinda dropped dead without ever really accomplishing any of his goals. So his moniker was actually a completely accurate description.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

There's definitely been way worse shows. 7/10 would watch reruns on toonami.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why is this show so okay

• Locked thread