Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

EDIT: I'd decided to re-read the series, since it's almost over, and literally read the chapter where Tsurumi first says this the day after the most recent RAWs dropped and had an OH MAN moment, but thought I should wait for the translation to come out before posting in the thread. Well I waited, but looks like the end-notes spoiled the surprise. Oh well.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The look on Tsurumi's face when he lost the bones was heartbreaking

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm so glad the translators go above and beyond with the notes or I'd never recognize any of the callbacks.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I wish that we got tl notes of this calibre with every callback-heavy and pun-laden series (one piece lookin at u)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

gently caress, man

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dayum.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Every musing about how the cycle of revenge is futile was wrong, seeing Tsurumi eat poo poo is incredibly satisfying after all these years

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
god drat, i hadn't read any of this since mangadex went down. going from chp 272 to current in one sitting sure was a ride. i can't believe i randomly decided to catch-up only to run into the ultimate cliffhanger of the series

Plutonis posted:

The look on Tsurumi's face when he lost the bones was heartbreaking

not just lost the bones, chose the deed over them with no hesitation

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Finale

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
And that's all folks.

Hell of a ride, and the TL team went above and beyond in their efforts.

Dunno what I feel about the afterword though: "I had a deadline set for me by external factors , and as a result the art suffered, and I almost killed myself finishing the series in time. Anyway, now I am going to go back and fix all the art I am not happy about for volume releases." Being a mangaka sure is tough.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

loved this series

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I really enjoyed this ending. What a great series. Already looking forward to finding out what Noda's next project will be.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Grevling posted:

I really enjoyed this ending. What a great series. Already looking forward to finding out what Noda's next project will be.

He’s planning on rebooting his hockey manga iirc

I hope he’s doing well, guy made a hell of a series

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

landing stuck. one of the all-time great serialized manga, in my opinion. Thanks again to everyday-heroes and houseofglass for bringing it every week. Reading those last end notes on mobile was a bitch

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Told you.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just caught up from where I last left off on hearing that it ended. loving excellent series.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A+

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hmm...I'm a bit disappointed by the last chapter but overall it's an amazing series.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

im fine with a movie-style "and heres what happened to the gang". felt like a credits sequence. the climax was the last chapter, this was just like a reunion. also lol holy poo poo shiraishi

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So long Golden Kamuy, you were enjoyed. Thanks for all your work HouseofGlass!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Found that rather disappointing. I know it's common for these things to end in panels describing characters fates but the skip from the cliffhanger ending of the last chapter to just... "Here's the result" was a let down for me. Rather than the tension exploding I feel like it just deflated. Feels like Im missing a chapter, definitely feels compressed at the finish.

I hugely enjoyed the train to hell, especially when the manga goes "gently caress it, there is also a bear on board".

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

There will be a few more pages in the tankobon release.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Lethemonster posted:

Found that rather disappointing. I know it's common for these things to end in panels describing characters fates but the skip from the cliffhanger ending of the last chapter to just... "Here's the result" was a let down for me. Rather than the tension exploding I feel like it just deflated. Feels like Im missing a chapter, definitely feels compressed at the finish.

I hugely enjoyed the train to hell, especially when the manga goes "gently caress it, there is also a bear on board".

Yeah, but really we already knew Sugimoto was going to survive the crash, he's immortal after all

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, but really we already knew Sugimoto was going to survive the crash, he's immortal after all

how many times a guy gotta tell you who he is before you believe him

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Tanigaki just did not pull out, huh

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nihei also had fifteen kids. Dude's just following in his dad's footsteps.

Solid ending, though a bit quick. Glad the published volumes will be a bit more complete. All the same, thanks to the team who brought us the translations with all the historical notes at the end. Top shelf stuff.

Also, it's a little thing, but I liked how Ume got remarried and had her eyes fixed long before Sugimoto was able to deliver her share. Toraji was so worried nobody would be there to take care of her, but she found someone. And Sugimoto isn't upset at all; he fulfilled his promise to his friend (and of course the gold can be used in other ways), and he's also moved on.

"The child would later die of a cold."

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 30, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
great end to an excellent series. many thanks to the entire scanlating team, those chapter end notes have consistently been some of the best i've ever read

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Best scanlation I've ever read. You guys deserve all the praise you get and more.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I will always enjoy how even if a character likes Sugimoto they're always a little afraid of him. A good series.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Tanigaki just did not pull out, huh

Noda said he has the biggest nuts of the cast, he has a lot of stuff inside those

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
would have liked to see tsukishima die but a great series nonetheless

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
Great story, even if the end felt a little bit rushed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i just finished this, i hadn't read any manga in a long time and this was a good read. i like how it shows a lot of historical places in hokkaido and feels a bit like a big travel ad for the region despite all of the violence

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm so glad Vasily was okay ;_;

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Golden Kamuy won an award! https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-05-20/golden-kamuy-manga-wins-japan-cartoonists-association-award/.185870

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Just finished binging.

10 / 10 in my opinion. Haven't felt that much hype reading a manga in a long time.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I stumbled upon a Golden Kamuy art exhibition today while on vacation in Fukuoka, and it was pretty great. I took some pictures, cellphone only for some reason (I don't really get why they didn't allow proper cameras) so they're pretty bad because my phone is real old.

There were a ton of full size prints on the walls:

gallery

Replicas of some of the main characters equipment:

gallery

Some great display pieces:

And my favorite; a wall of color splash pages and other art:

gallery
I made sure to get close ups of some of my favorites as well

There was also a section where photography was prohibited that had a large painting of Tanigaki absolutely bulging while peeling an egg. It was wonderful.

I'm sure there are better photos of this exhibition out there for the curious. With the cellphone only-rule and the huge crowd of people, getting any good shots was impossible,. But I wanted to share what I got anyway.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Good looking out, that exhibit looks amazing.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I just saw the rest of season 4 is coming back in April 2023. Not sure if they're going to do any additional episodes or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mons Hubris posted:

I just saw the rest of season 4 is coming back in April 2023. Not sure if they're going to do any additional episodes or anything.

There's a thread for the anime, but yeah it went on hiatus because an undisclosed staff member passed away. They're coming back in April and starting back from episode 1 of season 4, before getting to the new stuff later