Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

shiraishi really needs to catch a break :(

well he's about to be doing some catching, that's for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
"Oh no Shiraishi is in quite a pickle... but who is this on the horizon? Why it's Ryu, the epic Hokkaido Ken, here to save him! Hell yeah this is awesome!!!"
-Me, hopefully, while reading the next chapter

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

What does Sinna Kisar mean again?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Explosions posted:

What does Sinna Kisar mean again?

I think it was something regarding having big ears.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

shiraishi really needs to catch a break :(

nah

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
In before Shiraishi and a heavily drunk Ushiyama solve this problem all by themselves while Sugimoto and Asirpa have a largely uneventful stay, never realizing how much danger they were in.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

In before Shiraishi and a heavily drunk Ushiyama solve this problem all by themselves while Sugimoto and Asirpa have a largely uneventful stay, never realizing how much danger they were in.

I don't know if it's going to be that uneventful, considering the last page in this latest chapter

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

She'll get kidnapped but sleep through the whole thing.

By the time she wakes up Shiraishi will have already rescued her and returned her to her bed.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I need to see Ushiyama brutally going to town on some fools - Judo Style.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm mostly speculating here but thus far the narrative has been pretty consistent about Shiraishi being competent and useful only when nobody's around to acknowledge it.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
You know which other character was consistently competent so far? Ryu. Think about it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ryu defended his master's body against not one but two Hokkaido wolves at the same time.

That's a good dog.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love how most of the characters in this manga are real bros who just happen to be on opposite teams.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

New chap.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
haha gently caress, what a chapter

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:sigh: i'm not looking forward to going 2 for 2 on ruined gay ships. stay safe, ienaga

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Ienaga is toast.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
New chapter!

By the way, apparently both Ushiyama and Shiraishi were modeled off of real people.

Shiraishi's model was Yoshie Shiratori and Ushiyama's was Tatsukuma Ushijima

They both led pretty crazy lives, apparently!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AsukaFan posted:

New chapter!

By the way, apparently both Ushiyama and Shiraishi were modeled off of real people.

Shiraishi's model was Yoshie Shiratori and Ushiyama's was Tatsukuma Ushijima

They both led pretty crazy lives, apparently!

Holy poo poo the resemblance is uncanny.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
haha, ushiyama tried to assassinate tojo. man, wartime japan was hilariously lenient when it came to assassinations of officials (because they were usually done under the auspices of other factions who could not be openly opposed), in contrast to germany

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
hahaha, this series is simply a love letter to cool stories set in historical times

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh my loving god it's Yojimbo with Golden Kamui characters :syoon:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Things jut keep getting more hype.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have jumped into golden kamui pretty much blind except knowing about it being set in the early 1900's and I have been hoodwinked into reading a cooking manga!!

This thread should be called "golden kamui: encountering the majesty of nature, then eating it"

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
this thread has one of the most perfect titles in the forum actually, I enjoy it every time I see it

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Everything Burrito posted:

this thread has one of the most perfect titles in the forum actually, I enjoy it every time I see it

(Actually, Highway to the Fujo Zone is pretty great too. I hear the song every time.)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
There are certain phrases that seem to possess a sort of intrinsic beauty.

"Full-body asscrack" is one of these phrases.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

I wish this was in color, drat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's crazy that this is only 20 pages a chapter. Each one feels like a 40 page monthly with all that's going on all the time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've been waiting all this time for that one old guy to do something and he didn't disappoint. The greatest swordsman indeed.

Golden Kamui is a surprisingly ambitious little series when you get down to it, juggling so many characters and plot lines and distinctive story elements. More has happened in the six volumes we've read so far than in twice as many volumes in several other series. Even so, none of it feels rushed or cramped or pressed for time. Everything's unfolding in a way that feels right, which is quite impressive considering how jam packed with content it is.

The guy who wrote this has a solid understanding of his craft. Gonna try and check out his hockey manga sometime, and I don't even care about hockey.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I just love how irreverent Golden Kamui feels. It's definitely taking itself almost seriously, but it never, ever abandons its sense of humor, and it's got that in spades.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a comedy series with brief bouts of intense, grotesque seriousness

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I laugh pretty much every time the ear gag comes up despite how disgusting the first one was

e: which I also laughed at

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the thing about this series is that it isn't afraid to go off on weird digressions, like the hh holmes references, or the yojimbo homage

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

new chapter

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the yojimbo arc was amazing and this manga deserves more praise

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Shiraishi is the best.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

the yojimbo arc was amazing and this manga deserves more praise

I bet it would get more attention with an anime, but I'm not sure how likely that is to happen. It's not like they have a lot of fluent Ainu speakers to do the voice acting, and there's a decent chunk of Ainu dialogue. Sure, they get non-native speakers to do an awful job speaking English all the time, but it might be a different thing when it's the language of a native ethnic group that could potentially get upset about it. It's hard to say, maybe I'm completely wrong and it's just a matter of time!

And yeah, the Yojimbo arc is great. I've never seen the movie before and I watched it after I started the arc, and it's amazing just how packed full of little references and homages the whole arc is. You can tell how much of a passion project this is for Noda.

HouseofGlass fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 15, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I've never got the impression racial issues were a big concern for japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well they always treated the Ainu like poo poo so speaking broken Ainu wouldn't be a big deal I guess.