Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

HukHukHuk posted:

new chapter so very sick

After they got off the train to Hakodate uneventfully I thought we'd missed our chance for a fun train action setpiece. I'm glad I was wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 306 So about 11 chapters further than the last linked chapter.

Say goodbye as your favorites continue to die.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hypocrisy posted:

As if mere point-blank grenades or traumatic brain injury could kill any of these dudes!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hypocrisy posted:

Please tell me that the bear’s okay

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Gotta love how the bear mutilates those mooks with the slightest touch

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

trucutru posted:

As if mere point-blank grenades or traumatic brain injury could kill any of these dudes!

Seriously.

Audible gasp from me at the jigen-ryu action in this one. Love Koito.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Negostrike posted:

Gotta love how the bear mutilates those mooks with the slightest touch

That's basically what bears do irl.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 307

trucutru posted:

Half right!

Unrelated, Koito's growth from where he started is quite something.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
I only half-agree with you on Koito. He's matured some, but I feel like Noda is trying to sell his character as having become more "noble" when he's still basically a piece of poo poo. I'm still not entirely sure if that's Noda's bias or if Noda is just trying to show the good side of each character like he always tries to.

Like Koito has continued to fight for a cause that's a literal military dictatorship. Compared to the other main causes in the manga, Tsurumi's is by far the most "evil." (And of course it's also the cause closest to what actually happened in Japan). Even on a micro level, Koito just got done helping steal the last hope from this emotionally-devastated 12 year old girl. But he apparently doesn't seem to care about that at all. His only issues with Tsurumi are that A) Tsurumi lied to him and B) his men could get hurt in the process. Even characters like Sugimoto who aren't personally invested in a cause have brought up their moral issues with the causes that they're helping fight for. Koito seems to constantly get all the benefits of being treated as noble even though what he's actually doing is anything but.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

HouseofGlass posted:

I only half-agree with you on Koito. He's matured some, but I feel like Noda is trying to sell his character as having become more "noble" when he's still basically a piece of poo poo. I'm still not entirely sure if that's Noda's bias or if Noda is just trying to show the good side of each character like he always tries to.

Like Koito has continued to fight for a cause that's a literal military dictatorship. Compared to the other main causes in the manga, Tsurumi's is by far the most "evil." (And of course it's also the cause closest to what actually happened in Japan). Even on a micro level, Koito just got done helping steal the last hope from this emotionally-devastated 12 year old girl. But he apparently doesn't seem to care about that at all. His only issues with Tsurumi are that A) Tsurumi lied to him and B) his men could get hurt in the process. Even characters like Sugimoto who aren't personally invested in a cause have brought up their moral issues with the causes that they're helping fight for. Koito seems to constantly get all the benefits of being treated as noble even though what he's actually doing is anything but.

I don't think Noda intends for Koito to come across as a good person. I think his character arc is meant to show his maturation into his own person. Like in his debut, Koito was just a hoity-toity noble haplessly enthralled by Tsurumi's force of will. Now he's brave enough to fight and beat Hijikata in single combat and compassionate enough to try to protect his comrade from Tsurumi. When it comes to actual morality he's iffy at best, but so is most everyone else in the story aside from Asirpa.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Down With People posted:

I don't think Noda intends for Koito to come across as a good person. I think his character arc is meant to show his maturation into his own person. Like in his debut, Koito was just a hoity-toity noble haplessly enthralled by Tsurumi's force of will. Now he's brave enough to fight and beat Hijikata in single combat and compassionate enough to try to protect his comrade from Tsurumi. When it comes to actual morality he's iffy at best, but so is most everyone else in the story aside from Asirpa.

I see people say a lot of variations on that last line, but to me that always came across as an excuse/justification, especially when dealing with the 7th Division. A lot of people do a lot of morally grey things in the manga, but it's also a manga about people fighting for causes. Asirpa has a noble cause, and I'd say so did Kiroranke/Sofia's "faction" and Hijikata's "faction." By contrast, Koito is someone fighting for a faction that is absolutely not morally grey (it's made even less so in the volume changes where Tsurumi explicitly says that he sees that Ainu as enemies, but his attitude towards the Ainu was pretty clear from the moment he threatened to kill Ariko's entire family). What rubs me the wrong way I guess is it feels like Noda entirely ignores this whenever he deals with Koito's feelings towards Tsurumi and the cause of the 7th Division, and instead focuses entirely on his own personal issues. It feels like a cheap way to make him look like a morally troubled character without ever having him face up to the actual poo poo he's helping perpetuate.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

hey houseofglass, thanks to you and the rest of everydayheroes for letting us english-readers experience this banger of a manga so fast and at such high quality for so long

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

MizuZero posted:

hey houseofglass, thanks to you and the rest of everydayheroes for letting us english-readers experience this banger of a manga so fast and at such high quality for so long

Thanks, that means a lot to me! Especially now, since as a fan of Hijisquad these past couple chapters have been pretty drat rough and sent my motivation down about as far as it can go. But at least I can be motivated that other people are enjoying what I’m working on, and hopefully something happens to get me back on board again before an actually difficult to work on chapter drops!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I haven't posted much here but I just wanted to point out that the coiled snakes pattern used as shading on Tsurumi in that one panel rules.

The legend of Ushiyama will live forever, as told by bears.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I also want to say I'm very grateful for all the work on the translation and accompanying notes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HouseofGlass posted:

I see people say a lot of variations on that last line, but to me that always came across as an excuse/justification, especially when dealing with the 7th Division. A lot of people do a lot of morally grey things in the manga, but it's also a manga about people fighting for causes. Asirpa has a noble cause, and I'd say so did Kiroranke/Sofia's "faction" and Hijikata's "faction." By contrast, Koito is someone fighting for a faction that is absolutely not morally grey (it's made even less so in the volume changes where Tsurumi explicitly says that he sees that Ainu as enemies, but his attitude towards the Ainu was pretty clear from the moment he threatened to kill Ariko's entire family). What rubs me the wrong way I guess is it feels like Noda entirely ignores this whenever he deals with Koito's feelings towards Tsurumi and the cause of the 7th Division, and instead focuses entirely on his own personal issues. It feels like a cheap way to make him look like a morally troubled character without ever having him face up to the actual poo poo he's helping perpetuate.

Koito is an early 20th century Japanese soldier (e: from a military family). There would be nothing weird with him considering a military dictatorship a noble cause and all the awful poo poo they have done an unfortunate necessity. If that's close to the way he thinks, then there is no need for excuses/justifications, he just has a very different moral code.

Hypocrisy posted:

Half right!

Pffft, he just decided to show off one last time.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 2, 2022

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I still believe in Vasily!!!!!

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Rody One Half posted:

I still believe in Vasily!!!!!

No way is he dead. Sniperdome 1908 is still going.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Amazing new chapter. runaway train to hell is such a perfect capstone to this series

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:qq:

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
I figured the "melting" imagery with Asirpa was leading somewhere, but that still caught me off guard. I'm genuinely wondering where Noda is going to go with this, since I assume it won't be a simple "once you kill someone, you're beyond redemption." Not that Ogata is dead yet, but she was fully intending to kill him so it's not like it really changes anything even if someone else finishes him off or whatever.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Asirpa's eyes turning black is a nice touch. Tsurumi sure raised a lot of flags by outlining his
future plans. That deed probably is toast, too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chapter 310

There goes Sniperdome...

copy
Jul 26, 2007

jesus christ

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Fuckin yikes

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

death train keeps on rolling

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
These guys are a masterclass on dying.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
#blessed

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Sounds like Season 4 of the anime is back in October.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Chapter 312

So good :kiss:

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
And since nobody’s mentioned it yet, Young Jump announced that GK will be ending with chapter 314. So only two chapters left!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

might be strange to say as we near the end of a manga that’s run for close to eight years but I wish we had a little more time with these characters. the train is moving at breakneck speed and while we’ve gotten some incredible finales for a few characters two chapters doesn’t feel like enough time to say goodbye

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have faith Noda will stick the landing.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm just an anime watcher but I gotta know: Is Ogata still alive?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

I'm just an anime watcher but I gotta know: Is Ogata still alive?

He went out with a bang

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 313

The penultimate chapter.

Just want to say how much I appreciate the notes at the end of each chapter.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Goddamn.

I should have seen this coming, but still.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Sugimoto will be fine: he’s immortal after all

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

thetoughestbean posted:

Sugimoto will be fine: he’s immortal after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru